Strat into a Allen Accomplice, Searching Fender Magic 6 Tone

Platefire

Friend of Leo's
I've decided to experiment with this with my strats and Allen Accomplice that is pretty much a DeLuxe Reverb with extras. Except I'm running 6L6GC's instead of 6V6's so it would maybe be more like a Pro Reverb.

I know this is probably an old wore out subject but I would like to hear some feedback from those who are using it or tried it.

My experience so far is it just seems unbearably bright to my taste. Using it by the book Vol=6, Treb=6, Mid=3, Bass 2(3x2=6)
Bright on and Reverb 2.5, the only way I can make it half way bearable is roll my bridge and neck pu's tone back. I am after a classic Fender tone. All my strats are s/s/s with pretty much standard set up except I have switched the mid pu tone to the bridge pu. So I aught to be in the ball park regarding equipment. Maybe I can get use to the brightness if I force myself to live with it a while. Any Bright Wisdom here:)Platefire

tfarny

Poster Extraordinaire
Well, I don't think the Allen amps are really exact copies of Fender amps, more like "based on" - why not move the pots around till you find what you like. I have the same basic amp - mine is the Accomplice Jr with 6l6s so it's the same basic circuit. I have a Weber 12? with a big ceramic magnet, I forget the model number, but it produces a nice clear, tight bass easily at gig volumes.
Volume 6 is way too hot for my tastes and the EQs are usually all around noon, sometimes I turn the bass down a bit. I like volume 2 or 3, Raw 2 to 4 depending on what I'm going for, and master as needed. It's also fun to crank the master and Raw controls and just use the main volume and guitar controls. I generally like to set my guitars at tone 7 or 8 before I mess with amp settings, then you preserve the flexibility to get more treble out of the guitar as needed.

Platefire

Friend of Leo's
Yes I've been following my own ear on tone controls for a long time and truly end up with sort of a darker Fender tone, left to my own devices. Even playing Gibson types a lot these days. But classic fender tone is all over the old classic recordings. So if that is a magic setting or setting in that neighborhood, I will attempt to find it. I will start with the exact setting and deviate as required from there. I just wondered if anyone is actually using it? One thing I have noticed is even though bright, the amp seems to have a little extra drive and responsiveness even at low volumes set that way. Platefire

tfarny

Poster Extraordinaire
Yes I've been following my own ear on tone controls for a long time and truly end up with sort of a darker Fender tone, left to my own devices. Even playing Gibson types a lot these days. But classic fender tone is all over the old classic recordings. So if that is a magic setting or setting in that neighborhood, I will attempt to find it. I will start with the exact setting and deviate as required from there. I just wondered if anyone is actually using it? One thing I have noticed is even though bright, the amp seems to have a little extra drive and responsiveness even at low volumes set that way. Platefire
I used something like that when I had an actual Super, but with the Allen I haven't tried to make it sound like anything other than itself.

Platefire

Friend of Leo's
I did try the magic 6 out this weekend in my Praise Band at Church morning and night services. Things went very well Sunday Morning as I was on top of my game. Not so good Sunday night as I wasn't doing as well.
Playing this bright makes everything stick out like a sore thumb, so you need to get it right and maybe change your style around to fit the sound. I will hang with it a little longer before I start dialing in more bass and mids. I have 6 strat types and I'm usiing the one with the more classic winds. Fender Alnico V around 5.9 Ohms as I recall. I even got a couple of teles I need to try, in good time. Platefire

Platefire

Friend of Leo's
To be clear, I took tfarny's advice and added a lot more middle and bass than the Magic 6 setting specified, also with the bright switch off. I thought I would try it but it's way to bright for me. Platefire