Strat Trem Covers

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Old Deaf Roadie, Apr 12, 2021.

1. Old Deaf Roadie

Old Deaf Roadie Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I am beginning a Strat-inspired build. Having never actually having owned any type of Strat, I am in the dark on a few minor details.

On genuine Fender Strats, it appears the trem cover plate is simply screwed on over the trem cavity, not recessed. Using a Wlikinson/Gotoh 2-point trem, will there be any clearance issues between the trem block & cover plate on a body with a standard thickness if I recess the plate to be flush with the body? Sure hate to route for it if I can't undo it...

Thanks in advance for any enlightenment you may bestow.

That Cal Webway likes this.
  2. Fretting out

Fretting out Poster Extraordinaire

That recess should only be a few millimeters

I don’t think the block on a trem will hit it
    As long as everything else is built to fender spec

Now if it’s a thin body then that’s another story

And as far as I can tell the springs stick out just about as far as the bottom of the block

3. Preacher

Preacher Friend of Leo's

On standards the plate is indeed just screwed over the cavity. Usually there are holes or a slot for string changes.

However, I hate trying to navigate through the plate into the tremolo block to change a string. Eventually I just take the plate off and leave it off.

As far as routing the plate in, make sure when the tremolo is pivoted that you have enough tolerance for it to move. On that angle it will probably move almost 1/4" on big dives.

4. Old Deaf Roadie

Old Deaf Roadie Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I am thinking that when I get to the trem installation stage, it should not be too difficult to gauge the arc of the trem block. I can then decide if it is even possible to recess the plate. I think I just answered my own question.

5. SRHmusic

SRHmusic Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

We're talking about the backplate trem cavity cover, right? (I thought at first the title was talking about the metal bridge covers on some guitars incl. Strat style ones.)

Here's a thought. If you have some spare plexiglass of the same thickness as the backplate, you can cut it down and tape it to the inside of the backplate. Then with the backplate taped on (thinking painter's tape here) you can see/hear/feel if there's any interference with the springs or trem block. Also you might opt for a 6mm single ply cover instead of the more usual(?) 9mm thickness.

6. Jakedog

Jakedog Telefied Ad Free Member

I’d just leave it open. I’ve a couple hundred strats. The first thing I’ve done with every single one of them is take that cover off and stick it in a parts drawer.

When the Eric Johnson model came out, I thought it was a great feature that there was no cover plate, and no screw holes to install one. It’s a totally useless feature IMO.

FortyEight, Ringo, JRapp and 5 others like this.
  7. Zepfan

Zepfan Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

I don't see the reason why anyone wants a open cavity on the back. Looks like to crap to me. Covers please.

kinkstah, teleplayr and preactor like this.
  8. voskarp

voskarp Tele-Holic

If you wear a rib knitted cardigan, a wool sweater or something similar, the claws can get caught in the threads and mess it up... Just saying, IF you do wear one.:rolleyes:

I do think that Fender should have made it recessed right from the start.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2021
    SRHmusic likes this.
  9. Telekarster

Telekarster Tele-Afflicted

200? Wow! And I thought I was bad! LOL!!! :) Just curious but why do some leave the cover off? I've seen it before but never really understood why.

Jakedog likes this.
  10. Steve Holt

Steve Holt Friend of Leo's

Personal preference. A lot of my favorite Strat players take them off. I think they look cheesy and when the EJ Strat was unveiled it didn't even have holes drilled. I make my Strats with no cover and drill no holes because that's what I like! To each their own.

If you're serious about recessing the trem cover check out @Ronkirn Strat builds. He has them on his website with great pictures if I remember right. And if I'm not mistaken he waits until the thing is painted so he can compensate for the thickness of the paint for the depth. Scary scary stuff. Looks great, but I'll just keep leaving my covers off. Less parts to buy that way too.

Jakedog and Telekarster like this.
  11. Jakedog

Jakedog Telefied Ad Free Member

Well for me, I deck my trems, and I change strings pretty much every gig. It is WAY easier to string with it off, especially decked, and makes no sense to keep pulling it off and putting it back on. The holes would strip out in no time. Generally when I buy a strat, I take the cover off to put five springs on it and screw in the claw, and it never goes back on again.

FortyEight, Ringo, Zepfan and 2 others like this.
  12. Zepfan

A friend of mine was adjusting the claw on his Strat, no shirt on and he has a hairy beer gut, he put the guitar against him and played it and then used the whammy. He went to put the guitar down and pulled about 8 hairs out of his stomach at the same time.:lol: Who needs a wax?:twisted:

Jakedog likes this.
  13. 1 21 gigawatts

1 21 gigawatts Tele-Afflicted

I built both of my strats as tribute models (SRV and EVH). Neither had a trem cover, so I left them off.

It is a cheesy piece of plastic, so I'll remove it from any future strat that I get too.

14. shadco

shadco Tele-Meister

But an outty and the trem springs, ouch.

Zepfan likes this.
  15. Bruxist

Bruxist Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Same. The PRS John Mayer does not have a cover either.

Jakedog likes this.
  16. Ringo

Ringo Poster Extraordinaire

I leave them off of my Strats too, easier string changing , and some folks claim the guitar sounds better with the trem cover off, yeah ...

Bruxist likes this.
  17. Zepfan

Some later models have a slot for string changes instead of holes or you can simply drill out your holes bigger or cut away a slot.

EVH didn't use a rear plate, he didn't use much of a front one either. Lets pull off all the cheesy plastic from our Strat's ,Tele's, JM's, Jag's, Mustang's, Duo-Sonic's, Bass VI's, JBass and PBass and just toss them in the trash because it's cool and everybody else is doing it.
    Now get off my lawn.
    :lol::lol:

1 21 gigawatts likes this.
  18. Zepfan

New band names "Drill Out Your Holes" and "Cut Away A Slot".:twisted:

19. FortyEight

FortyEight Tele-Afflicted

LOL. You would really love mine then....... :eek: That's that green tape for painting. First thing I grabbed.

I'm in the I think they're stupid camp. Sorry. After a few times of changing strings I was like this is dumb.

I do like the other gentlemen. Take that off and deck with 5 springs. I'm not a whammy bar user. And the tape was cuz I liked the sound better. The amp does pick up the differences on, off, damped or not. IMHO.

Attached Files:

20. Zepfan

Yeah I decked my trem for awhile and all I did was adjust the 6 top screws, the claw screws and add springs to 5 in total. It didn't go anywhere when bending strings with the 10's I had on it.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.