Strat pickup in neck ?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Ndavis1971, Jul 27, 2021.

1. Ndavis1971

Ndavis1971 TDPRI Member

I have a Tele that has great pickups. I play blues and classic rock. No jazz or anything. Is it worth changing the neck to a Strat pickup such as a Fender Twisted Tele or Mare? Do people who play this type of music use their neck much, and if so do they prefer a Strat over the Tele pickup? I almost always use the bridge but I find maybe adding a Strat pickup will make the neck a better fit for this type of music.

Budrocket1 and Arfage like this.
  2. Timbresmith1

Timbresmith1 Tele-Holic

I think Budz makes a tall coil that sounds more stratty.
    I may be wrong, but a strat neck pu seems a bit more dynamic with more clarity and string separation.

3. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Poster Extraordinaire

Yeah. It's a thing for some. I've been back and forth and think I prefer tele neck pickups. However, several makers offer tele pickups that provide a Strat-like tone. Uncovered designs seem to be most convincing.

You might look at:
    • Cavalier Lioness
    • Cavalier Fat Lioness
    • Wilde Keystone neck
    • OC Duff Big Boy
    • Cavalier Wolf
    • and the Budz tall neck mentioned above
    Some use an actual Strat pickup in the neck. But you will need a custom pick guard as it is larger than a tele neck pickup. Not sure if additional body routing is required. I don't think so, but don't quote me. Good luck in your search.

4. nickmsmith

nickmsmith Tele-Holic

Last edited: Jul 28, 2021
    Coffeemutt and Ndavis1971 like this.
  5. AJBaker

AJBaker Friend of Leo's

What have you got now? If it has a brass cover, try replacing it with nickel silver. The tele neck pickup can actually sound pretty good provided it hasn't got a brass cover.

Otherwise yes, a strat pickup will also sound fine.

moosie, Ndavis1971 and Timbresmith1 like this.
  6. Chipss36

Chipss36 Tele-Holic

Don makes the best tele neck pick up I have ever owned…

The neck give my strat a run for it’s money!

moosie and Ndavis1971 like this.
  7. voskarp

voskarp Tele-Holic

I do like, and once had a Strat pickup in the neck of my Tele, then I assembled a Strat and put the pickup where it belonged.

If you want the stratty sound, just remove the cover on the Tele neck pickup. It will sound similar, and it’s easier/cheaper.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2021
    Ndavis1971 likes this.
  8. blue metalflake

blue metalflake Doctor of Teleocity

+1

Ndavis1971 likes this.
  9. jamesepowell

jamesepowell Tele-Holic

Youtube legend Hoodrio says put a strat neck pickup in your tele. It is worth a listen.

I was not convinced, but I didn't rule it out either. I have a Strat and I'm pretty happy with how all three of my Telecasters sound. I probably need to get a fourth one and try it out.

SuprHtr, moosie and Ndavis1971 like this.
  10. UPtele

UPtele Tele-Meister Gold Supporter

If you want to go with a tele sized in the neck a DiMarzio twang king and Bootstrap extra crispy might work. I have both and I couldn't tell you which one I like best but they are both pretty stratty

BB and Ndavis1971 like this.
  11. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Doctor of Teleocity

Take the brass cover off your tele pickup first. Or, go to a nickel cover. The Cavalier suggestion above is a good one.

AKBluesDude and Ndavis1971 like this.
  12. Wrighty

Wrighty Friend of Leo's

Confused! 1) ‘has great pickups’. So, why change?
    2) ‘changing the neck to a Strat pickup, such as a Fender Twisted Tele………?’ Er, that’s a Tele pickup?

13. jvin248

jvin248 Doctor of Teleocity

If you remove the Strat pickup cover you can fit it in a regular Tele pickguard. You just want to be careful during install and then no problems.

I'd suggest sticking with a Stagger-patterned pole piece Strat pickup. That particular stagger has been used on so many songs over the decades that it sounds more 'right' even though the signal strength is different than 'proper' equi-distant or flat across mid-scooped pickups might seem to be.

If you lower the Tele neck pickup, play with bass/treble tip, and use a series cap (0.047uF on the pickup hot lead), you may approximate the Strat neck pickup tones. Tele covers and the bobbin winding tend to increase pickup capacitance and make them darker than Strat pickups, so adjusting the pickup height and using a series cap both alter that output so it is more 'stratty'.

Overall, I'd rather first install a 4-way switch to get series humbucking tones while you are poking around the insides of a Tele anyway.

Ndavis1971 likes this.
  14. jackal

jackal Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

Almost all of my Teles have Strat pickups in the neck position. It just sounds right to me for a Duane Eddy type of twang. That being said, there are some fantastic Tele neck pickups out there----Don Mare Stelly, Lollar Royal T, Twang King, Twisted Tele to name just a few.

Ndavis1971 and nickmsmith like this.
  15. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Like @Wrighty posed.....I'm confused. I was gonna say you answered your own question in your first sentence......"I have a Tele that has great pickups."
    Thank you for listening. ;)

16. nickmsmith

nickmsmith Tele-Holic

I keep at least one Tele with traditional neck pickup, and at least one with a clear one. All bases covered, I don’t miss out on anything this way!

the guitar in my avatar has the Artec open neck pickup now. My second favorite is the Tex mex. little clear, little warm, and 3rd place would be the totally traditional Tele pickups I have. Variety is nice.

nojazzhere and Ndavis1971 like this.
  17. Ndavis1971

Ndavis1971 TDPRI Member

I should say Strat like pickup in the neck like the twisted Tele. Although I’m open to a Strat pickup. Sure mine is nice but I’d like to see how tonally the Strat sounding one might add something to blues or rock or if folks have a particular preference for the strat one

nojazzhere likes this.
  18. nickmsmith

nickmsmith Tele-Holic

It adds a whole different dimension to the sound. You can turn down your tone knob and get very close to a covered pickup sound, but it’s hard to get the Strat sound from a traditional Tele neck pickup.
    Your neck pickup will sound essentially like a hardtail strat’s pickup.

Teles were designed to have very different sounds in neck and bridge. This evens them out, makes them more alike. if that’s what you’re looking for.

Ndavis1971 likes this.
  19. misterdontmove

misterdontmove Tele-Meister

The CS 51' Nocaster neck pickup sounds incredible IMHO. I think it's got a nickel/silver cover.

20. timbgtr

timbgtr Tele-Meister

A GFS Fatbody is a cheap option. Subject to the limits of my fingers, it does a pretty fair “Wind Cries Mary” neck Strat tone on my ash MIM Tele.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.