Strat Players, Your Worst Strat

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Platefire, Dec 19, 2018.

1. Platefire

Platefire Friend of Leo's

Everybody is always posting on their best strat or their new strat purchase. Well what about out of your collection, the strat left behind, not highly favored, hardly sees the light of day tucked away in a case/gig bag. This could be a real American strat, custom build, parts caster or any kind of copy.

Mine is a project guitar I bought for cheap at a pawn shop. I love white strats, that caught my eye and it was $40---so I thought lets see what we can do with it. It's a Behringer iAxe 393. Made to work with your computer that came with software and computer interface. It did have a regular 1/4" jack to plug into an amp though! The upgrades were a high end wiring kit, Artec Classic staggered pole Alnico pickups and roller string trees. Off course I did my standard strat setup with floating trem, neck adjustment, intonation, pickup height and action like I like it.

The ax don't look half bad and plays rather well with pretty nice classic strat tones. All I can say is I prefer my other 5 strats over this one. I tried my best to sell it on e-bay for a long period of time and kept lowering my price to where I was well below my investment and still no bites. So I finally gave up and just decided to keep it for now, since I didn't have any choice:>) So here it is in all it's radiant beauty:>)
    Platefire
    DSC03842.JPG
    DSC03797.JPG

DSC03848.JPG
    DSC03811.JPG DSC03828.JPG

Last edited: Dec 19, 2018
  2. Paul Jenkin

Paul Jenkin Friend of Leo's

I have only owned two. My first one (my least favourite) was a second-hand MIM HSS I bought because it was reasonably cheap. The humbucker was a Seymour Duncan. Everything worked fine but I couldn't get it to sound like a strat when I hit the bridge pickup. It was black, white scratch plate and maple neck. Nice guitar but just didn't sound right, at least to me.

My second is an AVRI '56 reissue. Same colour scheme / fretboard and I really like how it sounds.

3. beagle

beagle Friend of Leo's

I don't buy guitars I don't like, so none of them are my worst.

4. Platefire

Hi Paul

Yeah, a Fat Strat! I've been wanting a fat start for a long time and finally got one March of this year.
    It took me a while to get adjusted to it with all that jump in power from the single coils to the humbucker. It's a different kind of strat machine but I've really come to like mine a bunch.
    I use the neck and middle pickups for my classic strat sounds, the 5th switch position has a really fat powerful quack sound I like and I use the humbucker exclusively when I want to go over the top. The humbucker is like a power pack just waiting for action at the right moment to be kicked in.
    That way it works for me. Platefire

5. Recce

Recce Friend of Leo's

I sold the one that didn't get played at Carter's Vintage. It was an American made Texas Special in Candy Apple. Looked brand new. It was actually a very nice guitar and sold fast, I just had a couple others that got played and not it so out the door it went.

6. Platefire

Beagle---well a project guitar like my cheap beast is something I buy as a challenge to hone my set up abilities and see what I can do with it. I would prefer to learn on one that if I screw up, not much lost! To me it's good fun. Unfortunately I had to quit buying project guitars because I'm running out of room. So that kind of explains where I'm coming from. Sometimes these project guitars turn out to be really special in the end. Platefire

knockeduptele and FenderGyrl like this.
  7. knockeduptele

knockeduptele Tele-Meister

This one - the new workshop decoy built out of parts lying around to be left out on the wall so they don't steal the good stuff. It replaces the last decoy that I couldn't help messing with till it got to be just too good and I had to lock it away.

IMG_1290.jpg

Djentleman Dan likes this.
  8. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Necessarily kind of a negative thread, so...

Mine was my very first guitar, a 2010 MIM Strat. Nothing in particular wrong with it, except I loathe thick poly finishes, and overweight 'dead' bodies. And thin modern C necks. And modern 10mm post sealed tuners. And cheap ceramic pickups. And crappy zinc trem blocks.

The neck wound up with a killer stainless refret. I still don't like the profile, but the neck lives on, as part of an MJT assembly. The tuners have been replaced with Klusons, with conversion bushings.

At one point, I had changed most every part, including Texas Special pickups. This guitar is the one that taught me you can't get there from here. Now I buy AV or CS, which is what I really wanted all along, it seems.

Now the original hardware is either sold or languishing in a drawer, not being worth enough to bother selling. The replacement stuff I bought to improve it is mostly sold. And the body is stripped, and sitting under my bench. Firewood.

9. cousinpaul

cousinpaul Friend of Leo's

A couple of years ago, I was given a couple of gutted guitars by a fella I did some work for. There was an Epi LP jr and a Squier strat. The Epi was restored and went to my oldest son. I "esquired" the strat with a single GFS Surf 90 from my parts box. The former owner liked it so well, I wound up giving it back. Must say, it looked tuff; white with a RW board and a parchment guard. Wish I had a pic... It was a one trick pony but what a trick! Even so, not my thing at all.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2018
  10. Zepfan

Zepfan Poster Extraordinaire

My first Strat type guitar was the worst. It was a noname plywood wonder that I bought at a pawnshop and it just didn't have any redeeming qualities at all. I gave it away to a kid that was wanting a guitar to learn on.

