1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Strat wiring problem/question

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Voicing 13, May 27, 2019.

1. Voicing 13

Voicing 13 Tele-Meister

Good evening all,

I am doing some wiring for a friend. Took the pickups from MIM and added to the guts of a Squier.

Right now, it doesn't matter what I do. The neck pickup is always softer sounding than the middle. The bridge is a humbucker and therefore a moot point.

I am using a Fender wiring diagram
    I have soldered and re-soldered the pickup several times to make sure it wasn't the soldering joint. The last time I really took off all the solder I could.
    It currently doesn't have string and I am testing the pickup my touching it gently with pliers.
    All the position work well, except the ones with the neck. It always sound softer in comparison.

Soldering is not my strong suit but I have always made my guitars work fine.

Last edited: May 28, 2019
  2. DougM

DougM Poster Extraordinaire

It sounds like the pickup may be the problem.

3. Voicing 13

Voicing 13 Tele-Meister

That is what I am starting to think. The only issue I could think of is the soldering joint but usually, it either works or doesn't. I haven't had one that works partially before. Could that be a possibility?

4. DougM

DougM Poster Extraordinaire

Tapping the pickup poles is not a good indicator of actual output. I've had the neck pickup sound quieter that way and then be fine when strung. You need to hear it with strings to know for sure. The tap test is only to ensure the solder joints and switch are working properly.

awasson and Greg_L like this.
  5. Greg_L

Greg_L Tele-Holic

Yes! This ^^^^

Put strings on it and play it.

DougM likes this.
  6. BCblues55

BCblues55 Tele-Meister Gold Supporter

And maybe your pickup height can be adjusted (once you put on strings) to balance the output.

DougM likes this.
  7. Voicing 13

Voicing 13 Tele-Meister

Brought the guitar to my friend yesterday. It's exactly like you suggested:not a good indicator. When strung up there are no volume issues.

Thanks everyone,

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.