Strat Pickup in Tele?

jackal

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
I put strat pickups in the neck position of all my teles. There are a lot of options as to pick guards out there and only a small amount of routing necessary. There are a lot of options for strat-sounding tele neck pickup, but I just seem to prefer the strat pickups.

jetagegreg

Tele-Meister
All my Teles have either a Strat pickup or an open cover on a Tele pickup. Duncan and Lollar make the latter, or if you are handy you can take the cover off yourself and replace with an open one. If you want a traditional cover, the Don Mare S-Telly is my go-to.

Bob Sushko

TDPRI Member
You might consider a DiMarzio Twang King neck pup, I have one in my Tele and it is a great Strat-sounding pup, no mods necessary, plops right in.
20221114_083003.jpg

Popov

TDPRI Member
Whilst I was respraying my Telecaster and had the beastie apart I routed a middle pocket for a Strat pickup, the neck already had a humbucker/Strat route from a previous modifying session, using a 5 way switch, it worked very well with SD Vintage units ..... for now it's set up as an Esquire but the pockets are still there should I choose to go back, which I might well do at some point.

FlatBlack.jpeg

RnB

Tele-Meister
Put one in a partscaster…
Lindy Fralin made a Vint Hot Strat pup for me to match a Don Mare Super Sport in the bridge position, so they’d be hum-cancelling.
Mounted it directly to the body - like a Tele pup usually would be installed. I prefer less screws in the pkgd.
Warmoth cut the pkgd for me after 3 failed attempts by WD….

AD3B8C61-6DFB-41CB-BB90-560CA33A583E.jpeg

Last edited:

myfenderissues

Tele-Meister
I'm thinking of putting a Strat Single Coil Pickup in a Tele, neck position. I know I have to ream the hole out for it to fit, just wondering if anyone has done it? I love to try different things on guitars...
Fender made a few models with that. I've done it and it sounds fine but I prefer the stock sounds. You do need to enlarge the route if it's not done for a large pu and the pickguard hole needs to get bigger so if you switch back need to buy a new pg. Actually the screw height adj. distance is different for the wider strat pu, so just buy a PG for that mod. You can find, them try ebay

Voodoo Drivein

TDPRI Member
A lot of Tele bodies are pre routed for humbuckers anyway so it's not that hard to switch. I really think it's the most versatile combo. I've got a rocket fire 69 strat pickup in one and a 64 duo sonic pickup in the other which is really magical.

Attachments

• DSCF3196.JPG
    DSCF3196.JPG
    223.8 KB · Views: 15

tegel

TDPRI Member
I have a '98 in red. I didn't care for the noiseless, so I swapped them out for a set of Lollars. N: Royal T, M: 64, B: Special T. I tried, just the Bridge at first, but it didn't play well with the other. I contacted Lollar, and they recommended the other two. Sounds great!

Attachments

• PXL_20220325_191925897~2-01.jpeg
    PXL_20220325_191925897~2-01.jpeg
    88.9 KB · Views: 14

guitfiddles

Tele-Meister
Strat pickup in middle position of the Nashville Deluxe style teles are standard issue.

Many players have gone down that road (strat pickup in tele neck position) and like it a lot. Here’s a fairly famous telecaster that was modified with a strat pickup in the neck back in the late 60’s - early 70’s (I don’t know the actual date, sometime before Clarence died, in any event.

View attachment 1050799

Thanks for the article. I genuinely would have liked to have read it but it has a redirect to a full page scam ad saying, “Congratulations, blah blah blah…” and I went back to the article and couldn’t read a full sentence before being sent back to that ad again. I tried about 5 times before giving up and just closing the site. What a shame.

Cedar Hill

TDPRI Member
McNelly Duckling is a Tele-neck-sized-Strat-wound replacement that does the job quite well. I’ve installed a couple of those with good results. It’s not as wide as a strat coil, but the difference is slight.

Sax-son

Friend of Leo's
I have a Strat pickup in the neck position of one of my Teles, and it sounds really nice. One of the easiest upgrades you can make in my opinion. A little bit of routing, but nothing too extreme. I am not that big on the Nashville setup, but others like it. If I wanted a Strat setup, I would play a Strat.

Tele Plucker

Tele-Meister
I'm thinking of putting a Strat Single Coil Pickup in a Tele, neck position. I know I have to ream the hole out for it to fit, just wondering if anyone has done it? I love to try different things on guitars...

It is not necessary to alter the pickup cavity to install a tele style pickup. I have done it with a Lollar Royal T which is built to fit the standard slot.

1668442554496.jpeg