Strat vs. Taylor

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by WrayGun, Sep 10, 2021.

1. WrayGun

WrayGun Friend of Leo's

Okay, I’ll get some crap for this post, but …

Imagine: a Taylor 410 acoustic (no electronics or cutaway), versus an American Standard Strat, with a few upgrades. Used resale prices are similar.

I can have one or the other, not both. Both are really nice. Really, really nice.

I’m strictly a home player these days. I’m not young. I have to decide which one to go with.

I’m not asking which one you would pick … rather, what kinds of things would you take into consideration when making a choice like this?

Tele-Meister, Buzzgrowl and Chiogtr4x like this.
  2. lil scotty

lil scotty Tele-Holic

Biggest question is whether you enjoy playing electric or acoustic more? Second, do you have an amp? Third, what are you currently looking to do, sing and strum or pick; or solo/scales?

3. Buzzgrowl

Buzzgrowl Tele-Meister

Are you going to gig?

Happy Enchilada and WrayGun like this.
  4. Freeman Keller

Freeman Keller Poster Extraordinaire

The first thing I would consider is what kind of music I wanted to play. Yes, you can play Dust in the Wind on a strat and yes you can shred a 410 but..... Do I want to play solo fingerstyle, strum along with my singing or solo over someone playing rhythm?

Next I would consider what kind of venue I was playing in. Do I have the amp needed for the strat? Do I play sitting down? Will I ever play an open mic or on stage with some friends.

I would ask if I wanted to play alternate tunings or maybe slide. (I do both) I would think about where I wanted my music to go - what would I be doing a year from now or ten.

You said not to tell you which one I would pick, but I will. I'm an acoustic player first and foremost, I can't imagine being without an acoustic guitar. And while a 410 is a very nice guitar it might not be my choice either...

Good luck with your choice.

5. WrayGun

WrayGun Friend of Leo's

Highly unlikely :)

6. nvilletele

nvilletele Friend of Leo's

Apple or Oranges? Which do you crave?

Both fruit. Very different taste and texture.

I think the prior posters have well covered that it comes down to your personal preferences/needs and playing style.

Both the Strat and Taylor are excellent choices.

But keeping in mind all the above advice, if you are playing mostly just by yourself, or with one other person, maybe lean to the acoustic, as it may prove more versatile and useful in more situations.

If you are playing with a variety of people, including others who are also amplified, then maybe lean to the Strat.

Just some thoughts that came to mind.

FYI, I have a Taylor 422R at present, though am thinking of maybe letting it go, as I already have 4 boutique acoustics, a classical, my son's (and my former) Ovation Balladeer, 3 Teles, one Strat and one Tokai Les Paul. So maybe I'd also suggest you'd still consider getting both the 410 and the Strat.

7. Wallaby

Wallaby Friend of Leo's

Ease-of-use is something to consider - what's comfortable and no-muss, no-fuss, easy to pick up and put down without any preparation.

Also which one is the most engaging to you - where you grab it and look at a clock and see hours have passed.

Good luck, this seems like a tough decision, and the choices lead in different directions I think!

WrayGun and Chester P Squier like this.
  8. Chester P Squier

Chester P Squier Tele-Afflicted

Do you already have a guitar? If it’s electric, then get the Taylor. If acoustic, then the Strat.

If you don’t already have a guitar, then get the Taylor. Unless you have an amp. Then the Strat.

9. Jakedog

Jakedog Telefied Ad Free Member

If I didn’t gig for a living, and only played at home as a hobby, it’s highly doubtful I would own an electric guitar at all.

stnmtthw, WrayGun and Greggorios like this.
  10. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Friend of Leo's

Check to see which one has a whammy bar. Whichever one that happens to be, get that one.

11. Ed Driscoll

Ed Driscoll Tele-Afflicted

As others have said, what do you want to play? If you're "strictly a home player these days," do you want to play power chords and guitar solos? Or do you want to strum and play delicate finger-picking patterns? But otherwise, they're both great guitars.

Since this thread needs gratuitous illustrations, here's my Squier '60s Classic Vibe Strat and Taylor GS Mini:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 10, 2021
  12. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Doctor of Teleocity

You have to answer the question,
    " What kind of music do you really want to play?"

I learned how to play guitar on an acoustic in the '70's , always wanted to play both electric and acoustic, and did just that.
    and now gig 50/50 on both

So I'd want one of each, and cheaper than either of your choices so I could have both...(Rather than just have one, that may cost more, and yes, be better than my picks)

I own a budget Martin D and budget Strat, both from the '90's and they are my best friends

13. GGardner

GGardner Friend of Leo's

Funny, 'cause I have a Taylor 410 (w/ Koa) and an American Standard Strat. The Taylor has a great neck. If the neck speaks to you, I'd get it. American Standards are great but easier to find. Not for nothing, but based on my cursory Reverb search, my Taylor would have a higher resale price.

fullsizeoutput_12c.jpeg

Last edited: Sep 11, 2021
    bromdenlong and WrayGun like this.
  14. ChicknPickn

ChicknPickn Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I'm gonna get all squishy and metaphysical here . . . . try visualization. See yourself, hear yourself with each instrument. When you think about a really satisfying day of playing, when you're really enjoying yourself, is it more electric, or is it acoustic?

What would make it difficult for me is that I go through phases. I once put down my electrics for a couple of years after finding an acoustic that spoke to me. Now, it's back to the Strat and Teles and more work on pentatonics. May The Force be with you.

Toadtele, LeftyBlues and WrayGun like this.
  15. LOSTVENTURE

LOSTVENTURE Friend of Leo's

If I might get a little off subject here, and since Taylor has been brought up. If you are going to need amplification down the road, you might check out the T5z line. Those play/feel more like an electric, but if you have an acoustic amplifier, or any amp for that matter, the T5z can deliver some great tones. I play both electric (primarily Strats) and the T5 with my church's praise team and both are getting great compliments.

soundcloset, WrayGun and JL_LI like this.
  16. GGardner

GGardner Friend of Leo's

Man, that was kind of squishy.

17. JL_LI

JL_LI Poster Extraordinaire

A quick check shows Taylor 410’s and Am Std Strats selling close to the same price but there is something to consider. The Taylors are Y2K plus or minus a few years. The Strats are mostly 2010 and newer. The Taylor may need much more work to get in good shape, especially considering that most electric guitar owners have a collection and most acoustic owners have one or two.

The next thing I’d think about is if you need a Taylor. My acoustic is a Simon and Patrick. It cost well under a thousand used and is as good or better than most acoustics I’ve seen at twice the price. Consider a Godin brand acoustic and save for a Strat. Also, there’s nothing about an Am Std Strat that calls out for an upgrade. Some owners think an upgrade makes for a better guitar but in my experience, upgrades may make a guitar more to the owner’s liking but not necessarily better.

black_doug and WrayGun like this.
  18. green_henry

green_henry Tele-Meister Gold Supporter

This is like asking Ginger or Mary Ann, Daphne or Velma, Wilma or Betty ... the obvious answer is: both! Seriously, seems like it would be easy to flip one if you lose interest in it.

Happy Enchilada, blogan and WrayGun like this.
  19. 985plowboy

985plowboy Friend of Leo's

I’m far and away an acoustic player, so I’d be interested in the Taylor. I owned a 310 for a few years and it was a wonderfully resonant guitar. I sold it to fund something else years ago.

I don’t reckon you’d hold our for a good deal on a reimagined Martin D-18?
    That’s what I’d do.

WrayGun likes this.
  20. ChicknPickn

ChicknPickn Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I know, but we're supposed to be artistic and sensitive. :)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.