Stratocaster Blend Knob Wiring Help?

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by matty428, Sep 24, 2020.

1. matty428

matty428 TDPRI Member

Would you wonderful folks know where a wiring pleb could find a way to blend my pickups with both tone knobs? I don't typically mess with the tone knobs, so I'd like to convert the two knobs to two separate blend knobs. Any help and advice would be welcome!

2. JuneauMike

JuneauMike Poster Extraordinaire

3. matty428

matty428 TDPRI Member

4. dr. love

dr. love Tele-Meister

I think we need clarification. What exactly are you trying to accomplish with the blend knobs: Pickup selection instead of the 5 way switch, and if so what pup combos, or are you trying to do something else?

matty428 likes this.
  5. matty428

matty428 TDPRI Member

See, I was under the assumption that you could turn the tone knobs into a blend knob for different positions of the switch. Say, Position !(or 5, for the neck only pup) and the tone knob could blend in like say the bridge pup little by littl to color the sound.

6. SnidelyWhiplash

SnidelyWhiplash Friend of Leo's

The blend wiring on my S style is master tone & the other is the blend.

matty428 likes this.
  7. matty428

matty428 TDPRI Member

Didi you have to add a different blend specific pot to the set up? Or did you just use the original tone knob?

8. JuneauMike

I don't have a blender circuit, but that's the one that I think I've settled on for a Strat build I'm doing right now. So I've been reading a bit about this stuff, but far from what I'd consider "informed" on the topic. A regular potentiometer is, as you know, a variable resistance mechanism. When it's set on "1" it is giving the maximum resistance that it's capable of giving, when it's set on "10" its giving the minimum resistance (note, minimum is not the same as no resistance). So a no load pot just puts a notch at the end of the wiper contact point so that settings 1-9 offers some level of resistance, but at 10, the pot becomes bypassed in the circuit and is offering no resistance at all, thus "no load." When you measure one with a VM you notice you get a max resistance measurement at one end, then the number continues to drop and drop and drop until you reach the notch when you get "UL" or infinite.

A blender circuit starts with the proposition that you want Pickup A to send a signal to an amp, but you'd like the option of sprinkling a bit of Pickup B to flavor that signal. Right away you need the ability to turn Pickup B off and on. That's what the no load pot allows you to do.

So I assume in this case when you bypass the blender pot completely you are using only the selected pickup, Pickup A. When you want to add another pickup to the sound, you do so gradually by turning the blender knob until the signal from that pickup is to your taste, like a dimmer switch. If you only want the bridge pickup, say, then you'd turn the influence of the blender pot off by bypassing the contribution of Pickup B completely. That's sorta my understanding of it all, and believe me, I don't understand it.

https://www.premierguitar.com/articles/the-seven-sound-stratocaster-1
    https://www.premierguitar.com/articles/28921-mod-garage-the-blender-7-sound-stratocaster

Last edited: Sep 25, 2020
    matty428 likes this.
  9. matty428

matty428 TDPRI Member

The second link is perfect sir! As soon as my new bridge shows up this is mod is happening!!! Thank you so much!

JuneauMike likes this.
  10. SnidelyWhiplash

SnidelyWhiplash Friend of Leo's

I had it installed when I ordered the guitar. I believe that it requires a different type of pot. A regular tone pot won't work, if I remember correctly.

matty428 likes this.
  11. JuneauMike

Boy, this is so simple that even I understand it.

matty428 likes this.
  12. matty428

matty428 TDPRI Member

This is amazing!! I was imagining needing a degree in electronics engineering do to handle this!!! Again, Thank You!

JuneauMike likes this.
  13. Platefire

Platefire Friend of Leo's

I plan to do this mod to one of my strats. Too good to pass up. ToneShaper makes a mod kit that includes everything for a complete re-wire that I think I'm going to get. Except I don't like treble bleed circuits which is included. So I'll just not use that. If ya'll want to check out the kit, I will attempt to attach a link. Platefire

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00ZO7ANJM/?tag=tdpri-20

Last edited: Oct 1, 2020
    matty428 likes this.
  14. JRapp

JRapp Tele-Meister

Sweetwater has no-load 250K blender pots for 6 bucks.

matty428 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.