Strat with a Tele Bridge pup

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Matt Sarad, Oct 19, 2019.

1. Matt Sarad

Matt Sarad Tele-Meister

http://lblutherie.blogspot.com/2012/09/sonic-blue-honeycaster.html

I used it last night with a country band I put together to highlight my neighbor, Katy Trail. She has a great voice, stage presence, and no fear. I played it through a Victoria Tweed Deluxe. I stayed on the bridge pickup for most of the night. The Mahogany body gives the Tele pickup a deeper, darker sonority. It has Onamac pickups. I prefer the twanginess of my 2018 MIM Tele with Harmonic Design pickups, but prefer the jumbo EVO frets on the Strat.

2. Seasicksailor

Seasicksailor Friend of Leo's

Weird you don't see such a thing more often. Interesting! I wonder what it'd look like with a full ashtray bridge and cover.

Matt Sarad likes this.
  3. Seasicksailor

Seasicksailor Friend of Leo's

Oh and Obamacare pickups? Was that a typo? I don't seem to find any info on them.

Matt Sarad and nojazzhere like this.
  4. FenderLover

FenderLover Friend of Leo's

That bound neck is also pretty classy.

5. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I set up a Strat like that a couple of years ago and liked it better than stock, but ended up changing the guitar a few more times as it held no advantage over a Tele.
    In an MIM it only requires a small amount of wood removed from the HB size bridge pup rout.
    I routed a stock Strat guard for the bigger pickup and only had the edges of the two screw holes giving away that it was a modded guard. Easy swap and also a fairly easy way to get a fatter bridge sound from a Strat.

surf_jimi and Matt Sarad like this.
  6. telemnemonics

Oh sorry I didn't look at the pics before posting.

Pretty guitar!

I never make 'em that pretty, but can appreciate the value of a nice looking guitar.
    I don't personally feel that a whole Tele bridge in the middle of a Strat guard is a very functional design, but again, it does look cool.

One of My Strats has a three saddle bridge for the saddle feel and function of a Tele, plus for the narrower spacing that keeps the strings a little further in from the edge of the board than on a traditional/ vintage style US Strat bridge.
    MIM Strat bridge is narrower.

Part of my thinking is how easy it is to mod and work on, which is part of my ever changing guitar "method".

I actually have a Strat with a 1 11/16 nut jumbo fret Warmoth neck, the one that had the Tele bridge pup and more recently got the trem rout filled with a snug fitting maple trem block to become a hardtail.
    That now has a mini hum next to a Strat pickup that's a little further from the bridge and not slanted, which does a fine job of fattening up the Strat bridge tone, easily as good as a Tele bridge pup in the traditional slant location.

Just commenting on the various roads to the general goal of this very nicely done Tele bridge Strat conversion.

Matt Sarad likes this.
  7. Matt Sarad

Matt Sarad Tele-Meister

The Obamacare pickup was a very interesting auto correct. I thought I caught it pretty quickly.

telemnemonics and Seasicksailor like this.
  8. telemnemonics

Interesting combined with calling the pickup a pup too.
    I've long called them pups in print but quite a few here are upset by that sort of language!
    I wonder what an Obamacare pup would be?
    One of those therapy animals paid for by insurance?
    How 'bout an Obamacare peacock?
    I get my therapy form a nice fuzzy Tele/ Esquire/ Strat (through a muff or a tone bender), maybe I could get an Obamacareocaster!

mkdaws32 and Matt Sarad like this.
  9. SPUDCASTER

SPUDCASTER Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Not with a bridgeplate. But, Lowell George was doing the Tele bridge pickup back in the 70's.

With the bridgeplate on the Strat. Do you find it's an unmistakable Tele tone?

I never thought "wow, Lowell's playing a Tele".

Tonetele, rand z and BCblues55 like this.
  10. omahaaudio

omahaaudio Friend of Leo's

That looks like a boatload of fun.

Matt Sarad likes this.
  11. Zepfan

Zepfan Poster Extraordinaire

Just modded this one a while back. Cavalier Fat Lion(without the metal ashtray surround). DeArmond style Gold Foil middle and minibucker converted Firebird for the neck. DSCF0859.JPG

awasson, richiek65, JeffBlue and 7 others like this.
  12. codamedia

codamedia Friend of Leo's

Strats are Strats, Tele's are Tele's.

This may appear like a perfect solution to a "often viewed as" useless, anemic, ice pick bridge pickup on a Strat..... but the compromise is a very different tone in position 2 (bridge/middle... aka quack). For some people the trade off simply doesn't matter... that's perfectly fine. But for me... after years of trying to get the most out of one guitar, I've decided it is best to let each guitar do it's strengths to perfection... without compromise.

Seasicksailor likes this.
  13. Zepfan

For a S/S/S Strat, I move the 2nd tone pot off the middle pickup on to the bridge pickup. Takes away the bridge ice pick, makes the middle alone livelier and makes the neck/middle #4 position quack just as good as position #2.

awasson, drlucky, Matt Sarad and 3 others like this.
  14. SixStringSlinger

SixStringSlinger Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I have a Fat Lion in my Esquire. Ain't it great?

Matt Sarad and Zepfan like this.
  15. Zepfan

Wonderful. I have another Fat Lion and a P90 that I'm wanting to put in a Pine Tele next, but it'll be next summer.
    Although I'm thinking about a Mosrite style kit for sale on Amazon made by Fret Wire for around $180. Comes with a neck minibucker and reverse slant single in the bridge.

Matt Sarad likes this.
  16. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

You can have whatever suits you. I think @SPUDCASTER said it correctly I liked Lowell George's style without the whole Telecaster bridge/ bridgeplate - a good concept.Bridge pickups in a stratocaster are a little ice picky at times whereas the Telecaster seems more full in sound.
    If you want all that at the rear, fine. It's your guitar and you can have what pleases you.

Matt Sarad and Zepfan like this.
  17. joeford

joeford Friend of Leo's

in my experience, the bridge plate IS the tele tone... especially the thin vintage style plates. it's the interaction and subtle microphonics between the bridge and the pickup that give you the cool overtones i associate with a tele. anytime I've messed with that recipe... half bridges, body mounted pickups, etc... it's been a step away from that sound. i bet this strat nails it!

Matt Sarad likes this.
  18. lineboat

lineboat Friend of Leo's

That’s sweet! Where did you get the headstock decal?

19. allesz

allesz Tele-Meister

Very nice with the matching headstock.
    Do you feel the use of a true tele bridge improves the tellines of the sound?
    Was it an hardtail body, a custom, or a standard one?

20. lost sailor

lost sailor TDPRI Member

A small piece of wire soldered on the switch will give you tone control for both the middle and bridge pup no more 'ice pick'
    I like Zepfan's pick guard too.

DHart and Zepfan like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.