Strat Pickup in Tele?

mjtrip001

TDPRI Member
Gilmour done it.

0fa43ee0f35757c66b69eb56b1f54951--david-gilmour-pink-floyd.jpg
Is that a strat pup or is the cover removed from a tele neck pup? It looks kind of small to be a strat, but that could just be me..

Gigante_Miguel

Tele-Meister
Gold Supporter
I'm thinking of putting a Strat Single Coil Pickup in a Tele, neck position. I know I have to ream the hole out for it to fit, just wondering if anyone has done it? I love to try different things on guitars...
I built this one just so I could put a strat pickup there, it sounds great.

Attachments

• Mama Tried Tele.jpg
    Mama Tried Tele.jpg
    326.7 KB · Views: 10

h34vy d1st0rt10n

TDPRI Member
This had been done to my '60 Tele when I got it in the early '80s and changed back to the stock neck PU when I got it. I always wondered what it sounded like with the bridge PU in the neck position. Care to describe it? Thanks.
Basically I consider bridge pup in neck position is a last final fix of the tele design, after individual string adjustment bridge or compensated bridge and locking tuners installed. I have a shrill and brittle ceramic pup in neck position, unlike on the picture where an alnico is visible. The shrillness and icepick is disappearing in neck position, but it still chugs 95% tight when palm muting compared to a bridge single coil in a strat for example, very decent attack and pleasant round sound. It is quite hard to tell what is it like, but the closest is probably a P90 in the neck position. What is amazing now the middle position, rich fullrange sound, quite even low/mid/high, I use in-phase series wiring.

Zappastectomy

TDPRI Member
I'm thinking of putting a Strat Single Coil Pickup in a Tele, neck position. I know I have to ream the hole out for it to fit, just wondering if anyone has done it? I love to try different things on guitars...
I have two in mine. It’s an American pro body and WD baseball bat neck.

The neck PUP still sounds very Tele though. All are Fralins. Blues Special in middle and bridge, vintage hot in neck. Love it! It’s my Gilmour/Hick machine!

Attachments

• 77BC982C-B553-47DB-A61A-48C198C8E186.jpeg
    77BC982C-B553-47DB-A61A-48C198C8E186.jpeg
    100.3 KB · Views: 19

teletimetx

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
Thanks for the article. I genuinely would have liked to have read it but it has a redirect to a full page scam ad saying, “Congratulations, blah blah blah…” and I went back to the article and couldn’t read a full sentence before being sent back to that ad again. I tried about 5 times before giving up and just closing the site. What a shame.

You might go straight to guitar.com and use their search function entering “Clarence White”. That article will pop up at the top of the list.

I posted the link from my phone and no telling what mischief that embeds itself on that path. It’s really a good article about Marty Stewart - and how he became the custodian of an amazing guitar.

Praxis

Tele-Meister
My #1 electric has a strat pickup in the neck (a Rose Victoria with A3 magnets), and a Cavalier Oildale in the bridge. This guitar easily out-strats my strat, and out-teles my other teles. It's my #1 for a reason!

zeke54

Tele-Afflicted
I did this with my Esquire back in the '70s , it was ok but I still used the bridge pup the most . This Esquire had been used a lot and abused a little ! By the late '70s I had it restored and removed the Strat pup . This Esquire sounds so good , it doesn't need a neck pup , never missed it . But try it and be the judge yourself , a lot of people like it, I'm just an Esquire guy !

Thin69

Friend of Leo's
I did it to an original 1969 Thinline after the neck pickup failed and I wound up putting a DiMarzio FS1 strat pu in the neck. That original Tele neck pu had always driven me nuts because the output was very low compared to the bridge. After installing the FS1 I had to lower it all the way as is a pretty high output pickup.

Installed the FS1 without the pickup cover and very carefully filed the top of the bobbin to be almost flush with the windings. The only mod done to the guitar was to elongate the pickup hole in the pickguard. Added pickup mount hole to the pickguard and mounted the pickup to the pickguard. Didn't have to touch mod the body as the pickup barely fit in.

