1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Strat sound is sixth position?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by MrCoolGuy, Feb 27, 2021.

1. MrCoolGuy

MrCoolGuy Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Or even 7th position. Surely I'm not the first person to think of this, but what would a strat sound like with a combination of the bridge pickup and neck pickup? Or with all three pickups?
    I'm not a strat guy... so forgive me if this is a thing...

Willie Johnson likes this.
  2. beyer160

beyer160 Friend of Leo's

It sounds kinda sorta like the Tele middle position. It's real easy to wire up via a push/pull pot, or a toggle switch. The G&L S500 comes with a toggle switch to do this-

201e33677118b5abde14ccd26b4e09ac.jpg

loopfinding and Digital Larry like this.
  3. sonny wolf

sonny wolf Friend of Leo's

My Vintera 50s modified series comes with the S1 switch to enable those sounds.The neck and bridge combination is a bit like the Tele middle position but it still sounds 'Strattier' and the 3 pickups all on sound is like the 2 and 4 positions combined into one sound.

Fendereedo and DougM like this.
  4. RhinestoneStrat

RhinestoneStrat Tele-Meister

I've installed a neck pick up ON switch quite some time ago on my '98 American Std. I really love the extra tonal options. With the bridge and neck it's very Tele and out-of-phase. With all three pick ups on it's very sparkly and full. It was a simple modification that did wonders.:)

[​IMG]

Steve Holt, 4pickupguy and Fendereedo like this.
  5. DougM

DougM Poster Extraordinaire

A lot of guys mod their Strats to give the two extra sounds (It's nicknamed the Gilmour mod), and some guitars come with them from the factory, like the Am Performer and Am Pro II, which have a push/push or push/pull on the 2nd tone pot. The neck and bridge sounds a little like the middle position on a Tele (but only a little), and all three pickups on sounds similar to the quack positions, but a little different. IMO, they are both unique and useful sounds that all Strats should have

stinkey likes this.
  6. stinkey

stinkey Tele-Afflicted

I switched the bridge and mittle pick ups on one of my strats so position four is both.
    Like it as comp sound. Tele ish but not the same.

7. Telenator

Telenator Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

Excessive, multiple switching options is one of those things that some people view as a "must have" yet, seldom, if ever, actually use it on stage.

You can buy Strats with all of these options nowadays, but the appeal seems to be most useful to home players that like to say, "check this out! I have all these switching options," but will never see them used in a live performance. Call me old, but I like a 5 way switch on a Strat. A 3 way switch on a Les Paul. And I have absolutely no use for coil tapping, out of phase, parallel wiring, or any other tom-switchery that seems to add nothing on a gig while adding unnecessary complexity to my guitar.

Diytelecaster likes this.
  8. RhinestoneStrat

RhinestoneStrat Tele-Meister

Here is the ultimate switch for a Stratocaster. It is a 10-position switch which is actually a 5-position doubled up for an extra 5 tones. This is something I'm seriously thinking of getting.;)

Ringo and MrCoolGuy like this.
  9. MrCoolGuy

Cool, I didn't realize that people did this, but makes sense because I know it would be easy to wire up.

Any recordings you know of done these ways?

10. Jay Jernigan

Jay Jernigan Tele-Afflicted

Some of my Strats have a blender.
    It's a more complex mod and the shadings are so subtle that you might prefer a switch.
    Food for thought: made a 3 pickup T-style with a 4-way and a push pull to engage the middle. It has the popular Tele combinations and I can get four "between" tones. No middle only setting on it, yet, but that is only another switch away should I come to miss it.

11. MrCoolGuy

Yeah, I get that.
    I would "call you old" but that would mean a 3-position switch on a strat...
    :)

DougM and raysachs like this.
  12. MrCoolGuy

That's something else I thought of... a slider/blender switch for each pickup.
    So you can blend each in a much as you want. I know that particular wiring would be different, but I haven't seen that. I suppose it would be like a strat with three volumes and three tones and a 10-way switch.

13. Ringo

Ringo Poster Extraordinaire

I put one of the Freeway 10 switches in my Strat a few months back, it's great! I've done many mods over the years , mini switch to get neck/bridge & all 3 pickups, rotary switch for those combinations and some series combos.
    The Freeway 10 is very easy to use, and the extra sounds are killer, for less than you'd spend on one replacement pickup.
    And ... it's easy to wire up too.

RhinestoneStrat likes this.
  14. Telenator

Telenator Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

The old 3 position switch was actually used as a 5 position switch. When we were younger, we would set the switch right between positions to get those 2 and 4 position sounds. And it worked but could be a little difficult to set on the fly. I think for that reason, the 5 position switch kinda gets grandfathered in as an acceptable switch for a Stratocaster. Just don't go putting any push/pull pots on it to make it do weird things that no one uses anyway. I went through that phase and have the ball of wire and old box of weird pots, mini-toggles to prove it.

15. Blrfl

Blrfl Tele-Afflicted

Great to hear. Once it looks like travel is on the horizon again, I'm thinking about building a Stewart Stowaway into a do-everything Strat with P-Rails. The F10 is on the list for that project.

16. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Poster Extraordinaire

It's my favorite mod to a Strat. I usually do a master volume/tone and replace the other tone hole with a two way mini switch, as on my SX Hawk Strat-oid

20201015_112035.jpg

Here's what it sounded like on a recent Twanger mid-week track. I particularly like the chimey sound it gets.

Thinliner, DougM, Deeve and 1 other person like this.
  17. capgun

capgun Tele-Meister

It’s a thing. Has been for a long time. 5 way is all that is needed in the real world. The minor differences would never be noticed in live performances. Sitting at home alone noodling around, yeah, you will notice and enjoy the neck/bridge combo. Live it all goes out the window and is excessive nonsense.

18. Ringo

If you only want the neck / bridge or all 3 pickups a mini switch or push pull tone pot can work. I'm kinda proud that I did this on a Strat that I owned back around 1980, before the internet , I figured out how to do it myself. Not that it is hard but I'm no expert on wiring.
    At any rate it's a usefull mod IMO, the neck / bridge combination sounds great.

I do like the Freeway 10 switch because it leaves the guitar looking stock and you get neck / bridge in parallel, neck bridge in series, neck middle in series, all 3 pickups at once and middle bridge in series , plus the 5 stock sounds.

RhinestoneStrat likes this.
  19. Ringo

I respectfully disagree, the neck / bridge sound is a lot different, I've used it live and in band rehearsals many times, and the series combinations too.
    But if you like your Strat with the 5 way stock sounds that's cool too.

20. capgun

capgun Tele-Meister

No, I like the neck/bridge sound. A 5 way and an S1 is the best option in my opinion, but like I said, all that switching goes out the window in a live setting. We may notice it playing. The handful of guitarists that may be there will see you flipping switches, and they may pick up on three different tones, but that’s it. Do these mods and switching options for yourself of course, but the audience doesn’t know or care if we have one pickup or 17 mini switches.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.