1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Strat pickup set: same output all 3, or hotter bridge pickup?

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by AJBaker, Oct 21, 2020.

All 3 the same or hot bridge pickup?

1. All 3 the same

26.5%
  2. Hot bridge pickup

73.5%
  1. goatofballstreet

goatofballstreet TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

I like matching all three and using the neck for leads, bridge for rhythm.

notroHnhoJ likes this.
  2. notroHnhoJ

notroHnhoJ Tele-Meister

I like sort of not relying on the bridge pickup, with an old school “all the same” Strat set. That “hot” bridge characteristic is a Telecaster ya’ll.

3. notroHnhoJ

notroHnhoJ Tele-Meister

Right! Its a different strategy from “telecasting.” The apparently loudest pickup in my Strat is the middle pickup, and I end up using it quite a bit for something to poke out in the mix.

4. Willie Johnson

Willie Johnson Tele-Meister

No tone on the middle and put it on the bridge instead. Bright, ringing chime by itself, and more quack than a pond full of mallards in positions 2 and 4.

5. AJBaker

AJBaker Friend of Leo's

I've really been getting into a new set that measures 7k on the bridge and 5.9k on the other two (all three pickups same magnets, stagger and coil wire).

Seems to balance nicely.

6. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

All the same pickups, set the heights (lower is better), set the bass/treble tip, set them all by ear.

Just like Jimi !

Also pay attention to how he picks and what trouble his tone would be in if there were a regular Strat Volume knob in the way.

7. blue metalflake

blue metalflake Doctor of Teleocity

I like it with all three basically the same, set up for equal volumes no matter what switch position.

8. Blues Twanger

Blues Twanger Tele-Meister

On my s-types I usually run all three a little hotter than the usual vintage and increasing in steps from neck to bridge. Personally I like the tone from a slightly fatter neck pickup, the growl from a fatter still middle, and I prefer the meatiness of a moderately overwound bridge position.

I don't need the heat to push tubes harder, amps and pedals make their own heat these days, but it's a tonal preference to my liking.

9. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

I prefer a slightly hotter bridge for soloing. On my old MIM Strat I replaced the stock bridge p'up with a Tex Mex. It was nice.

My US Strat is an HSS. I kinda wish it were a single coil though, the humbucker is just a touch too much, and the #2 position seems kinda sterile when it should be a happy place. I'm actually thinking of selling/trading it for a SSS.

10. codamedia

codamedia Poster Extraordinaire

I like the output to be equal... but I prefer a thicker sounding bridge pickup than a standard strat would come with. Not louder, thicker ;)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.