Strat vs. Taylor

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by WrayGun, Sep 10, 2021.

1. BramptonRob1958

BramptonRob1958 Tele-Meister

I'm 63, I have 3 acoustics, 2 of which sit in their cases. (Ovations from the 70's) I rarely play them as they are project guitars at best.

My living room guitar is a Carbon Fiber RainSong Parlour 6 string.... it does have a pickup. Upstairs in my music room I have 2 Strats, 2 Tele's, an Esquire and my Gold Top R7.

Here's the thing time is of the essence. After work and caring for my 2 dogs.....as well as gardening, laundry and all other household chores, Most days its a struggle to squeeze in lap time for any guitar.

I love my solid bodies and will play them unplugged, however, to get the best experience they really need to be amped and that includes my pedal board....it takes serious setup to play plugged in as like you I am the definitive "Home Player".

My electrics range from assembled by me to Custom Shop Les Paul's and Tele's.

Here's the deal most days if I want to just play when the mood hits me, I grab the RainSong.... It's there, it's convenient and while I can amp it up, I don't have to. I can just play it for 10 minutes, it stays in tune better than any guitar I've ever owned. My CS guitars are pretty good at staying tune, but the RainSong is in a league of its own.

All of my guitars inspire me but the acoustic is always handy. Sometimes ease of access trumps inspiration.

If I were you, my questions would be if both were on stands in your living room which would you reach for first?

It's as simple as that.....

Toadtele and bromdenlong like this.
  2. Flip G

Flip G Tele-Meister

To be honest, I pick up my Taylor Big Baby more often than any other guitar. It's my learning guitar. I download tabs and run through them, note by note, while squinting at the computer screen through my bifocals. I don't want the added effort of plugging in and dialing in a tone.

I also believe in Flow Psychology. Learning a new song, slightly above the technical skills of the last song you've learned, is better for your soul than playing "Back in Black" for the fiftieth time, and capturing exactly the sound Angus did.

3. DougM

DougM Poster Extraordinaire

I don't sing, and I don't gig. I only play at home, and my biggest enjoyment is soloing over backing tracks, so that's a no brainer to me. Besides that, when given the binary choice between a Strat and ANY other guitar, electric or acoustic, the answer is always STRAT!

Timbresmith1 likes this.
  4. timbgtr

timbgtr Tele-Meister

Seriously, I have a bunch of great acoustics and my GS Mini gets played more than any of them. For the $$ you’re talking about, you could get these two guitars and have enough left over for a Katana 50. Then, down the road, see which one you play the most, upgrade that, and keep the other.

Ed Driscoll likes this.
  5. tfarny

tfarny Poster Extraordinaire

Me? I'd be thinking about which one I would play more often, of course. It wouldn't be a Taylor (don't like their basic sound, it seems nasal and shrill to me when I'm playing them) and it wouldn't be a strat (I'm not a strat guy), but in general that would be my consideration. Is it different from what I've already got and / or am I likely to actually play it a bunch?

6. hotraman

hotraman Tele-Afflicted

What songs do you like to play?

In my case, I play / teach / gig songs where I have to play an acoustic or an electric.

I vote ... buy both.
    FYI
    My main electrics: Gretsch Black Falcon and an Jazzmaster.
    My only two acoustics: mid 70's Gibson J45 and a
    BC Rich B28 dreadnought.

One of my influences is Stephen Stills.

7. Rockinvet

Rockinvet Tele-Afflicted

If you can only have one, I recommend the acoustic. Why? I’ve been asked similar questions throughout the years as a guitar instructor and from experience it’s always a good choice to have an acoustic. You can always get an electric later should you choose to do so but playing an acoustic will enhance your technique better than if you just have an electric. Taylors also have good playing necks and transitioning to an electric would not be that difficult if you change your mind. Conversely, if you are playing just electric and want to revert to acoustic it may be a greater adjustment. Also, you don’t need an amp.
    That is a perfectly good question to ask.

8. Old Deaf Roadie

Old Deaf Roadie Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I guess it would depend on whether the Taylor has an upgraded trem or the cheesy OEM model.
    I'll show myself out...

