Strat for Someone not into Strats

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Big Twang Theory, Aug 3, 2021.

1. Big Twang Theory

Big Twang Theory Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

20210803_192349.jpg So I'm not a "strat guy." Never could gel with them. I mean I LOVE the sound of them when other folks play them. But they just never did sound right in my hands. Ironically the first guitar that I bought was a strat. But I grew into a tele player. Or more accurately, I found "my voice" on the telecaster. But a few years ago I wanted to try a strat again, so I got a strat similar to my first. Early 90's MIJ '57 strat. After countless pickup changes I realized I just don't gel with strat pickups. I absolutely love how the guitar itself feels and plays. So I've been having fun trying different "unorthodox" pickup combinations. Something just for fun as a change of pace guitar for a different sound. And here is my new iteration. Put in high sensitivity filtertrons with a new pickguard. So far I'm loving it! Anyone else out there that didn't gel with a certain model of guitar until you went outside the box?

Zepfan, FortyEight, Lockback and 27 others like this.
  2. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I heartily approve!

3. Blackmore Fan

Blackmore Fan Tele-Afflicted

Van Halen's guitarist seemed to do okay with a Strat that didn't have traditional single coil pickups....I suppose it could work.

4. gitold

gitold Poster Extraordinaire

All though I love Fender Strats this is my favorite Strat style guitar. Six on a side locking tuners, 1 tone control for all pickups. 12 inch radius, and goofy offset shape. What’s not to love? 13AD8334-887E-431A-BEE5-D9F656C58006.jpeg

5. k tone

k tone Tele-Afflicted

All my Strats are fat.

6. Big Twang Theory

Big Twang Theory Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Niiiiiice!

RobRiggs likes this.
  7. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Friend of Leo's

I don’t see the problem. Looks pretty good to me. I bet those pickups light up that Strat

8. Mike Simpson

Mike Simpson Doctor of Teleocity

Looks like a Strabronita…. Or a Stratonita…

Zepfan, motes19, RobRiggs and 2 others like this.
  9. drmordo

drmordo Tele-Afflicted

For me, the Clapton wiring/booster finally made a Strat 'feel' right in my hands. I just bought a Jeff Beck sig model (it gets here tomorrow), and I expect that I will be putting the Clapton wiring into it fairly soon.

10. hopdybob

hopdybob Tele-Afflicted

when you love cars, they mostly have 4 wheels, so to with a strat.
    it has its formfactor but then Leo did good, you can tweak it all the way :lol::D:lol::D

11. chezdeluxe

chezdeluxe Poster Extraordinaire

To my ears Strats only sound their best at stage volumes.

They need to be cranked.

12. TG

TG Doctor of Teleocity

In a full band situation I fully agree. Used in a band just plugged in and clean the way I'm able to use a Les Paul or Telecaster I find strats just sound thin and like a toy. They seem to need quite a bit of drive and/or effects to cut it in a band.
    In my wedding band days I tried to use a strat several times and could never get them to suit me.

But my last 'band' was a very low volume arrangement with me, a bass player and a female singer. We did low volume coffee house type gigs and I used a strat (actually a Vintage V6 with lipstick pickups) into a Roland Cube60 clean channel. No pick, just fingers. The simple, clear and almost 'pretty' tones worked really well.

13. Bill

Bill Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I went through this starting in the 1980s. Tried my friend's 79 and didn't like it--sounded thin to me even after he had the pickups rewound. Got a Fender Strat Elite (the one with the push buttons and active EMG pickups) because it sounded like a Gibson. Too clinically clean. Sold it and tried some other stuff that I sold, including a Custom Shop one with Texas Special pickups I couldn't get along with.

But when I found a 1956 Strat, I suddenly realized, "Oh, that's the Strat sound I like." Years later I found a 1963 Strat that worked too.

But lest you think it's only in the vintage stuff that I found that sound, I also bought a hardtail Bullet Strat for $70 new that does it for me almost as well.

So even within the recognized classic Strat sound, some work and some don't. Glad you found something that worked for you.

14. mkdaws32

mkdaws32 Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I used to only play HH or HSS Strats - now all single coils (hot, mind you). Your Strat is still Strat in my book. The one in my avatar started life as an HH. It has a 12" radius and is the most comfortable guitar I have ever played.

Big Twang Theory likes this.
  15. OmegaWoods

OmegaWoods Tele-Holic

I have an old Squier Strat that I put some TV trons in. I love it! It's not my number 1 Strat but it's a lot of fun to play.

16. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Poster Extraordinaire

While I've got a couple of SSS Strat-oids too, the three of mine are HH or HHH.

hbstratsoids.png

17. artdecade

artdecade Poster Extraordinaire

[​IMG]

RobRiggs likes this.
  18. Dan German

Dan German Doctor of Teleocity

Yesss… very nice!

Noooo… no no no no no no no…

19. JL_LI

JL_LI Poster Extraordinaire

I like what you like. There are so many combinations and permutations of Stratocaster configurations available either as originally purchased or modified that it’s almost impossible not to be able to find the one, or eight, for you. I have two that are different as night and day. My CS ‘69 twangs. My American Standard, now with an Ultimate Luxe loaded pickguard has chime. I think I could get on with FilterTrons very nicely. Strats just work for me.

RobRiggs, Big Twang Theory and Ronzo like this.
  20. alex1fly

alex1fly Tele-Meister

Blocking the tremolo and using P90s and/or humbuckers is what got me to enjoy my Strat. But 20 years of screwing around with the thing encouraged me to sell it. No looking back!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.