Strat question, seeking Telecaster tones

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Skydog1010, Aug 28, 2019.

1. Skydog1010

Skydog1010 Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

Here's my theory, let me know if I'm missing the mark, please.

Have tons of Strats to work with.

Want to create Tele tones.

If I use,

a stainless steel pickguard

Nocaster pickup in bridge position, standard cant.

I want a TV Jones Classic in neck, for a bit more jangle, should I at least get to second base with this configuration?

I remain clueless in Carolina.

2. SixStringSlinger

SixStringSlinger Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I recently switched my Strat's plastic pickguard for an anodized gold one. While I do notice some change in it's tone acoustically, I can't say I really notice anything different through an amp. Nothing any more Tele-like, anyway. I wouldn't know if your stainless one would be any different.

I think a large part of the equation is the bridge. Even a clamped-down-and-blocked Strat trem bridge will contribute to a tone that has more "give" than the more strident tone I associate with Tele's, compared with your typical Tele bridge design.

A not-uncommon mod involves attaching some kind of metal plate to the bottom of a Strat's bridge pickup. Tele's have these, and it apparently contributes to the Tele tone. Does the Nocaster pickup you plan to use have one?

You might also explore switching options that allow you to use the neck and bridge pickups together without the middle (assuming you'll have a middle).

bgmacaw and Skydog1010 like this.
  3. JeffBlue

JeffBlue Tele-Afflicted

I made a couple of copper strat pickguards routed for P90 in the neck, strat in the middle and telecaster bridge pickups. Having a telecaster bridge pickup in a strat is a great way to get tele sounds from a strat.

Skydog1010 likes this.
  4. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

My first Tele was a Strat with a pickguard loaded with Tele pickups and control electronics, it Twang!ed better than my first Tele.

The Telecaster tone is mostly about ergonomics (there is a lot of magic thrown around like bridge plate and tone wood etc etc) but here's what you'll need:
    -Move the Strat volume knob to the first tone pot location and plug the volume pot hole, now you are not blocked from strumming back there. Convert the remaining tone knob to a master tone knob. This is an advantage Hendrix had playing his righty Strats lefty -- no volume knob in the way of his picking hand.
    -Tele bridge vs strap pins and thigh cut put it slightly forward of where the Strat sits ... so players tend to put their palm behind the Tele bridge and pick between the bridge pickup and the saddles. This is where the Twang! comes from. Pick a Strat there (without the volume knob in the way) and it Twang!s too. Most players pick a Strat between the neck and middle pickups for a Strat's characteristic tones.
    -Tele bridge pickup is slightly hotter than Strat pickups, due to about 10-20% more bobbin windings.
    -Find an 1/8th inch steel plate to stick to the bottom of the Strat bridge pickup to reflect the magnetic field and increase output.
    -Alternately, load up the Strat with a Tele pickups and controls.
    -Hard tail or block the Strat trem and pull out the claw and trem springs (move the ground wire to something else than the claw you pulled out).
    -Swap the neck and middle pickups in the pickguard and you'll have a Tele 3-way switch with two extra middle pickup positions. You'll give up the #4 Quack option for the Tele neck+bridge option. Swap bridge and middle if you want to give up #2 position instead.

Skydog1010 and Zepfan like this.
  5. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

Make sure your setup is going to allow the pickups to be adjusted so they're mostly above the plane of the metal pickguard. Depending on what metal you choose, those eddy currents can really be messed with (with aluminum having more effect that you'd think).

I guess Jvin248 is talking about a right hand/palm larger than mine. I'm twanging with the palm on, and not behind the bridge.

6. E5RSY

E5RSY Poster Extraordinaire

7. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire

I think the tele bridge and pickup are key. or as you say a metal picguard for the pickup

Skydog1010 likes this.
  8. E5RSY

E5RSY Poster Extraordinaire

I'm not the technical type, but I've always had this hunch that the fact that the Strat's pickups are suspended in the air in the pickguard, vice being anchored to the body like a Tele, must have something to do with the difference. Not sure if there's any truth to that, or not; but it makes sense to me.

rze99 and Skydog1010 like this.
  9. urbandefault

urbandefault Tele-Meister

Da tonez is in da fingerz. ;)

Luthi3rz and Skydog1010 like this.
  10. trahx

trahx Tele-Meister

11. Johnnypops

Johnnypops TDPRI Member

Funnily enough I had a really sweet mex strat and then my next guitar was a US tele and I copped a lot of friends asking how I loved the tele and to tell the truth THAT strat sounded TOO similar to the tele and I did I couldn’t tell the difference
    A year or two later I got a US strat and suddenly apples and oranges
    Lesson learnt my mex strat sounded so much like a tele that I didn’t know how a strat was supposed to sound
    You want both worlds get a mex strat and maybe muck around with middle pup

I also have to say it took a while to adjust to playing the tele over the strat, as I’d only played strat or strat copies for 30 years so there was a period of adjustment to figure out my new girls voice

12. WireLine

WireLine Tele-Afflicted

I’ve got a 95 Hecho en Mexico Strat with a Tele in bridge, Vintage Strat mid, and a cool rails in neck positions. One vol, one tone, and 2d tone repurposed to be a blend knob varying from series to parallel and everywhere in between...

Gets some dang near perfect Tele tones.

13. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

Get a real tele bridge pickup, pick closer to the bridge, lock down that trem the best you can or even do a hardtail conversion. That will get you pretty close.

14. mkdaws32

mkdaws32 Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

I tried a steel Fralin baseplate on my strat bridge pickup and the difference was negligible. As everyone seems to be saying, there’s a lot of little differences that add up. I just ordered a T Banger from Vineham pickups - it’s supposed to be a drop-in tele sounding pickup for a strat. I’m not expecting miracles - but I’m hoping it’s in the ballpark!

15. Mr. Neutron

Mr. Neutron Tele-Meister

20181115_152256.jpg

You coud get/make one of these, maybe.......... It Twangs!!!!!

Matthias likes this.
  16. blues

blues Tele-Meister

You might want to call up someone like Budz a.k.a. Budz pickups . Ask him to wind you a higher output bridge pickup on a plate.

If you want closer Tele tone and like Strats look into a hardtail

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.