1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Strat middle pickup not responding

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Jakester93, Jul 24, 2010.

1. Jakester93

Jakester93 Tele-Meister

My friend, who doesn't really play guitar much, let me borrow his 1993 MIM strat that his uncle gave him. I've been trying to fix it up, and what has stumped me is the middle pickup. It just doesn't work. In positions 2, 3, and 4, the middle pickup produces no sound. I unscrewed the pick guard and looked for loose connections and things like that, but everything seems in place. There is buzzing, as if something isn't grounded correctly, but I can't see where.

Is there something I should check? Something simple I'm missing? I'm not very familiar with strats, so I don't know what to really look for.

2. benbo

benbo Tele-Afflicted

Take the pickgaurd off and find the 2 wires coming off the middle pickup, take an Ohm meter and put one lead on the black wire and the other on the white, or yellow depending on what kid of pickups it has. Set your Ohm meter to the 20K setting and check to see if you get a reading or open, mine reads OL when the coil is open or broken

3. KenH

KenH Tele-Holic

Also, the switch contacts could be oxidized from sitting idle. Some contact cleaner in the switch might help. Spray it and work the switch through all positions several times.

4. Del Pickup

Del Pickup Poster Extraordinaire

Could also be a dry solder joint. I had the same problem with my Clapton strat not long after I got it. Resoldered one joint and the problem was solved.

5. Jakester93

Jakester93 Tele-Meister

Thanks guys! I did what benbo suggested and got no reading on the middle pickup. The other two pickups were about 6.67. So does this mean the pickup is no good? Or should I try what you other guys suggested?

6. mijstrat72

mijstrat72 Tele-Afflicted

May as well try to resolder it. Can't hurt since it's all right there. If it still doesn't work, let your friend know it's time for an upgrade.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.