1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Strat v. Tele

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by ulixxe, Mar 4, 2021.

1. alex1fly

alex1fly Tele-Meister

+1

As a beginner you want as few hurdles as possible. The Strat tremolo system introduces headaches, and you don't really need it. I love my tremolo, but it is fussy. You have enough to worry about with strings, pickups, cord, amp, fingers.

There's a good reason many beginners start on an acoustic guitar. There's nothing but you and the strings.

Do not build your own guitar as your first guitar. I repeat, do not do this. Learn on a well-made instrument that's been set up by a professional (and neither of these have to be expensive anymore) - and then build another one as a side project if you wish. Building guitars may seem glorious and sexy from internet forums and whatnot, but it's a completely different venture from learning to play the guitar as an instrument. Your choice obviously, but I challenge you to find an established guitar teacher anywhere on this planet that would recommend that path versus simply learning on a well set up instrument.

ndcaster likes this.
  2. alexwilds

alexwilds Tele-Meister

You write to a telecaster discussion forum on a telecaster website and ask telecaster players what is the best guitar? hmmm...

I bet most of them like telecasters.

StarRaider likes this.
  3. Maguchi

Maguchi Tele-Holic

Buy the best guitar you can afford. Spend some money and enjoy yourself. I love Teles, but a Strat is a great choice too. The Strat has less tuning stability, but if you don't use the trem, it stays in tune OK. There are companies that make kits for Les Paul style and ES 335 style guitars. These are a little harder to build because of the set neck, but also a viable option. Get what feels and sounds good in your hands and what will make you want to play the guitar.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2021
  4. Obelisk

Obelisk Tele-Afflicted

I have played Telecaster type guitars for most of my life, but I started out on a mid 60's Gibson SG & an early 80's MIJ Fender Strat. I'd say the Strat is a bit better for a beginner because they are a more forgiving guitar. It's harder to hide your mistakes on a Telecaster which is why I came to value them more than other guitars. There are also more Strats available in the wild, so there are better deals to be made for a beginning guitarist.

Probably your best is to take a friend who plays guitar to a store & play a few different guitars to see, feel & hear the differences. If you're new to guitar, buying one without playing it seems like a weird move. Covid has made going to guitar stores basically a thing of the past. Hopefully that will turnaround during the next few months. If you heart is set on a Telecaster, then go for it.

5. Gary in Boston

Gary in Boston Friend of Leo's

From a straight ahed what's simpler to work on................. Teles are flat with kinda square dimensions so, for instance you can put it down flat on a work bench and easily work on it. But from scratch i'd buy a kit or a squire, (maybe used) and take off from there.......... good luck and sorry if this post is redundant ~ Gary

6. Wrighty

Wrighty Friend of Leo's

Very true. All that matters is that the instrument is of sufficient quality to be stable, stay in tune and in working order.it must also, of course, be possible to set it up so as to be comfortable to play. To start with you’ll likely have aches and sore fingers but, if you get someone who’s been playing for a while to play it, he/she will be able to pick up on any problems like sharp frets or other neck issues.

Down the line you’ll start to form your own opinions about shapes and controls etc.

I’ e always been a Tele guy. Since lockdown I’ve been playing a lot more at home, sitting, and have been drawn more towards a Strat. It’s more comfortable..............just like the early players told Leo!

As a PS I’d add that I agree with a lot of people on this forum, and the ‘other channel’, that a Tele is less forgiving. I have no explanation but, make a mistake on a Tele and you hear all about it! Might give it the edge if you want to learn to play well!

7. Wrighty

Wrighty Friend of Leo's

Good solid advice there ! (English sarcasm coming through........sorry!)

8. Wrighty

Wrighty Friend of Leo's

See my post............I have found totally the opposite to be true! Wouldn’t life be boring if we all thought the same?

9. Wrighty

Wrighty Friend of Leo's

Hey man, no need to shout!

10. Wrighty

Wrighty Friend of Leo's

Get help............!

11. Wrighty

Wrighty Friend of Leo's

Gotta be a Tele for country....................says who?

Phrygian77 likes this.
  12. Wrighty

Wrighty Friend of Leo's

Reminds me of a joke..........guy at the Pearly Gates.............definitely a Strat.

13. Charlie Bernstein

Charlie Bernstein Poster Extraordinaire

Hey, who are you going to believe, them or us?!

14. Charlie Bernstein

15. Wrighty

Wrighty Friend of Leo's

Define ‘played’.........I make a noise on mine, not sure how far up the ‘playing’ spectrum I am!

Engine Swap likes this.
  16. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Friend of Leo's

Came back to say...

date vs marry

17. Charlie Bernstein

PS - The best guitar to learn on is an acoustic. Once you can play an acoustic, an electric is a cinch. If you start out on electric, you'll have a real hard time with an acoustic's heavier strings.

And since an electric is an ensemble instrument and an acoustic can be played solo, an acoustic is more versatile. If you add to that the ease of acoustics - no amp or electricity, just pull it out and play it - starting on electric makes very little sense.

18. Charlie Bernstein

xxxxx

Last edited: Mar 13, 2021
  19. Charlie Bernstein

PS - The best guitar to learn on is an acoustic. Once you can play an acoustic, an electric is a cinch. If you start out on electric, you'll have a real hard time with an acoustic's heavier strings.

And since an electric is an ensemble instrument and an acoustic can be played solo, an acoustic is more versatile. If you add to that the ease of acoustics - no amp or electricity, just pull it out and play it anywhere - starting on electric makes very little sense.

20. alexwilds

alexwilds Tele-Meister

Keith Richards said the same thing - the acoustic is the thing to master first and last. That said, give me the Tele!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.