Strat Sounding Tele Neck Pickup

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by pompeii0, Apr 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stylemaster

Stylemaster Tele-Afflicted

To my ears and fingers, the Twisted Tele is just a higher output and slightly more trebly neck pickup - it still sounds like a Tele pickup to me, not a Strat. It doesn't have the fullness on the low end as a vintage-style Strat pickup will have and the high strings sound characteristically weak like most Tele neck pickups as opposed to the strength and the bite a Strat neck pickup has on the high strings. I've tried some of the others including the Rio Tallboy and none of them truly sound like a Strat pickup. I adjust all Tele neck pickups as close to the strings as possible to try to compensate for the higher output of all Tele bridge pickups. However I haven't tried Don Mare's Stelly and can't afford to for the foreseeable future. Too bad since I thought his Stelly might do the trick.

2. fosco

fosco Tele-Meister

+1!

3. stratman323

stratman323 Banned

I sort-of agree with this, though I do like the Twisted Tele. I think I would describe the sound as being half way between the sound of a Tele neck & a Strat neck pickup, just as a Seymour Duncan Twangbanger (Strat bridge pickup) sounds half way between a Strat bridge & a Tele bridge pickup. In both cases the physical differences between the two guitars are probably the reason that the pickups only partially achieve what they set out to achieve, but that's no reason to condemn the pickups - they are both moves in the right direction, from my perspective.

Of course, you could always grab a California Series Tele if you see one for sale. They either came with a neck humbucker or two Tex-Mex pickups, one Tele bridge & one Strat neck. A great combination.

[​IMG]

4. Webfoot

Webfoot Tele-Holic

A person by the name of Colt W.Knight posted a vid of a full size Seymour Duncan strat pickup for the neck that sounded the best I have heard (and have had a couple of 'strat' pickups... harmonic design and dimarzio twang king). Unfortunately it was not clear which single coil strat pickup it was so I have not tried. I think he said 1/4 pounder neck but not sure it that is it. It would be worth contacting him as you can hear it in the youtube vid.

5. e-merlin

e-merlin Doctor of Teleocity

Exactly what I was going to point out, but probably better said.

6. pompeii0

pompeii0 Tele-Meister

Wow, lots of great info and suggestions here! Would something like a mini-hum sounds strat-like at all?

7. WickedGTR

WickedGTR Friend of Leo's

Basically, no.

8. stratman323

stratman323 Banned

Well a P90 doesn't sound Strat like, it's much fatter, warmer & louder, so I imagine a mini HB would be even further away.

9. Slann

Slann TDPRI Member

I bought one, installed it, and wasn't satisfied. The twisted tele from Fender is much better. That being said, Richie Kotzen gets a beautiful tone from his Twang King.

10. Slann

Slann TDPRI Member

Another issue is that pups specifically designed for the tele are not going to get as close to strat pups as strat pups! I love the fat 50s custom shop pups!

11. Chris S.

Chris S. Asst. Admin

3 year old zombie. Closed.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.