1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Strat hard tail install

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by jayroc1, Nov 21, 2020 at 9:24 AM.

1. jayroc1

jayroc1 Tele-Meister

I've got a Strat body that's been routed for a trem but hasn't had a bridge installed and I'm wanting to install a hardtail. Since there's no pre drilled holes but a trem route the hardtail bridge isn't wide enough to cover the open hole. Can I just fill the sides in with wood filler before painting? The mounting screws will sit just behind the trem route

Cheers

2. reddy2300

reddy2300 Tele-Meister

[​IMG]

You need something like this. Sand it to fit and then wood glue it in. After that, the filler can be used to fill the smaller voids.

3. Lucius Paisley

Lucius Paisley Tele-Meister

I put a hardtail on an Ibanez GIO, just put it right over the route. It was fine.

4. pedro58

pedro58 Tele-Meister

Why not use a standard trem bridge and block it?

Danb541, thunderbyrd, uriah1 and 2 others like this.
  5. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

The wood block shown above is the best way to accomplish what you are after, it will give the hardtail bridge screws something to bite into and really secure it. It would be hard to get it looking right with wood filler, at least in my experience using wood fillers.
    You can use a blocked standard trem of course. They sound different to a real hardtail, and they are heavier and can be more expensive, though.

SheldonP and Jay Jernigan like this.
  6. Zepfan

Zepfan Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

All you have to do is deck the trem. Block it if feel it's necessary.

If you use a hardtail bridge, then you'll have to remove the trem, trem claw, establish a new ground, sand the wood for paint ect..ect.ect

thunderbyrd and SRHmusic like this.
  7. Peegoo

Peegoo Poster Extraordinaire

Another option is to install a Tele bridge, or something like this:

[​IMG]

8. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

A good MIM trem bridge assy is only $25 new. I would just install that and block the trem.

9. Jay Jernigan

Jay Jernigan Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Reddy2300 has the answer that you are looking for. I would carefully consider whether or not I would ever want to convert it to a vibrato system before using glue. Three or four properly angled screws should secure the block.

10. jayroc1

jayroc1 Tele-Meister

Looks like its sold out on the website. I'll commission someone here if that can make me one

Cheers

Last edited: Nov 21, 2020 at 9:23 PM
  11. reddy2300

reddy2300 Tele-Meister

You could probably just source a nice small piece of hardwood and cut/sand it to size by hand.

it’d be a bit of work but I’ll bet you could get a nicer fit doing it that way.

12. aging_rocker

aging_rocker Tele-Afflicted

What could possibly go wrong?
    [​IMG]

13. That Cal Webway

That Cal Webway Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Hipshot made that wood trem/bridge block.

Send them an email to see if they still make it.

14. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Friend of Leo's

Don't make this more difficult than it needs to be; there is no good reason. Just put a regular vibrato on, set it up to act as a hardtail, and go to bed happy. If you can actually hear a difference in a blind experiment, then you should get a job in audio forensics, or become a Sonar Tech on submarines, not waste your magical God-given ability by being an electric guitar player.

Another option is to just sell that body and buy a hardtail one. You can often get them off the shelf from Guitar Mill for under $200. I got my ash hardtail Strat body there for something like $140, already made. The time and energy you spend jury rigging some [again, unnecessary] solution for the body you have is worth $200, IMO. Plus, if you sold the body you already have, you might be spending under $100 for that new body in the end.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2020 at 11:33 PM
    Danb541 and SRHmusic like this.
  15. 1 21 gigawatts

1 21 gigawatts Tele-Meister

This is one of those cases where "You can't get there from here". Even if you can get a plug that fits well, it is never going to look good. If you are completely set on a hardtail, you'd be better off getting a new body; especially considering your current one is unfinished.

16. Scotty2Hottie

Scotty2Hottie TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

Another vote for deck/block the vibrato. If you fill in the vibrato route you will have to drill holes for ferrules to pass strings thru. Also if the body has been finished and you wist to use wood block to fill in the routed section you will have to strip the finish inside the cavity for wood glue to work,I would think

Last edited: Nov 23, 2020 at 12:55 PM
    That Cal Webway likes this.
  17. gregulator450

gregulator450 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I think I saw a thread on here a year or two ago in which someone made a block to fit a trem rout, and then drilled string through holes and installed ferrules in it. I am having a hard time finding the thread. The process looked pretty straightforward...

18. Zepfan

Zepfan Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

It's hard for me to imagine a Strat without a tremolo. I know Fender and Squier make Hardtail Strats as well as other companies.

The whole process of converting one to the other is just work that's un-necessary. A decked trem without the arm doesn't go anywhere and is easily changed back. I guess some people can't get past the trem bridge with an arm hole in it/OCD.

19. popthree

popthree Poster Extraordinaire

I have decked a couple of strat trems by adding springs and dialing up the tension. That works fine but I always thought I could hear the springs rattling. Maybe I should have used a wooden block and pulled the springs?

20. That Cal Webway

That Cal Webway Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I deck and block.

I do radical single and multi-string bends galore

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.