1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Strat v. Tele

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by ulixxe, Mar 4, 2021.

1. gregulator450

gregulator450 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Welcome! I think Phil X gave the best "first guitar" advice when he said to buy the guitar you like to see. If you're a Slash fan, don't buy a strat- get a Les Paul-style guitar. If you like Stevie Ray Vaughan, get a strat-shaped guitar.

Pick the guitar that inspires you to want to pick it up when you see it on the stand in the corner of the room. This is the one (possibly the only) time you want to 'listen with your eyes' when you're guitar shopping. :D:D

Likewise, Phil also said to learn guitar by learning things that apply directly to the songs you want to learn. If you want to play Highway to Hell, the A chord should be the first chord you learn!

2. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity

I'm mostly a Strat player as my #1. BUT, It took me quite a while to get used to the middle pickup. It can interfere with picking until you are used to it and you also may want to have your pickup hand "floating" SRV style more than anchored with your hand heel on the bridge.
    So... I think a Tele may be easier for a person starting to learn.

Fendereedo likes this.
  3. nickmsmith

nickmsmith Tele-Meister

I remember first learning as a kid, I had no idea what the switches did, or how the sounds really differed between the pickups.

Bottom line is: it doesn't matter. You learn either way, and Strats/Teles play essentially the same way. Similar necks and the same scale.

KelvinS1965 likes this.
  4. Lef T

Lef T Tele-Holic

As a young teen I started out with a Kent electric.
    I was thrilled.
    I learned on it and gigged it till I could afford to upgrade.
    What's my point.
    I'm not sure.:)

Tommy Biggs and xtrajerry like this.
  5. Marc Morfei

Marc Morfei Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

It doesn't matter. Not one bit. Any good guitar is a good guitar to play.

6. breadfreak

breadfreak TDPRI Member

I disagree with you but I think you're right :oops:

JIMMY JAZZMAN and basher like this.
  7. Len058

Len058 Tele-Meister

The best guitar for beginners is the guitar said beginner wants to play. That's the best guitar to make you feel good when you play because you want it. Some people say you have to start acoustic, some would argue a Les Paul is fretting lighter because of the scale length. A Tele has a stable bridge but a Strat has a rounded body, which is nicer for your body. A Jazzmaster is better for playing, sitting down. A (semi) hollow body can be played without an amp.

Don't listen to people who say they know, listen to people that explain options or aren't sure what's the best. They are the ones who are honest. And listen to your heart (ooh cheesy)

8. LesTele

LesTele Tele-Meister

It is completely subjective like what everyone is saying. I’ve had all the guitar types and certainly have my preferences for different reasons and styles of music.

My two personal favorite guitar types are the Les Paul and Telecaster (refer to my username). For someone in your position, however, I’d actually recommend a Stratocaster without a doubt.

I have many reasons for this but it basically all boils down to maximum comfort (cutaways, body contours, guitar balance, etc), ease of mods, and i know this is really controversial but I would argue the strat is the most versatile style of guitar for many genres even non traditional types).

don’t get me wrong though, my desert island guitar is still my swamp ash body, maple neck, tele with four way switch and Glaser g bender...

LordBucketHead and Len058 like this.
  9. LesTele

LesTele Tele-Meister

I was always iffy on the strat middle pickup too until I installed custom shop ‘57/62s.... just saying

10. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity

I'm not iffy about the tone, but picking around it is iffy. I use hot Tex Mex, thus have it not too close to the strings.

11. LesTele

LesTele Tele-Meister

cool

12. arlum

arlum Tele-Holic Platinum Supporter

Modern versions of Strats and Teles sport necks that, other than the head stock and heel / neck pocket shape, share many of the same dimensions and can feel virtually the same if you so desire. That whole "Teles are a bear to play and Strats are much easier" goes back to the '50s when certain years of Tele production sported huge U shaped necks with a few large C shapes thrown in. Strats made during the same period had less heavy / more comfortable C, V, or Soft V necks.

I hands down prefer the Tele body shape for myself but would never disagree with those that claim the Strat body shape might just be the most comfortable electric guitar body shape ever designed. I just break it down into two playing positions. Standing or sitting. Most players stand. Weight, neck to body balance, smooth rounded edges, a comfort contour, etc. are highly important to them. The Strat just can't be beat for comfort while played standing. I, on the other hand, seldom play standing. I now prefer to sit down with a guitar across my leg with a smooth flat bottom that won't slide around or dig in to my leg. In a sitting position a Tele is about as stable of a guitar you can find.

13. Mur

Mur Tele-Afflicted

Tele and Strat are quite different in many ways . . feel, sound, looks, etc.

14. Gary in Boston

Gary in Boston Friend of Leo's

Yes you are correct the Tele is for BEGINNERS and INTERMEDIATES and PROFESSIONALS!

Greggorios and JIMMY JAZZMAN like this.
  15. Willie Johnson

Willie Johnson Tele-Holic

I started out on a Strat, but my tastes have changes--I reach for the Tele more often these days. Still like my Strats, though.

16. burtonfan

burtonfan Tele-Afflicted

Ok... so bear with me...

I have always thought of the Tele/Strat relationship as "older brother, younger sister". The Tele was born first, hence "older" and it appears to be masculine in comparison to the shapely and more feminine (yet not effeminate) looking Strat. All those beautiful curves on the second born of the two seem to say "female"! Brother/sister as their last name is "Fender".

Has anyone else looked at it like this? They are simply two different members of the same great family.

I own both. You can't go wrong with either one.

17. Flaneur

Flaneur Friend of Leo's

Tele for Blues, you say? :cool:

538625-85b55263e7846faf21a961987ef784eb.jpg

Greggorios, Gary135r and black_doug like this.
  18. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Poster Extraordinaire

It's the guitar that inspires you to play and keep on playing.

But, when it comes to the lowest end of the price spectrum, Teles and other hardtail guitars (Bullet Mustang for example) will generally work better for beginners than trem equipped guitars.

howardlo and Call Me Al like this.
  19. Texsunburst59

Texsunburst59 Friend of Leo's

My opinion whether you're a beginner or seasoned musician, is to get the best quality guitar you can afford.

If I were you OP, I'd hit as many music stores as you can visit with the largest variety of guitars, from affordable to the most expensive guitars you can get your hands on.

After you've played a lot of different model guitars from inexpensive to high end, then you should be able to make a decision as to what guitar feels and sounds the best to you.

20. Call Me Al

Call Me Al Tele-Meister

I just started myself, and went with the Tele. I love Fender basses, so I wanted something in the Fender family. Basically it came down to simplicity. In retrospect I probably like Strat tones on recordings a bit more; but with the right strings and some EQ and pickup adjusting, I’m happy as a clam. I got the Squier Bullet BTW, and floored at how great it plays.

If you haven’t seen this video check it out. It’s long, but discusses not only tones but some of the playing quirks of each. This helped sway my decision

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.