Strat tuning stability

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by thx712517, Nov 16, 2019.

1. thx712517

thx712517 Tele-Meister

I've been looking at Stratocasters recently and trying them out to see what I like. I've noticed more than once they've had some trouble coming back to tune after a wiggle of the vibrato. Not Hendrix level abuse, just a wiggle to emulate a Bigsby if you're familiar with that type of vibrato.

I'm assuming binding at the nut is a possibility, as well as old strings, and the springs in these really don't fight back much at all. But I'd heard recently that it could be the wraps of string around the post coming loose and then tightening again, and thus locking tuners would be a good idea.

I've never heard that one before. I used to have an American Special way back when, and with that I popped all five springs on, decked the trem, and pencilled the nut slots and didn't have much of an issue. Do locking tuners really make a difference in tuning stability?

rangercaster likes this.
  2. rangercaster

rangercaster Poster Extraordinaire

The Nut is primarily a cause ... Then look at the bridge and trem ...

Last edited: Nov 16, 2019
  3. beagle

beagle Friend of Leo's

Not at all.

awasson and AlbertaGriff like this.
  4. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

My EJ Strat, strung with GHS EJ 11s stays in tune remarkably well with moderate wiggle-stick use.
    It’s a very well thought-out guitar.
    I think the lack of string trees, and the moderately heavy strings are why it stay in tune so well.

awasson likes this.
  5. Tommy Biggs

Tommy Biggs Friend of Leo's

Mine stays well.
    I definitely stretch strings regularly. I use a subtle trem band, and I tend to bring the trem back to pitch (an old habit).

8trackmind likes this.
  6. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

I've got three of them - a US, a MIM, and a partscaster I put together. None of them have ever had tuning stability issues. I was concerned about Strat trem stability before I got my first because I used to own Floyd Rose-equipped shredders back in the day, and those could be a PITA to keep in tune. Not so with the Strat. Look to the nut if you're having issues.

awasson and 8trackmind like this.
  7. 8trackmind

8trackmind Tele-Holic

I have no tuning issues with vintage keys and a floating bridge. If they are set up and strung properly, they will stay in tune. Mine are from vastly different time periods. American CS (2007), Mexican (2016), and Japanese (1985)

awasson and rolandson like this.
  8. SixStringSlinger

SixStringSlinger Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Locking tuners do provide some benefit, but they're by no means necessary (or a cure-all, in most cases). My Strat with locking tuners stays in tune just fine (and not "for a Strat"), but so do my Squier Jazzmaster with vintage-style tuners and mongrel Esquire with typical wraparound tuners.

As you suggest, the nut is a common culprit, along with other aspects of a guitar's set-up. It's honestly unfair to judge a guitar's merits by playing it in a store, because so much of how we perceive its playability is down to set-up, and guitars in (especially big-box) stores seem to very rarely get that attention before they're bought. More so Strats, whose set-up depends in large part on various aspects being in balance with each other, in a way that's appropriate for the particular player.

awasson likes this.
  9. urbandefault

urbandefault Tele-Meister

A nut properly sized for the string preference, along with proper winding around the tuner string posts, will eliminate the most egregious tuning offenses.

That said, fresh strings with a good stretching are the best way to keep in tune.

Dismalhead likes this.
  10. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Mine is pretty good, but yeah if I use the trem much it goes out. Mine is decked too ...not floating and I use 4 springs lately. I have tried LSR roller nots on 3 strats, I like them but I didn't really see a big difference.
    5 springs really tight and it's better but unuseable.
    Without using the trem my strats stay tuned forever.
    I just dont see the tuners being it, unless you are really deep diving.
    I just think friction and not decking = it's gonna be what it's gonna be. But I dont dive much (for that reason!)
    I'm still waiting for a good E tremelo to be sold. You could lose a lb or 1.5 lb with that vs standard trem too.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2019
  11. Chief101

Chief101 Tele-Meister

2 - a Sherwood Green American Special, and a LPB partscaster that is a great guitar.
    upload_2019-11-16_17-7-42.jpeg
    upload_2019-11-16_17-8-29.jpeg

Greggorios, stnmtthw and Skydog1010 like this.
  12. Skydog1010

Skydog1010 Tele-Afflicted Platinum Supporter

Throw tremolo arm away

Or

Sell it

And

Get a Telecaster Nashville if you must, and add creative 920D electrics to draw out those Stratocasters sounds.

13. eallen

eallen Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

If you wrap your strings on the tuner post improperly, when you use a trem it pulls the string in between the others where it stays. Some people think doing more wraps will help when in reality it will make it worse. Watch a couple vids on proper wrapping & see how it goes.

Eric

bgmacaw likes this.
  14. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

If the nut is correct sized to the strings and slightly lubricated it should return to pitch. Just remember vintage trems don't do divebombs.

Dismalhead likes this.
  15. stnmtthw

stnmtthw Friend of Leo's

Like other posters have said, issues like that are generally the nut is cut incorrectly or the tremolo is set up incorrectly. The Strat tremolo is the best in the business, assuming it's set up properly (and you're not doing EVH dive bombs).

Dismalhead likes this.
  16. stnmtthw

stnmtthw Friend of Leo's

I think you posted this in the wrong thread, but I gave it a like anyway because those guitars are beautiful. :)

Greggorios likes this.
  17. rolandson

rolandson Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Mine is a 64. No issues at all. Same is true for two S-type partscaters. I attribute this phenom to the set-up...

As there is nothing unstable about the design or manufacture of any of them.

awasson likes this.
  18. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Friend of Leo's

Asked on Reddit: "My Yamaha Strat copy won't stay in tune. Do I need new tuners or even a new guitar?"

bad stringing.JPG

awasson and eallen like this.
  19. eallen

eallen Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Exactly!!! Seen it more often than not!

Eric

20. mkdaws32

mkdaws32 Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

LOL !!!!!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.