Strat Tone Control(s) Questions

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Mr. Neutron, Jan 30, 2019.

1. Mr. Neutron

Mr. Neutron Tele-Meister

Hey, Folks!

I'm slowly getting my parts together to assemble a Strat Partscaster. I've put together a Warmoth Strat/Hybrid (has Telecaster pickups, wiring, and controls, with a Strat body shape and neck) that I play a lot. And when I play it, it's mostly played with the pickup selector switch in the neck position, sometimes the neck/bridge position together, seldom just the bridge. This bridge pickup has a great sound for stuff like the riff in "Hot Rod Lincoln", but I still favor the neck pickup sounds.

And I figure I'll do the same with the Strat I build; play it mostly in the neck position, then the neck/middle sometimes. I have a set of Fender Tex-Mex pickups for this future build, and from what I've read and heard, the Tex-Mex bridge pickup can be a little "trebley" at times. I *think* that I'd kinda like for the neck pickup and middle pickup to share the 1st Tone control, and for the bridge pickup only to use the 2nd Tone pot. But I'd really like to know what most of you folks think......

Is this kinda the way most folks do the "assigning"of the tone controls? Would the wiring diagram shown here in this link be "The One" that I wanna follow when using Tex Mex pickups and wanting to use the Tone controls like I tried to describe above? It says it's called "The Vaughn-Wacker Strat Wiring Mod"........

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 30, 2019
  2. Keefsdad

Keefsdad Tele-Holic

That's the way I like them. The new player Strats are wired like that.

Mr. Neutron likes this.
  3. Mr. Neutron

Mr. Neutron Tele-Meister

Cool, Thanks!!! :cool:

I appreciate the help!

Keefsdad likes this.
  4. sjtalon

sjtalon Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

bad link there, can't see it.

Mr. Neutron likes this.
  5. Mr. Neutron

Mr. Neutron Tele-Meister

Oooppss. Shoot. Sorry about that. Thanks fer lettin' me know that. I'm definitely not the "sharpest tool in the shed" when it comes to linking this type of stuff, posting photos, and etc..

Hmmm. It brings up a pickguard schematic when I click on on it here at my laptop....... Ill try this........

So, if I may...... Are You a Yooper, sjtalon? I used to hunt with a Yooper. He's passed on, but I still recall his stories & great sense of humor. And he was the guy that introduced us to "The Yoopers" with their "The Second Week of Deer Camp" song.

[​IMG]

6. waparker4

waparker4 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

That strat is wired with the so-called '50's wiring mod' which I personally like. It has no tone control for the middle pup. To add that to the neck pup tone pot, connect the black dot on the only unused switch terminal to the red wire next to it going to the neck tone pot.

Greggorios, metale and Mr. Neutron like this.
  7. Mr. Neutron

Mr. Neutron Tele-Meister

Okay, Cool Again!!! Thanks for that, waparker4!!!

I found this video later last night. That's basically doing what the guy in this video describes at the 24:20 point to, say, the 26:30 point in the vid, I think?

He says the capacitor is shared between the 2 tone pots the way he wires his in the vid. Any advantages or disadvantages to that?

8. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's Ad Free Member

The idea that the Tex Mex bridge pickup is a little "trebley" is a puzzler for me. Yes, it has more treble then the other two due to its position, but that pickup set is "overwound" with the bridge pickup having even higher resistance than the other two pickups. I've found Tex Mex bridge pickups to have a very usable bridge tone that isn't bright. A tone control on the bridge pickup made it solid and punchy when rolled off.

metale and Mr. Neutron like this.
  9. Mr. Neutron

Mr. Neutron Tele-Meister

archetype,

Thanks for that! I have to confess I made the "trebley" statement after reading quite a few opinions on various (Strat-Talk, Seymour-Duncan, The Gear Page) forums, and listening to 2 videos. I'd say the majority of folks on the forums seemed to feel the way about these pickups as you stated, which actually is good to hear, for me. But there was a number of folks who didn't like the bridge pickup. I'm gonna wait and see what I think about these pickups after they're in the guitar.

I wasn't super impressed with what I heard in one of the videos, but to be fair, the cheeseball speakers on my laptop don't really do ANY kind of sound clip justice. I really should go back, find both of those vids, and re-listen with my earbuds on, but I do plan on using the Tex-Mex set for a long while, unless they do truly sound bad in my Partscaster......

I got these pickups for a decent price, and I'm not one given to a ton of pickup swapping/tone quests. I'd prefer to just wire them up and then just play the thing, ya know? I need to practice more than to experiment with hardware.

PhatBoy likes this.
  10. Xtyfighterx

Xtyfighterx Tele-Meister

I usually wire everything normal than add the jumper wire so my bottom tone control controls the bridge pup to super fast and easy and makes it way more usable.

Mr. Neutron likes this.
  11. sjtalon

>Are You a Yooper, sjtalon?<

Ya, born here, and stayin' here eh.

I saw Da Yooper's live once, what a hoot naturally. If you like that one, ever hear this:

Sorry to hear about your buddy, where was he from up here?

Zepfan likes this.
  12. Mr. Neutron

Mr. Neutron Tele-Meister

I'll have to ask my cousin where Warren (The Yooper out here in Orygun) was from. He passed away 20 yrs. ago. I forget the small town he was from; I can recall it was near river with a run of salmon or steelhead, which probably doesn't narrow it down much at all. :rolleyes: Warren moved here in OR to work construction, at the same place where my cousin worked. He needed folks to hunt with, and my family needed some comedic relief. His stories about life there were amazing. When I moved to OR from Oklahoma, I was impressed with the loggers out here. Those guys just figured they were some of THE Toughest Men on earth, and lived that way. I think you Yoopers have that very same mindset, which I think is good........

Back on topic, my Warmoth Vintage Strat body got here today. I have some white primer on it already, prepping for the white on white build. For whatever reason, my white pickguard didn't come yet; I think it's going to come with my Gotoh trem bridge. I will be able to start soldering stuff up when that gets here.

And I just remembered I forgot to order a 5-way switch. :confused: Are there any ones to avoid, or ones that seem to work and hold up better? Are the Fender ones okay?

Also, do you guys feel the copper shielding is worth the effort? I get by without it just fine in both my Teles.......

And I truly appreciate each reply here. You folks re really helpful. Thank Y'All!!!

13. sjtalon

>And I just remembered I forgot to order a 5-way switch<

Fender is CRL, they are very good I would say:
    https://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/fender-american-standard-strat-5-way-pickup-selector-switch?rNtt=5 way&index=1

>Also, do you guys feel the copper shielding is worth the effort?<

I would say maybe wait and see, you can always go back and do it after......I'm of the too much shilding is a tone sucker camp :p......I believe the most important if any is just the pickguard, which will do about 80% of it anyway.

Some pups just aren't that noise-ey, also your environment might not be too bad to worry about it.

From what you say about Warren, I'm thinking he must have been near Lake Superior, L'Anse, Baraga area comes to mind.

Mr. Neutron likes this.
  14. Zepfan

Zepfan Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Been awhile since I heard that one.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.