Kweber, timbgtr and bromdenlong like this.
  9. USian Pie

USian Pie Tele-Holic

I spent many years as an almost exclusive acoustic player.

Unless I was so in love with acoustic that I wanted to commit to it, I would go with the Strat.

At least for me, anything I can do on an acoustic, I can do on a Strat. The only exception is the whole body-tapping percussion-on-an-acoustic thing. And I suck at that.

A Strat gives me more different sounds, effects, and more options for amplification and recording.

If I want the Strat to feel more like an acoustic, I can always string it with 11s or 12s. Heavier strings turn it into almost a different guitar.

Timbresmith1 likes this.
  10. Timbresmith1

Timbresmith1 Tele-Holic

You’ve got to know yourself.

A) Which one inspires you to play?

B) Kids? Dogs? Cat(s)? Drunk buddies that like to give each other noogies? Jealous wife/ girlfriend?(both?)

C) Where? Where do you picture yourself playing? I ask because acoustics require some climate control. If you live in Alaska and plan on leaving the guitar on a stand near a crackling woodstove, get the electric...

11. Cloodie

Cloodie Tele-Meister

Whichever one you get you're gonna GAS for the other one as well within a few months.

Happy Enchilada and WrayGun like this.
  12. naveed211

naveed211 Friend of Leo's

I’m pretty much the exact opposite. There have been years where I haven’t owned an acoustic at all.

Years ago I recall seeing videos of Jeff Buckley live at sin-E where it was just him and a Tele into an amp. Saw Daniel Lanois do something similar. That really resonated with me.

Jakedog likes this.
  13. beninma

beninma Friend of Leo's

I’m mostly stuck on electric and I own a lower end Taylor.

Given I’m happy with my electrics I’d take a 4xx Taylor for Strat money. New 400 series Taylor guitars are a good bit more expensive than most Strats.

I don’t play my acoustic as much but if I lucked into a really nice acoustic it might change things.

Jakedog likes this.
  14. Jakedog

Jakedog Telefied Ad Free Member

I get that. I just generally don’t like electric guitars. I play them all the time. And I’m pretty good at it. It’s my job. But I never wanted one. It’s just a necessary part of my employment to own, play, and be proficient with it. Don’t get me wrong, I do have a lot of fun with them. But I don’t need one to be happy.

I came up watching my dad play in the 70’s and 80’s. He was never in a band. I always found it incredibly impressive that he could hold an entire room for hours with nothing but his guitar, voice, and personality. No electric guitars, no drums, no light show, and everyone shut up and listened while he was doing it. It’s the first time I remember thinking “that’s what I want to be when I grow up.” I still think it’s the coolest way to perform. It’s definitely my favorite.

black_doug and naveed211 like this.
  15. Happy Enchilada

Happy Enchilada Tele-Holic

I just ordered a switchplate for my Special that has "Maryann" and "Ginger" on it. Will probably raise some eyebrows at church, but God would get it.

green_henry likes this.
  16. Tommy Biggs

Tommy Biggs Friend of Leo's

you've got 2 Strats, you should buy the Taylor.
    I'm hoping that your Strats are great.

I'm in a similar position in that my electric setup is downstairs, so I grab the house acoustic and play it a lot. BUT in my music space its not hard at all to just plug in and play. Grab a guitar, flip a couple of switches and off I go. I've got a bunch of amps that sound great plugging straight in, and lots of options if I've got time and want something 'more'.

Maybe it's just a bit of inertia that's stopping you from plugging in?

17. El Marin

El Marin Friend of Leo's

A Taylor is a good guitar

Strats are not

Done

davegodby likes this.
  18. Zoso420

Zoso420 Tele-Meister

Never have ever been a fan of taylors. I think they have too much high end. I would check out a larivee if I were you.

19. arlum

arlum Tele-Holic Platinum Supporter

If it's for home use or song writing or playing with friends using similar acoustic instruments I'd choose the Taylor 410.

20. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Well, it's an odd choice. But as a home player, I think there is a lot to recommend an acoustic... you can go out on the deck on a nice day or whatever. The tone of an acoustic is hard to beat, but it is not the same as an electric, almost like a different instrument really, so just get what you want...

Not huge into Taylors, but the 4 series and Baby Taylor are actually my favorites...

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.