Strat Pickup In Tele Bridge Position?

sonny wolf

Friend of Leo's
A typical vintage style Strat pickup is weaker than a Tele one....around 5.8K vs 7.5K so less output and density to the tone.A Tele bridge position pickup is throatier and denser in the mids and lows whereas a Strat one is thinner and brighter.

tomasz

Tele-Holic
You can definitely give it a try, routing should fit. My assumption on sound would be weaker, less punch, less midrange and bass, more sizzling highs..

Mur

Friend of Leo's
I think it'd sound like a Tele ..possibly.

Dave_O

Friend of Leo's
I'd think a Strat neck p.u. in Tele Neck Position and leave the Tele bridge as is or find something else (other than Strat p.u.) for your taste. Just my lame thoughts at this hour of the morning. :)
I believe that’s what Jerry Donahue runs. Can’t be bad then, eh...

bobk

Tele-Meister
It will sound like a Strat if you want it to

Attachments

• DD227BCE-2E0D-4119-83E7-EFAD32B6BEF9.jpeg
    DD227BCE-2E0D-4119-83E7-EFAD32B6BEF9.jpeg
    192.5 KB · Views: 36

raysachs

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
For my preferences, the hotter tele bridge pickup is the only reason for me to even own a tele, which I haven’t for a couple years now - I’m just not that much of a bridge pickup guy. Taking a strat bridge pickup, which isn’t worth much to my ears on its own (but it’s heaven paired with the strat middle) and replacing a perfectly good tele bridge pickup, would be a combination that would bring out the worst in everything. I’m sure it’s technically possible, but why? Putting a tele bridge pickup in a strat if you’re one of those people who likes three way switches and doesn’t like the strat 2 & 4 sound makes some sense to me. But the reverse, not so much…

-Ray

guitarbuilder

Telefied
Ad Free Member
. I did this guitar for a Tdpri guitar challenge back a while. I've also taken pickguard scraps and made a baseplate for strat pickup on a tele bridge, although the one shown below just used a pickguard baseplate and I wound it on that. They sound like a strat pickup.

monterey.jpg
strat on tele.jpg

Last edited:

jvin248

Doctor of Teleocity

Once you adjust for the
-Ergonomics (Tele players tend to pick between the bridge pickup and the saddles where Twang hangs out while Strat players pick between the middle and neck pickup positions for rounder tones)
-Lower kohm bobbin winding
-Often higher kohm volume pot (500k in many, though most have 250k)
-Often higher tone capacitor (Tele 0.047uF most often while Strat has 0.022uF)

It will sound like a Strat.

If you want the old Tele Twang and growl back you need to at least throw a steel plate behind the Strat pickup.

If you want a Tele to Sound like a Strat then put three pickups and a 5-way and pick closer to the neck... (this is a 2014 Triple Telecaster).

iu

Fenderdad1950

Friend of Leo's
Like a strat when played in the bridge position, with the number of windings, giving your guitar sound its color & character.

rand z

Friend of Leo's
Put a baseplate on it.

I have one that I put on a Strat bridge PU and it increased the power by a third, or so.

I believe that Stew/Mac sell's them for Strat PU's.

imo.

Billy3

Tele-Holic
Why bother? Two totally different guitars. A strat is a strat. A Tele is a telly. Let's leave it at that. I don't understand why people want one to sound like the the other. I love apples and oranges.