Strat resonance issue low E string - can you help please?

80daytripper

TDPRI Member
Hi all!

Having a strange resonance problem with my Fender Japanese strat. Low E string is making this unwanted resonating sound at the very end of the fretboard. There’s also the same issue at the frets 7-8. No issues with other strings and the guitar has had a proper set up: relief, action and intonation - everything is as it should be. This is not fret buzz and the worst resonance sound is coming at the 21st fret. So, I have no idea what is causing this, I have never witnessed the same before. So can anyone help please? The guitar is about 5 years old. Thanks!

I have a video of this issue but no idea how to post this sorry. ”Attach files”
only lets me choose photos, no video option?

SixStringSlinger

Poster Extraordinaire
Not sure what sound you're describing (aside from "not fret buzz"), but have you investigated the trem springs? Sometimes certain notes will make them ring just so. Just pop off the cover if you have one and tuck a sock or something in there so that the springs are dampened, and play.

80daytripper

TDPRI Member
Not sure what sound you're describing (aside from "not fret buzz"), but have you investigated the trem springs? Sometimes certain notes will make them ring just so. Just pop off the cover if you have one and tuck a sock or something in there so that the springs are dampened, and play.
Thanks for your help, will check this.

SixStringSlinger

Poster Extraordinaire
Oh wow, just saw the video. Is that coming through the amp? If so then I'd think @Peegoo is more on it than I am. The one time I had a Strat spring issue it wasn't audible through the amp. But a pickup issue would be.

Also, a less sexy but also less frustrating possibility: Are you sure the sound coming from the amp isn't causing something else to vibrate? I've had certain notes at certain volumes cause things to rattle. Stuff sitting on top of the amp, too.

SixStringSlinger

Poster Extraordinaire
If the neck pickup is too close to the strings, the magnetic poles can 'capture' (restrict vibration of) the string at that point on the string. This generates a harmonic node in the string and causes that wacky warbling thing you're experiencing.

I knew about the phenomenon, but I didn't know it applied "selectively", to certain notes. Makes sense though, since fretting a note changes its effective length, thus changing the location of the harmonics.

Always something new with these things, and Strats in particular.

Blue Bill

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
Sounds to me like there's that little hump in the neck, around the 12th fret. You may want to consider raising the saddle on that string a tad, or adjusting the truss rod a smidge to get a bit more relief. It may be the pickup being too high like Peegoo said.

80daytripper

TDPRI Member
Sounds to me like there's that little hump in the neck, around the 12th fret. You may want to consider raising the saddle on that string a tad, or adjusting the truss rod a smidge to get a bit more relief. It may be the pickup being too high like Peegoo said.
Many thanks for help. Did this, and lowered the pickups as well. Got it better but not completely away. To be continued...

tomasz

Tele-Holic
Also, check for loose stuff, screws, pots, wires, springs, sometimes they resonate. I was recently experiencing funny buzzing on a tele and it figured, it went away when touching a knob. A guitar is an mechanical object.

80daytripper

TDPRI Member
Thanks, checked the loose stuff already before. The tremolo spring is one thing that buzz a bit when the string resonates. I have to work on that as well.

codamedia

Poster Extraordinaire
Listening to the video, that's the sound when the pickups are set to high. I see mention of the neck pickup above, but all three need to be set at the appropriate level. I'd set the pickup heights to Fender specs before looking too much further.

80daytripper

TDPRI Member
Thanks everybody for help. After quite bit of adjusting, the most likely cause seems to be the pickup height. I lowered all pickups to the pickguard level. The buzzing sound disappeared. Then I raised the neck pick up, and the sound comes back. I'm using 2nd position, so the neck pick up is off. You'll find a video below. Actually, you can hear the buzz acoustically as well.
Pickups lowered

With factory specs it still does the buzzing. Video below. Before the pickup hight was bit more than these specs:
Texas Specials8/64" (3.2 mm)6/64" (2.4 mm)
Factory specs

However there is no way I can adjust the pickups low enough to get rid of the buzz.

Last edited:

tomasz

Tele-Holic
That is not the pickups that are causing the warble. It is most pronounced on the last fret, where the string is shortest, hence less prone to warble due to magnetic field strength, than on a longer string. In my opinion you have a resonance of a mechanical part, like trem springs, saddle springs, maybe saddle height screws are out evenly seated on the plate? Maybe it is a pot?

What I would do here is put a capo on that string, play it constantly, when touching every mechanical part until it stops. When you locate what is causing it, then you can surely find a way to fix the issue.

jackleg

Tele-Meister
some have to lower the pickups until the magnets are flush with pickguard. sounds strange, but worth the try....

FortyEight

Tele-Afflicted
You could maybe check the spring claw to see if its tight? obviously it will be tight with springs on but if its not seated well before springs are put on it might have some more vibrations.

schmee

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
Here is the video:
So that doubling note fretted up high? Kinda out of tune? That is weird. Sounds a bit like the pickup is too close to the string pulling it out of tune. Also sounds a bit like the guitar isn't intonated right. I didn't hear it down lower. Id it was a semi hollow I wold say the strings are ringing behind the bridge...