Strat Wiring Question: Dan Armstrong blender plus switchable neck pickup?

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by trouserpress, Sep 27, 2020.

1. trouserpress

trouserpress Tele-Holic

On a strat I'm wondering if there are any reasons to not do the Armstrong blending the usual way (bridge-neck) but between bridge pickup and middle pickup. That would theoretically give me the option of adding an on-off-switch to the neck pickup.

In other words, can I combine Dan Armstrong's wiring with the "seven-way-Strat"?

Please tell me what you think.

2. sjtalon

sjtalon Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Granted bridge with middle blending would give SOME tonal options, but I wouldn't think too earth-shattering vs. what a reg. 5 w does.

If a person likes to play with blending, you could wire a switch (p/p or mini toggle) so you could pick either neck or middle to blend.

Regardless, there isn't any reason you couldn't do what you say, that is have a neck on switch.

trouserpress likes this.
  3. trouserpress

trouserpress Tele-Holic

Yes, thanks, I get your point but the Dan Armstrong blending does more than volume-blending. It lets you shift into serial wiring. The neck pickup on-off switch would be something quite different.

I'm certain that without changing the Dan Armstrong design from bridge-neck-blending to bridge-middle-blending these two wirings would collide. Maybe @jvin248 could shed a little light on that specific matter?

4. sjtalon

>shift into serial wiring< ahh I see, I was just thinking blending is blending :rolleyes:. Ops, spaced that DA deal off.

Well sure can't hurt anything.

So naturally, as long as your neck on switch is off, no effect there.

Now when you are blending, and flip the neck on, that would get interesting, in what way I don't know :confused:

So if that happened to be a train wreck, and not a useful option, who cares, don't go there.

You'll have series as an option ala DA, bridge-middle, and a bridge neck parallel option (neck on switch ala Gilmour) as well, so lots of colors to work with there.................cool beans.

Now with the 5 way flipping around, pickups coming together in one way or another (blend pot effect), that all gets squirrely there anyway.

So even that can not be a perfect world. But knowing what boundaries there are, one uses it, where it works, or in the way, it was designed to function. There is no such thing as a do all, or won't mess other things up at times scheme when one gets creative.

If one wants no harm no foul (minimal interaction where you don't want it), you would have to wire in more on/off switches to take things out of the program if their interaction at times goes south.

U be flipping switches like flying the space shuttle with no time to play it :lol:.

So I would say go for it !

.02 and such as.

Happy pickin' !

Last edited: Sep 27, 2020
    trouserpress likes this.
  5. sjtalon

this is good info:

6. sjtalon

trouserpress likes this.
  7. warrent

warrent Friend of Leo's

I would just use the dan armstrong mod as is with the switch that way when the pot is at ten you have the seven way mod and then with switch out you have the blend options.

trouserpress likes this.
  8. trouserpress

trouserpress Tele-Holic

My very thoughts!

Good advice - I'll try this.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2020
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.