Strat neck pickup blender ...

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Rob DiStefano, May 22, 2008.

1. Rob DiStefano

Rob DiStefano Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

I've always used 1meg audio pots for Strat neck pup blenders, fully knowing that some small amount of the neck pup signal will always be presented to the output jack.

However, now I'm using a 250ka no-load pot for the blender and I find it just works out better. You get a positive "off" switch that won't bleed the neck pup signal, and the blended neck pup signal starts off with a usable amount of signal that sweeps right to full strength.

2. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Thanks for the tip, Rob.

I had had in mind an audio taper 250 K CTS split shaft; I'll try the no load instead.

Much obliged,

3. Rob DiStefano

A 250k will constantly bleed off too much neck pup signal, which is why 500k or 1meg is much better ... but the no-load is actually best because you get the benefit of a switch and a more usable pot taper.

4. Cassady

Cassady Tele-Afflicted

Thanks, Rob, I'll give this a try in my Strat. I'm currently using a 1 Meg. pot, but have been considering a bit of rewiring...

Cassady

5. mellecaster

mellecaster Former Member

I guess I just never knew any better, but I've always used the 250K Blender on the Strat set-up (ala Fralin & others).

6. jocher126

jocher126 TDPRI Member

Can you tell me where to get these no-load blender pots? I am also looking for a dual-concentric no load pot that can be used for tone/blender. Any help with that one?

7. Rob DiStefano

I get my CTS pots from allparts.com - note that a no-load pot is not specifically intended as a blender pot, it just happens to work extremely well for that application.

8. udimet720

udimet720 Tele-Holic

Can you guys explain the workings of this blender and maybe a circuit diagram? Thanks!

9. Rob DiStefano

master volume

master no-load tone - full clockwise the pot is out of the circuit and you get the full tone of yer pickups, turned counter-clockwise the tone pot engages for a full sweep of treble killing.

neck pup no-load blender - full clockwise the pot is out of the circuit and the neck pup is completely off, turned counter-clockwise the neck pup signal goes directly to the output jack, this allows for the bridge and neck pups to fire at the same time for that nice "Tele tone".

[​IMG]

10. Georgiahunt

Georgiahunt TDPRI Member

I ordered mine from Acme Guitar Works, part No: 099-0832-000 for the master tone and the neck blender. And part No.: 450S2178-A for the master volume.

11. udimet720

udimet720 Tele-Holic

Cool. Thanks! :D

12. RatherBeFishing

RatherBeFishing Tele-Afflicted

Hello

So this mod uses a regular 250k audio pot and NOT a "Blender" pot? Will a DIY no load pot work just fine? Like this

Thanks

13. Rob DiStefano

Any way ya slice it, the modded blender schematic I've posted requires a no-load 250 pot. DIY NL works great.

14. RatherBeFishing

Sounds great! Thanks :)

15. RatherBeFishing

Hmm
    Would it be possible to get Neck/Bridge out of phase in series with a push pull added to this?
    Thanks

16. Deaf Eddie

Deaf Eddie Friend of Leo's

It works...

If you are lifting the bridge's leads for this mod (which I suggest, as it puts the new tone at the bridge-end of the 5-way where, IMHO, it belongs) and have the series connection made at the neck pup's lug on the 5-way, it will work.

Just remember that with the series/out of phase combo playing, as you blend the neck pup into the tone, technically it will not adding the neck pup, it will actually just be shunting out the bridge pup... So, it will blend from bridge-series/out-of-phase-with-neck to just plain ol' neck pup, at both ends of the 5-way. Not sure what kind of a taper you will achieve between the two tones, but ELECTRONICALLY, it works.

It will probably respond something like the spin-a-split coil-shunting scheme, which is basically the same idea - a variable path to hot (instead of ground) for the neck coil, from the series junction with the bridge coil. The twist is that in this case, the bridge coil is playing out of phase.

17. udimet720

udimet720 Tele-Holic

Hey Rob,

Just wanted to say that I did this mod to the strat I have. It's an 80's copy called a Mako. The sound was nice before. But, this really added a lot to the guitar. Being able to blend the neck in really makes for a nice range of tones. Putting the switch in the #4 position (neck + bridge) and then dialing up the blender also added a different sound.

Thanks for posting this and the N/L modificaiton thread. Really easy to do. The only problem is that I did that one backwards. Oppss...:oops: So, I have to turn it to 0 to add the neck. Anyway... thanks again!

Now I'm trying to figure out if there's a good way to work this on my tele so that I can adjust the blend.

18. RatherBeFishing

This one is worth reviving.

Rob's no- load blender wiring is awesome. It is simple, clean, effective and it has changed the Stratocaster for me.

My favorite combination so far is a CS 69 neck with a Robert Cray Bridge pickup. I've found that using a tonally contrasting neck and bridge pickup gets more interesting results. The CS 69 has a warm lows and scooped mids while the RC is heavy on the mids.

I thought that I should sing some praise after wiring up 3 strats with this.

19. caliban335

caliban335 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I'm waiting to take delivery on a no-load blender pot from Callaham. Here's what the web site says:

I'm anxious to try it out. I'll gladly trade a second tone control for two new pickup selections.

20. Rob DiStefano

make yer own no-load pot ... start off with a CTS pot and ...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.