I loved the very full low end and touch sensitivity when using this pickup. Was able to get matched loudness between the bridge and neck pickups which delighted me.

bruceb5

NEW MEMBER!
I couldn’t justify the cost of a Nashville Deluxe so I made one up and was very happy with the way it turned out, felt and played very smooth

Attachments

• 5D11B3FC-9762-4A83-8DB0-7DC599A8C687.jpeg
    5D11B3FC-9762-4A83-8DB0-7DC599A8C687.jpeg
    242.5 KB · Views: 12
  • F57DF7C2-B856-4196-AB8A-A31ECC4FEFD4.jpeg
    F57DF7C2-B856-4196-AB8A-A31ECC4FEFD4.jpeg
    301.8 KB · Views: 12
  • 16637A62-CCFE-4A2F-8556-1877D15163B8.jpeg
    16637A62-CCFE-4A2F-8556-1877D15163B8.jpeg
    235 KB · Views: 13

Johnnypops

TDPRI Member

I did that, if you take the cover off a strat pickup it fits perfectly into the neck position and for me is a perfect match made as neck is my fave strat pickup and I’m not a huge fan of tele neck pickup preference is middle position on tele.

Attachments

• 2F26E3A6-C74E-41BF-9177-4B1B300FB497.jpeg
    2F26E3A6-C74E-41BF-9177-4B1B300FB497.jpeg
    192.2 KB · Views: 9

Johnnypops

TDPRI Member
I had a Strat pick up in the neck position of my 71 Tele for a while. I could push it in the hole tightly without making the hole larger. I did have to file a little bit off the edges of the baseplate of the pick up. But not much. Sounded great.
No, that's an uncovered strat pickup, I have same in mine

BassMan10

NEW MEMBER!
I'm thinking of putting a Strat Single Coil Pickup in a Tele, neck position. I know I have to ream the hole out for it to fit, just wondering if anyone has done it? I love to try different things on guiI just took
I just took the cover off of a Strat pup and wiggled it up through the Tele hole then drilled holes for the screws. Later I reverted to Tele pup from Stew Mac.

guitartwonk

Tele-Holic
I have a Fender Jerry Donahue Tele 1992 with that and the 5 way its great, neck no tone , neck with tone , bridge and neck in parallel , bridge and neck with , cap / resistor network and bridge . Fender drawing on the net somewhere !
And the JD Tele has a strat pickup at neck of course. Funnily enough, I got hold of a JD Tele neck also from 92 I think, and bolted it to my Tele partscaster. This has quarter pounder at bridge (about 14 kOhm) and a nice powerful strat pickup at neck, a Yorkshire Jack (about 11kOhm), made by AxesRUs. Then I have a five way switch to give bridge only, b+n in parallel, b+n in series, b+n in series + resistor, then neck only. It also has a TBX in place of tone control, and a switch to engage a WDMusic Tone Choke, which has the effect of taking those overwound pickups and making them sound more like a traditional tele.

So, yes, a strat pickup works amazingly well in a Tele. For me, I found a Tele pick guard with strat pickup sized hole, also from AxesRUs.

I don’t know if you’ll need to rout a bigger cavity though as this already had a larger one from when it used to have a humbucker in a previous incarnation.
4A15F139-66EF-4629-8F9E-634A6F825150.jpeg

myfenderissues

Tele-Meister
I took the metal cover off one of my Tele neck pick ups and it cleaned up a lot. Looked fine and sounded good enough to keep it as is. You may get different results depending on your pickup. Tried a Strat pick up years later in the same guitar and it too sounded great.
The tele neck pickup is voiced for the metal cover, taking it off changes the tone. A strat pu coil is larger, wider, so that shifts the tone darker. Removing the metal cover from a tele neck doesn't make it sound like a strat pu in that location. The tele neck coil is taller and much narrower thaN a strat coil. Taking the metal cover off makes the pu too bright even though people claim metal covers in general only reduce output and not high end tone

Last edited: