Strat Pickup + ??? = PAF sound

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by jhawk, May 15, 2014.

1. jhawk

jhawk Tele-Meister

So let's say I want a SSH configuration on a strat, but want to keep the standard strat pickups and just add one more single coil to run in series with the neck pickup (creating a humbucker), like so:
    [​IMG]
    If I'm looking for a PAF-esque sound out of that humbucker, what single coil could I put in series with the strat pickup? Any ideas? I was thinking maybe a melody maker pickup...

2. Zepfan

Zepfan Poster Extraordinaire

I had a Behringer S/S/H with lousy sounding single pups. So I wired the neck and middle singles together in series for a humbucker. Sounds great, changed the 5 way switch out for a 3 way.

3. Zepfan

So you could add a middle single coil under the neck pup wired in series or on a toggle for coil split. May need to do some routing along with routing the pickguard.

4. blind illusion

blind illusion Tele-Meister

I dont really know if you can get a PAF sound out of 2 single coils. I dont know enough on this stuff to give an opinion on what pickups, other than maybe something like a lil 59 or alnico pro 2, but another option maybe to consider is something like this: keep the neck p/u there, but add a humbucker, like the steve morse guitar kinda, its a way to keep both sounds and get the best of them. It may not be the prettiest look, but its gonna give you lots of options. here is a pic the guitar I was talking about, think of it like how the single coil is right next to the bridge hb, something like that but in the neck. [​IMG]

5. Cat MacKinnon

Cat MacKinnon Friend of Leo's

I'm not sure how close you could get, since SC's are built differently than the coils in humbuckers. I mean, you might be able to get close, but something like that would require a ton of experimenting to find the right pickup...in other words, lots of time and money.

If that's the sound you're after, I'd suggest replacing the current pickup with a single-coil-sized humbucker (like the Little '59). Seymour Duncan, DiMarzio and loads of other builders offer them, and the price is going to be pretty comparable to one of their single coils anyway.

6. Zepfan

What is so different? A HB is 2 coils, 1 cw and 1 ccw wired together. 1 Single coil that is cw(neck) and 1 single coil ccw(middle) wired in series is the same thing isn't it?

7. Joe-Bob

Joe-Bob Doctor of Teleocity

No, not really. :neutral:

The way they are made is significant to the sound. The size of the coils and magnets is important. If you want a PAF-type sound, just put in a Duncan '59 humbucker. Still, there's a little more to the classic PAF sound than just the pickups.

8. jhawk

jhawk Tele-Meister

Yeah, I just want to be able to get all the standard strat combinations + PAF neck sound, so maybe in the "???" spot I should just put a Duncan little '59 or Dimarzio Pro Track and be done with it. I just thought it might be cool to mix a strat pickup with something else, but like Cat said it'd be a lot of experimenting.

9. lendryesky

lendryesky Tele-Afflicted

That's a big misconception. Humbuckers are constructed a lot more differently than two normal single coil pickups.

10. Ringo

Ringo Poster Extraordinaire

Typical PAF style humbucers have a bar magnet under the two coils, while your typical single coil has alnico magnets for the pickup poles, totally different construction.
    Some pickup makers build a humbucker that is made out of two single coil pickups , but from what I've read it doesn't sound the same as a PAF, and there is a wide variety of the so called PAF humbucker tone too.

11. Zepfan

I didn't think about the amount of magnets. When I was playing around with my setup, I knew that the #2 and #4 positions on the switch were adding the middle pup in parallel. So I just wired the neck and middle in series to get a more likeable HB sound. The pups are still in their original place in the pickguard, but sound much better than before. Sounds like a HB to me.

12. Cat MacKinnon

Cat MacKinnon Friend of Leo's

Don't forget that with most single-sized humbuckers you'll still have four wires, so you can also wire in a coil split toggle or push-pull pot. That way you'll still have access to a single-coil tone from that pickup if you want it.

13. D.Allen

D.Allen Tele-Holic Vendor Member

I make a humbucker from two FULL sized strat single coils called a Double Standard. This might work for you and it has 4 conductor lead so you can split and have full sized single coil.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.