11. Platefire

The Behringer(in OP) I could actually play and make work if I had to. I would sure rather have it than nothing but long as I have other options, I'll take them:>) I do take it out and hook it up every now and then. Platefire

12. frankg11

frankg11 Tele-Holic

Every guitar I own is my worst guitar. I have bought dozens of them trying to find the one that will make me sound great. I guess I have to keep trying out new ones because I can't find that unicorn.

I find that I have guitars that I can't bond with. They are great guitars, I just don't want to pull them out and play them all the time. Some of these are:

1. 65 Epi Sheraton Reissue
    2. Taylor Standard Solid Body
    3. Hot Rod Tele <- yes I know this is odd, but every time I take it out and play it, I only go 2-3 days before swapping it out for something else.

Omiewise65 and Djentleman Dan like this.
  13. jrblue

jrblue Tele-Afflicted

My worst Strat was a Custom Shop '57. In other words, I have not owned a bad Strat.

bluesky1963 likes this.
  14. D_W_PGH

D_W_PGH Friend of Leo's

A white ask body bubinga neck strat that I just finished for my daughter. She didn't ask for those components, but I put together a kit prior to that with chinese swamp ash, and the kit is hopelessly light, had a fake rosewood fingerboard (actually, just looked like little laminated plies of rosewood together with tiny voids all over, which I filled, oiled dark and then buffed, so you can't see the plies).

Anyway, I thought I'd try the opposite end of the spectrum. The guitar is heavy, the neck is very vintage (way too round for my taste, even after shaving it down some), but it does sound great. My daughter is only 9, so it's probably about a pound per year in terms of weight/age. Not a ratio that you want to have at 1 or greater, or even close.

So it's just not as comfortable as a throw around lighter strat.

Has a low price alnico V set in it with some oddball push button that takes brightness away, but sounds nice - just something you'd put back if you were in a store due to the weight.

The first was a kid, second mentioned here was a purchased body and neck - and i'm convinced now that the only way to go is building from scratch. Strangely enough, what I was going for (a real solid feeling guitar that still had some resonance) is better achieved with cherry, so with templates in hand now, I'll build a couple from scratch and use cherry, at least for the body.

15. trahx

trahx Tele-Meister

Back in 2001 I ordered a new lefty American Deluxe Strat from Fender. Beautiful guitar but I could never really bond with it. I replaced pickups, pickguard w/ custom wiring. It sat in the closet for years while I played mostly Teles. I call it the worst because I had saved a lot to get it and thought it would be my dream guitar. Ended up trading for a nice USA Tele that I love.
    I also have a '91 MIJ Strat (that I bought for $125) that I can play for days.
    I learned that new doesn't always mean best and old / inexpensive doesn't mean worst.

Omiewise65 and Djentleman Dan like this.
  16. Platefire

My dream as a young man was a Les Paul, so I got a new 71 Les Paul Custom Black Beauty. Had all kind of trouble with that taking it back to the shop continually and finally swapped it for sunburst Fender Strat and Deluxe Reverb amp. My first Strat ever! Turned out I had all kind of problems with it also and ended up trading it for A Guild Star fire(335 copy). Now that was a good guitar that I played for several years. Later I picked up a used 1965 Sunburst Strat with RW Board which was my first good strat that was a Great Strat that eventually led to making me a strat man. Those guitars are all long gone now. My present #1 Strat is a 1997 CIJ 50's Reissue Strat. Platefire

17. Tommy Biggs

Tommy Biggs Friend of Leo's

In the 80s I needed a better guitar but didn’t have much money, and got a local deal on a Strat from a guy- I threw in a bench, a set of weights and some extras to make up for the cash I didn’t have.

It was pretty, Oly white with black pick guard and pickups, but it wasn’t a great player for me, and I traded it on 48th street for a Tele bass that I still use (not too often, but I need a bass).

Eventually I bought a 94 Am Std Strat that I really like.

18. thunderbyrd

thunderbyrd Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I owned a squire for a little while that I thought was junk. traded it for a fuzz box.

19. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

My first ever strat was an 80s MIJ Squier, black with a maple board, the ones that people are all crazy about now. Bought in the 80s when it was considered an OK guitar if you didn't have the bucks for the real thing. That thing was a piece of junk. Wouldn't stay in tune, weak and character-free pickups, buzzy but not particularly good action. Fortunately I had no idea you could mod guitars back then so I just traded it in plus several hundred dollars for a real deal Les Paul.

20. 5595bassman

5595bassman Tele-Holic

A few years ago I needed a hard shell case for a MIM Strat that came with a gigbag.

Came across this kit for $50. The strap went on a white Ibanez bass. The knobs went on a Partcaster as they were of the right color. Picks are always useful as well as a set of strings.

The Epi went in the gigbag and I never touched it since. If I ever get a neck with the proper headstock for a very good ( low ) price it will serve as a platform for an other Partcaster. But I do not put high hope in this one.

Epiphone Strat (1).JPG

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.