1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Strat-ish Suggestion?

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by IowaCorn, Jun 16, 2016.

1. IowaCorn

IowaCorn Tele-Meister

can anyone recommend a great strat sounding neck pickup that sounds great in a tele?

2. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

Not sure about strat pu in tele, but, the SD antiquity tele neck was pretty
    close to a righteous strat neck.

imho

3. Fatschlamp

Fatschlamp Tele-Meister

The twisted tele, which comes with the AM standard is pretty strat-y. Jimi sounds great on it.

4. funkysoul

funkysoul Tele-Meister

Bill lawrence open coils pickup does this work

songtalk likes this.
  5. songtalk

songtalk Friend of Leo's

Yeah, wilde (Bill Lawrence's last designs) alnico microcoils and, keystones or a strat pickup wound by Rob at Cavalier/his uncovered lion king tele neck pickup. Lollar royal T. Fralin Blues. Harmonic Design mini strat. Fender twisted tele.

A strat pickup will surely do the trick but on the tele bobbin, there are some nice options out there now.

awasson likes this.
  6. Antigua Tele

Antigua Tele Friend of Leo's

Demand that it be wound in 42 AWG at the very least. Strat necks are 42 AWG, and anyone who says it doesn't matter doesn't understand what is really going on. That eliminates nearly everything except the Lollar Royal T and the Fender Twisted Tele. The Lollars have open topped shielded covers, so they would which is closer to a Strat's unshielded neck pickup, the Fender will retain a stock appearance, so that would be my preference. I've observed that Fender's nickel silver covers are very good with respect to minimizing treble losses (cheap brass shielding = eddy currents = lower Q = loss of treble).

7. songtalk

songtalk Friend of Leo's

I actually prefer 43 or even thinner even for strat pickups. I understand 42 is correct, but I just prefer the way 43 sparkles. That being said, 42 is fine and certainly authentic. I think microcoils have like 46 gauge and they sound strattier than my actual strat.

8. Antigua Tele

Technically what happens with 43 or greater AWG is the series resistance increases and the Q lowers. You might prefer a lower Q, many people do, but a big part of the Stratocaster sound is a particular Q at a particular frequency.

IMO the biggest problem with Tele neck pickups is not the 43 AWG, it's the shielded cover, which causes substantial eddy current losses, beyond what the 43 AWG imparts. The Keystones get a lot of praise, they have no cover, though in all likelihood they use 43 AWG.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2016
    songtalk likes this.
  9. Bergerkes

Bergerkes NEW MEMBER!

I have a Bare Knuckle flat 52 neck in my rosewood neck tele. It really does those stratty Hendrix/Johnson/Mayer things. Low output, 5k, 42 AWG and alnico 5. Really nice pup!

10. songtalk

songtalk Friend of Leo's

They use 44! Microcoils use 46!

11. MDent77

MDent77 Tele-Afflicted

I was searching for a bright strat-ish sounding neck pickup for my tele. I found one called the Big-T.
    I like it a lot!

Here is a rough sample I recorded after I installed it in my tele.

12. Tommy Gereg

Tommy Gereg Tele-Meister

This is the best you'll find. Full cover and reasonably priced.

13. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

I vote for an actual Strat pickup, vintage style under 6k.

14. Derek Kiernan

Derek Kiernan Friend of Leo's

The Alnico microcoils have a lower inductance, and not an exceptionally high effective resistance. Getting rid of the coil mass means less eddy currents and a lower inductance means less impedance to act against when the resonance does form in the highend, obviously in a higher frequency range. Having a lower Q does not give them less in the region, just prevents a narrowband resonance and lets the tone control affect a much wider range of frequencies in the top half of the taper without ever getting muddy.

songtalk likes this.
  15. GCKelloch

GCKelloch Tele-Afflicted

A high Q-factor only makes the pickup more focused in a particular range. There’s really no benefit when there are pickups like low Q Microcoils. Like with any pickup, use the correct capacitance load for the resonance you want. You can adjust the pole screws to increase the relative upper-harmonic strength for a more straty sound. The AlNiCo MC’s are more straty as is, and the small coil makes height adjustment more effective at balancing the string harmonics than with a typical large coil pickup. The Q factor does make a minor difference in the resonance character and high end extension. It really not a big deal, and you’ll probably appreciate the sweet extended highs and stronger fundamentals. One thing to consider between the two Microcoil types is whether the AlNiCo’s have a mid dip. Some like that in a Strat pickup. I never heard mention of it, so I’d assume not. Aluminum shielding under the pickguard can create that affect, if desired.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2016
  16. Antigua Tele

I'm curious to know, how would adjusting the screws change the harmonic proportions?

17. GCKelloch

GCKelloch Tele-Afflicted

I honestly don't know if it's just that it moves the coil away while retaining the magnetic strength, or if changing the field throw also reduces the aperture window, but very small screw height changes make a significant difference.

18. Antigua Tele

How do you know this to be true if you're not certain as to the physical functions?

19. GCKelloch

GCKelloch Tele-Afflicted

Dude, I know it's true because I've adjusted the screws, and compared the results listening to DI recordings. It's obvious what is happening. What would you think might be happening?

If you consider that the field fluxing through the coil is weaker further away, and that the total windings the strongest part of the field flux through deliver the strongest signal, you can deduce that the strongest part of the field doesn't reach as many windings for weaker vibrations. If the total coil is also smaller and all up as close as possible to the string, the potential for more variance in lower to upper harmonic balance is higher. To me, the low E & G, and high E on the bridge MC are at the point of almost sounding either dull or hollow with the screw all the way down with the pickup height at 2~3mm. For me, the maximum fundamental strength of the pickup set is achieved. Every other string and position only require the pole screws to be raised. The A and D sound thinner raise up, but it sounds better than if the were down low. The heights can be set so that the strings sound successively brighter and very nearly equal volume from bottom to top. It's inspiring, and I think Bill purposely configured it that way. His deep understanding of magnetism & metallurgy, as well as electronics & the applicable physics, enabled him to wrangle everything in consort for maximum versatility and efficiency.

20. GroverRover

GroverRover Tele-Meister

I run keystones in one guitar, to me they are the best sounding tele sized neck pup out there. They can be very strat like if that's what you're after. (I run a strat size wilde L45S in my other, but it doesn't really sound like a strat pup)

Of course you can route the cavity, order a new pickguard and just install a strat pup. Can't get any more stratty than that - unless you buy a strat. If you miss the chrome neck pup, put it back along with the stock pickguard and no one is any wiser.

The teles that i have heard with a quality strat pup in the neck position all sounded really good as far as I'm concerned. It will never sound 100% strat though... the guitars themselves are too different.

Some people just have to have the chrome cover on a tele neck. I personally don't care if it has the cover.

songtalk likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.