Strat vs. Taylor

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by WrayGun, Sep 10, 2021.

1. Festofish

Festofish Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I’m an electric guy so as long as I have my trusty Tacoma…I’m good.

2. Happy Enchilada

Happy Enchilada Tele-Holic

How about a classy acoustic that's set up with a good electric pickup? You can play it unamplified, or plug it in and gig with it.

Taylors are overpriced dentists' guitars of choice with bolt-on necks.

Strats are OK, but most players prefer something less ... shrill. Like a Tele or an LP Special. And you said you're a "home player," so I'd recommend a Tele any day.

Here's something to consider:

[​IMG]

US-made Guild D55.
    Lively, resonant, light, yet rugged.
    Joy to play.
    Ask any songwriter in Nashville.
    Available in natural or sunburst.
    Can be had with tasteful electronics from factory.
    Retails for less than the Taylor and you can pass it down to your grandkids.

Then go get yourself a G&L Legacy Tribute to satisfy your Strat fetish at half the price and a better guitar.

Or not.

3. GGardner

GGardner Friend of Leo's

What price range are you in? I could sell you my 410 Koa.

4. pi

pi Tele-Meister

Do you have an amp? That's the first consideration. A Strat would be useless without one.

5. WrayGun

WrayGun Friend of Leo's

I already have an sitka top/ovangkol back & sides 410; someone is offering to trade me the Strat plus $100 bucks for it.

GGardner likes this.
  6. WrayGun

WrayGun Friend of Leo's

Yes I do :)

7. WrayGun

WrayGun Friend of Leo's

Well, “The Dude” traded his Strat to someone else, so this particular dilemma is moot. Until next time… thanks all.

8. ItsKevinx3

ItsKevinx3 NEW MEMBER!

Why not have both? And get yourself a nice fender acoustasonic? ,Ive tried some in the guitarstore ans they blew my mind, even fooled around with playing metal with some gain and this thing did just about everything great

9. Linkslover

Linkslover Tele-Meister

Since I have a nice Standard American Strat and a Taylor 314, let me tell you my playing experience.

90+ percent of the time when I pick up a guitar to play around the house, it's the unplugged Taylor. It's just more convenient. I also find that as a solo instrument acoustics are more musical. Granted there a some songs (lots of Barre chords) that aren't as much fun on the Taylor, but that's not a deal breaker to play it because the action is so good.

In the other hand, when I go out to jam, it's the reverse. Almost 100 percent the Strat. When I'm playing in a band it's a superior lead instrument, has great tone when plugged into a Fender DRRI or PRRI and, of course, it's really fun to play.

So, I'd day it depends on the music you like to play and where and with whom you play most of it.

The good news is there is no wrong answer here, only one that may be a bit not right.

10. tblaster57

tblaster57 TDPRI Member

I'd get the Strat.

11. BlueGillGreg

BlueGillGreg Tele-Meister

I'd be thinking about the home situation. I used to play my electric unplugged after late shifts and it didn't wake anyone. Yes, a Strat is louder but it's also quieter.

I'd be thinking about the age and durability of the guitar, especially an older acoustic.

I'd be thinking about less expensive reasonable equivalents of each that play and sound excellent and will be available after some time goes by and it becomes possible to have two guitars.

In my experience, no used acoustic has matched the Martin I bought 21 years ago, brand-new, for uninterrupted solid reliability. On the other hand, I've played several used electrics for 10 to 15 years, and they have been as reliable as electrics I bought brand-new.

12. goodguy

goodguy Tele-Meister

If you're intrigued by gear/tone-chasing/pedals/amps/technology/recording/metal/hard rock ... then maybe get the electric.
    If you're into songwriting, simplicity, nuance, get the Taylor... Acoustics are a guitar and amp all wrapped up in one portable package - pick up & play.
    As much as I love my expensive electrics, they sometimes are more of a gear pursuit than playing pursuit (better pedals, better amps, better modelers, etc). But I love em.
    Acoustics sorta remove me from gear chasing and get me back to "music".
    Acoustics have natural overtones and intonation that goes beyond just the specs - that is why they sound so pleasing to the ear.
    You will find most pros, pickup an acoustic first for songwriting/working out ideas, etc.
    I recently bought a Taylor midrange acoustic 214CE-K Dlx and Yamaha THR5A (acoustic amp) and it's simpler and more inspirational to play for me right now than my custom shop guitars and tube amps.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2021
  13. zeke54

zeke54 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Wow Jake , I'm just the opposite ! Different strokes ... :)

Jakedog likes this.
  14. zeke54

zeke54 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I would definitely get the Strat , but that's me ,,, do you already have an electric ? Maybe you need a good acoustic .

15. Dik Ellis

Dik Ellis Tele-Meister

We can't make up your mind for you. Which guitar will bring out your creative side?

16. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I'd consider picking both. Life is short. You're old (I'm older) so life is even shorter. Hurry up!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.