1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Strat sound is sixth position?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by MrCoolGuy, Feb 27, 2021.

1. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

One of my Stratocasters, an American Standard with VN pickups is wired for 7 sounds with a mini toggle switch. All three pickups is like position 2 but darker. The bridge and neck are more jangle than twang. I use the bridge and neck a lot on this one.

I moved the middle pickup to the neck position and the neck to the middle on my FCS ‘69 Stratocaster. There’s nothing I can use the bridge and middle for playing clean where I don’t like the middle alone better. The neck and bridge is useful but I use it less with the CS ‘69 pickups than with VN’s because I like the CS middle more. Either way, the mod is quick and easy.

MrCoolGuy likes this.
  2. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

My Flaxwood Laine has global volume and tone and a blend knob to add the bridge in parallel to any combo neck and middle. Great rock sound especially through distortion. IMG_20180626_205920.jpg

3. DougM

DougM Poster Extraordinaire

Is that the bridge and neck together?

4. loopfinding

loopfinding Friend of Leo's

N+B sounds kind of like a jag or mustang, which essentially used strat pickups. it sounds better than the middle, has more of the surfy flavor. when i get my strat back, i'm just going to use the middle as a dummy and rewire the middle to N+B.

5. Ron C

Ron C Tele-Holic

That's my experience too. I just don't play as well with more switches to reach for on the fly.

But I do love the neck and bridge setting too much to give it up on a 3 pickup guitar, so I use a 5 way super switch to get it and my 4 other favorite sounds:

Position 1: Bridge humbucker
    Position 2: Bridge humbucker with partial coil split
    Position 3: Neck and bridge
    Position 4: Neck and middle
    Position 5: Neck

I'm not a wiring guru and always had to look up diagrams, ask members for help or use a multi-meter to figure them out. But I had an epiphany last fall after staring at this generic "what's live in what position" diagram of a super switch.

Since then I feel like they are the easy way to wire up what you want: dedicate one pole per pickup, attach the hot wire to the lug that corresponds to the position you want for that pickup. If you want any partial or full coil splits, dedicate one pole to go to ground and connect any series links there. It became a logical exercise that I could sketch out on paper first, then wire it up.

upload_2021-2-27_17-18-25.png

Don't ask me about series/parallel or out of phase stuff...that's still way over my head!

6. DougM

DougM Poster Extraordinaire

On my Performer (my avatar) it's real easy to remember. If I want the neck pickup on too when I'm on the bridge or bridge and middle position, all I have to do is pull up on the 2nd tone pot.

7. scottser

scottser Friend of Leo's

A strat just needs the bridge pickup wired to the tone pot is all.

8. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Poster Extraordinaire

Yes.

DougM likes this.
  9. thunderbyrd

thunderbyrd Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

i have a strat with a neck - bridge blender pot. it is not a bad sound, but i never use it. but it's one of those things you just have to try, once. neck and quack are all i want out of a strat. YMMV

10. AAT65

AAT65 Poster Extraordinaire

I set up my Shergold Masquerader (Tele bridge and 2 Strat pickups) with a 3-way switch handling B & N in a Tele style plus a push-pull on the tone pot to add in the middle: I don’t find all 3 together particularly interesting so I’m going to change it to be a 3-way in ‘old Strat’ mode, ie selects B, M or N, and the push-pull to add a second pickup in each position so it gives B+N, M+B or N+M. That will give what I hear as the 6 useful 3-pickup sounds with the simplicity of a 3-way switch.

11. Telecaster88

Telecaster88 Tele-Afflicted

I have an MIM Deluxe Strat with a button that engages bridge in positions 4 and 5. All pickups in at once is not that remarkable to me somehow, but neck and bridge is a very sweet sound, similar to but more stratty (natch) than a Tele middle position. I'm mainly a Tele player so maybe that accounts for it, but I use that n+b position a lot. Very sweet, clean, natural tone.

12. Nick Fanis

Nick Fanis Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

It's been a thing since the 60s.
    Google "strat Memphis wiring" and "strat blend knob wiring" (Lindy Fralin)

FYI David Gilmour's famous black strat had a "neck on" switch since the 70s

Personally I always wire my strats with a modified Memphis wiring: 3 way switch, Master vol,Master tone and a Middle pickup blend pot (but I can have the middle pup alone if needed).
    I use the neck+bridge position 90% of the time..I also always install a steel base plate under the bridge pup something that actually makes it useable :)

13. MrCoolGuy

MrCoolGuy Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Yes, but it wasn't a 5- position switch.

14. MrCoolGuy

Yeah, you're right... all that goes out the window in a live setting. But for the 95% of guitar players that don't play in a live setting, it might be something fun to play with.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2021
    Ron C likes this.
  15. LOSTVENTURE

LOSTVENTURE Tele-Afflicted

I added the toggle option to a couple of Strats some time ago. But, I seldom used it. Since I have a Tele now, that covers all my bases.

16. Telenator

Telenator Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

Technically, it was. It just didn't have the detents for position 2 and 4 yet. LOL. C'mon. The 5 position switch was grandfathered in.

MrCoolGuy likes this.
  17. Willie Johnson

Willie Johnson Tele-Holic

Neck and bridge is a very useful sound for a Strat. All three I could take or leave--it's good for funky rhythm stuff. I've thought about trying a four way Tele switch and putting the middle pickup on a second volume/blend.

18. MrCoolGuy

Yeah, but that's not very specific. Jags and Mustangs sound so different. I would imagine it would sound more like a Mustang... jag pickups sound so different with the claw around them.

19. MrCoolGuy

Lol agreed!

20. loopfinding

loopfinding Friend of Leo's

eh, mustangs and jags sound pretty close to my ear. same scale length plus the same pickups. i don't think the claw in the jag messes with the pickup as much as the baseplate and bridge assembly does on a tele.

here's a comparison. there's totally a difference, but they're in the same ballpark. the jag is a little brighter, maybe because of the 1meg pots. the JM, well, no fender sounds like it at all - the pole pieces are away from traditional placement (specifically the neck not at the 24th), pickup is pretty different in dimensions, and then you have the 1meg pots. total treble assault.

but going back to the original thing, i find on a strat it's a similar flavor but maybe a little brighter given the scale length. more surfy than a tele middle since there isn't a discrepancy between the pickup types/assembly.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2021
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.