Stratocaster closet finds :D

Telecasterplayer

Tele-Meister
I have been asked by the owner of these Strats to clean them up and bring them back to life.

He bought the Monaco Yellow 1981 in 1985 and played it until about the early 1990:s and then left it in a closet until now.

The white one ( bought in 1987 ) is from 1966 or -67 and it has seen a lot of touring ( in it´s first 20 years ) but does not seem to be worn out, it had lived in the same closet for the last 30 years or so :D

I am going to have a closer look at them and make them playable again and the owner said that if he decides to sell them I will buy them from him if we can agree on a price.

I will post more about the Strats later on.

Attachments

• DSCN2649.JPG
    DSCN2649.JPG
    153.1 KB · Views: 181
Last edited:

Telecasterplayer

Tele-Meister
The case of the white strat is a "Järnacase".

Fenders sold new in Sweden in the 1960:s came without the black Fendercases and instead got cases made in Järna väskfabrik, south of Stockholm. Hagström Guitars had the same cases.

Attachments

• DSCN2627 - Copy.JPG
    DSCN2627 - Copy.JPG
    152.7 KB · Views: 68
Last edited:

Telecasterplayer

Tele-Meister
The 81 has two Dimarzios and the 66 ( or 67 ) has had the bridge / saddels replaced at some point in its life, there seem to have been tree toggleswitches too and worst of all: a spraycan repaint. I do not know if this was an olympic white from the begining but I will try to find out what it was originally.

Attachments

• DSCN2635 - Copy.JPG
    DSCN2635 - Copy.JPG
    144.1 KB · Views: 61
  • DSCN2642 - Copy.JPG
    DSCN2642 - Copy.JPG
    143.9 KB · Views: 59
Last edited:

Telecasterplayer

Tele-Meister
The fretboards are disgusting but I will try to clean them up and make them playable again. All of the strings were rusty.

Attachments

• DSCN2631 - Copy.JPG
    DSCN2631 - Copy.JPG
    240.6 KB · Views: 42
  • DSCN2632 - Copy.JPG
    DSCN2632 - Copy.JPG
    173.3 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:

Telecasterplayer

Tele-Meister
My own Strat is an American Standard from 2014, bought new by me and after 8 years of daily use it was a bit dirty but turned out this nice after a good cleaning and polishing up.

Now back to the other Strats.

Attachments

• DSCN0004 - Copy.JPG
    DSCN0004 - Copy.JPG
    121.6 KB · Views: 25

Telekarster

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
Cool guitars! I'm a bit bewildered at the Olympic white one i.e. 66-67, wouldn't this have been nitro finished? If so how has it not managed to turn to the yellowish tint, even being in its case, after all these years?

Looking forward to more pics of the electronics and neck pockets etc.! Neat guitars man!

Telecasterplayer

Tele-Meister
Cool guitars! I'm a bit bewildered at the Olympic white one i.e. 66-67, wouldn't this have been nitro finished? If so how has it not managed to turn to the yellowish tint, even being in its case, after all these years?

Looking forward to more pics of the electronics and neck pockets etc.! Neat guitars man!
Thanks. I am a little surprised that the olympic has not yellowed but i think it has been resprayed at some point maby in a color that stayed more white than the nitro did.

Last edited:

Telekarster

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
Thanks. I am a little surpsised that the olympic has not yellowed but i think it has been resprayed at some point maby in a color that stayed more white than the nitro did.

Yeah that's what I was sort of wondering. As I understand it, those finishes back then were not very strong, kind of thin, so they often wore off pretty quickly and people would respray them, as you say. I'd have to guess this is what happened to it at some point, but when you get the neck and such off of em you'll know more I'm sure ;) Looking forward to the pics! Nice!

MattAndTheMachine

TDPRI Member
Awesome find, looking forward to more pics and the outcome of the restoration!

My second thought after looking at the first pics also was along the lines of "this is too white" ...
I am curious what you can find out about that finish.
I have a once arctic white poly finished Squier from the 90s that has almost turned cream colored ...

Telecasterplayer

Tele-Meister
I did not take the neck of but found this tag with 10 26 81 on it so I suppose that is the production date. That will make it one of the last of the big head Strats before the Dan Smith model was introduced.

Attachments

• DSCN0012 - Copy.JPG
    DSCN0012 - Copy.JPG
    145.9 KB · Views: 35