Strat player asks: What's so great about the 'plank?'

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by alderash, Jun 11, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. XTeleMan

XTeleMan TDPRI Member

The sound, man, the sound!

(Not to mention, the feel, and everything else.)

2. sonny wolf

sonny wolf Friend of Leo's

Though I am mainly a Strat player,I use the Tele for a fair share of my playing every night when gigging.While the Strat covers most of my needs it doesn't do everything as well as my Tele does for certain things.For example,while my Strat excels at my S.R.V. style blues playing(obviously),the Tele is really nice when playing certain 50's,vintage style blues songs.I particularly love the Tele pickup for it's fatter tone than a Strat neck pickup and it sounds really great for more vintage,old school blues licks in the styles of Muddy Waters,Jimmy Reed,T bone Walker ect.And then there is the bridge pickup on a Tele,it is a much fuller tone than a Strat bridge pickup...a lot ballsier.I could use a Tele bridge pickup through a whole song without feeling it is too thin but a with a Strat bridge pickup,I'll mainly use it in a part of a solo where I want to 'peak' and use that edginess for effect....not through a whole song as much.I think both models really excel at certain things better than the other.That is why I use both those and also a Les Paul or Sg......don't get me started on the benefits of Gibsons...ha!ha!

3. menialmoose

menialmoose TDPRI Member

Far as the "but can they rock hard?" debate and examples go...
    You all tiptoe over to Status Quo, sobbing in the corner over there, and say:
    "Sorry, of course we remember you guys" right now.

4. Flatfoot

Flatfoot Tele-Meister

I don't own a Strat, but my son has a '98 American Standard Strat. One day not long ago while playing my Tele I picked up his Strat and plugged it into my amp (leaving the settings alone) and was surprised at how it sounded. Dare I say kind of dull in comparison. I didn't realize how accustomed I had become to the spank of my Tele. All that said, I don't think that means the Strat is inferior, just different flavors. :rolleyes:

5. ChickenKiller

ChickenKiller Tele-Holic

Man I am an ol acoustic player who just got me a tele... AND YOU SIR ARE CORRECT!!

I hear a LOT more mistakes now than I have ever heard in my playing ever!

6. teleluvr

teleluvr TDPRI Member

My #1 rule - Stop thinking about how other players sound and start thinking about "your" sound. It doesn't matter if you want to play country, funk, metal or jazz - you can do it on a Tele. The best part might just be that you don't sound like someone else who did it before.

7. tpaul

tpaul Poster Extraordinaire

In the interim since this thread was started, the OP has moved from Strat to Tele, then to Les Paul, then to PRS; he then gave up guitar altogether, went back to school, got a degree in chemical engineering, moved to Montana, and started raising chickens.

But carry on.

8. Knotty

Knotty TDPRI Member

Teles are for men.
    Strats are made for ladies.
    Those hollow bodies are made for jazz players...
    Then we got that long hair music.

Its interesting that I bought & set up a pretty purple Strat for my curlyfriend. She liked it but... Then she saw a pink paisley Tele. Everytime I went we went to the guitar shop, she would play the paisley. I finally asked it she would like to trade off the Strat. "CAN I?"

I have Strats & Teles. I love them both. As Teleluvr said"your sound". Iv been looking for mine for a white. Different amps, different guitars, different settings. I finally found it with a AVRI '52 through a Night Train.
    Anything more?

Craig

9. fendertastic

fendertastic Tele-Meister

I love old threads, ---also, for you commonwealth fellas, status quo are pretty much unknown in the states, I can't make the call on our northern brothers in canadialand though

10. Knotty

Knotty TDPRI Member

I use to love their stuff.

from the SunnyWarmNorth
    C

11. Telemach_1

Telemach_1 Tele-Afflicted

I envy you ;)......Naw, just kiddin'. I've seen them in the 70ies on big open air festivals. I clearly remember Roger Parfit (or was it the other guitar player?) once stating in an interview that the whole band was really in favor of playing Telecasters over AC30. According to them this combo was the ultimate R&R package. It took me 30 years to understand what he was talking about. I think he was dam# right.
    I saw them in 75 , each one of them using a wall of multiple Marshalls. It was terribly loud.

