1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Strat Neck on Tele

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Skip Ellis, Sep 13, 2012.

1. Skip Ellis

Skip Ellis Tele-Meister

I want to put a Strat neck on a Tele without a pickguard. I plan on reshaping the neck pocket to accept the Strat neck but was wondering what the radius of the end of the neck pocket is supposed to be or would I be safer just making a routing jig based on the neck when I get it.
    Thanks!!!

2. twick

twick Tele-Meister

I would recommend making a jig out of the new neck. Make sure you measure the length so the bridge placement won't be off.

3. originalmatthew

originalmatthew Tele-Holic

Make a jig based on the neck when you have it in hand..be careful not to alter the scale length too much when you rout tho. Why no pickguard? Easiest cure ever. Bolt on the neck, cut a new guard to cover the heel area...done. :)

4. Rob DiStefano

Rob DiStefano Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

a strat neck heel fits into a tele body neck pocket.

word up - if you "adjust" the neck pocket to fit the strat neck heel - that is, move back the pocket's rear wall in order to round it off to fit the strat's neck heel - you will screw up the neck-to-bridge location. don't do this. either live with the body/neck side gap or make a custom pickguard to cover it up.

5. guitar2005

guitar2005 Tele-Holic

just get a proper neck with the headstock shape you like.

6. frankthomson

frankthomson Tele-Afflicted

this.

7. Bentley

Bentley Friend of Leo's

8. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Telefied Ad Free Member

If you wanted to attempt this, the bottom center of the neck pocket ( assuming it is the standard 3" long)would have to move back towards the bridge about .090" and your saddles would then have to move back a similar amount to compensate for that movement assuming you are intonated right now. Also the distance from fret 21 to the end of the neck may not be the same on both necks. If you are dealing with a cheap body, then what the heck. Just remember if you decide to go back to a tele neck, you'll have a gap again. Also your pickguard will need to be adjusted as well and that will also show a gap if you decide to go back.

To answer your question, the Fender spec radius is 5" and then that blends into a .25 radius on each side. Not all necks are exactly the same though.

Given all that, I'd reconsider if it is a really high quality body or a vintage piece. If not... that's how you learn to work on guitars.

You can always build a new body for that neck too which may be the best option. I did a Cabronita style body with a strat neck and trem for the 2010 challenge.
    http://www.tdpri.com/forum/2010-tdp...llenge-tidycatster-ii-aka-mysteriocaster.html

9. e-merlin

e-merlin Doctor of Teleocity

Or use a 22-fret neck. The overhang will cover up the gaps.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. frankthomson

frankthomson Tele-Afflicted

[​IMG]

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.