As for the OP, I'm a Strat player since over 30 years. It definitely is the ultimate electric guitar, great tonal versatility and well balanced in weight distribution.
    But like others already stated, you can't have both worlds in one. In the seventies and some still do it, guitar players used to have a whole bunch of guitars on stage.
    The reason why so many guitar slingers like SDRV, Jimi and many others preferred a strat is probably due to its' balanced sound. A strat rarely gets shrill no matter how much you beat it or accidentally strum it wrong during your wild stage performance. It's like a guitar w. a build in compressor for free. Good for acrobatic show guys.
    With a Tele things are more delicate. One wrong strumm or pick and you mess it all up.
    on the other hand the more pedals, racks and sound guys you use the less delicate and the less complicated using a Tele gets for you. And w. the ballsier bridge PU a Tele is at least if not better usable for Rock and Metal.
    Telecasters were extremely popular in Europe during the Punk era.

IMO Strats are better balanced w. healthy mids. I prefer it over a Tele for numbers like Sultans of Swing or similar. Then you got those extra blend w. the 5 pos. switch. Those I use rarely, but then the middle PU is extremely musical IMO. The bridge PU is weak and thin, but not that bad when playing a cranked up Fender amp and you aim for a Bakersfiels sound in parts of a song. Just roll the pot down a bit and there you have it. With a Tele bridge PU and a cranked up amp it can get a bit muddy and distorted.
    Off course nothing beats a Tele bridge PU for a Bakersfield sound w. an amp not cranked up and clean.

However I find myself playing Teles almost most of the time lately. Taste and preferences change once in a while and w. a Vibrolux you can easily get hooked on it. Duke Levine is my personal reference sound for THE Tele sound of my liking. Sounds like a steel guitar too.

12. Knotty

Knotty TDPRI Member

Bakerfields sound?

What is that?

Craig

13. Slann

Slann TDPRI Member

Great question! I've been a Strat man all my guitar life as well. But there was always "something" about Steve Cropper, Jimmy Bryant, Ray Flacke, Albert Lee, the Hellecasters, Albert Collins, Roy Buchanon, James Burton (to name a very few) that made my wonder the same thing...what is it? So (after a few friends of mine had shown me their old '50s Teles, I built a Tele (figured I'd save money and add all the pups, options and color I wanted). I also wanted the out of phase setting with both pups on that I liked so much in some of the old blues players, so that's how I wired it.
    That was 16 years ago, and by now the wood has dried out enough to really "ring".
    You have to work at getting your sound from a Tele, but once you apply yourself, there's a certain soulfulness that no other guitar gives you. I've always thought talking about music is kind of stupid anyway, because you hear and feel it in rhythm...words don't really work. But last night, like a lot of nights, I was able to have the Tele sing for, and make me feel it in a really special place. Maybe that's selfish, but it sure makes me feel all is right with the world!
    The Tele is, in one sense, the simplest of electric guitars...the essence. I know I love it!

14. Slann

Slann TDPRI Member

One more thing....the body shape definitely has something to do with the particular tonal characteristics of both Teles and Strats. Why? I'm not sure, but I bet some physicist could get his teeth into relating the shape and mass of a guitar body to it's timbre/tonal characteristics. I've played around with switching Strat and Tele pickups(meaning the whole electronics circuit assembly) in and out of each other's bodies, and found that the body retained it's tonal characteristics (with obvious allowances for 2 and 3 pups) no matter what pups were installed. This is not to say that certain pups are better or worse than others, but only that the overall sound is recognizable depending on the body shape.

15. Swee_tone

Swee_tone Tele-Holic

+1

Last edited: May 18, 2010
  16. Breen

Breen Friend of Leo's

17. A.B.Negative

A.B.Negative Friend of Leo's

A couple of people have said that you need to work at getting a good Tele sound but I totally disagree (plug in Tele, set amp controls at 12 o'clock, commence rocking).

Strats are generally too thin-sounding for my taste (although I love Richard Thompson's Strat sound).

That thicker Tele sound is the sound I really love to play with.

And a Bigsby B5 or B50 is much better than a Strat trem.

18. TeleComeLately

TeleComeLately Tele-Meister

His Tele sound ain't half bad either.......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJKnk09YuQU

19. Jack S

Jack S Friend of Leo's

The Telecaster speaks the pure, unadulterated electric truth. All else pales by comparison.

20. mrstrat

mrstrat Tele-Meister

The Blues had child they called it Rock & Roll. The Telecaster had a child they called it a Stratocaster. Ezz up. There both Fenders. Call me weird but I need both the Strat & a Tele. I really can't say what one I like better. All throw I have one Strat and two Teles and want a new one.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.