1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Strat Fear!

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by BritTwang, Mar 28, 2013.

1. Cooper Black

Cooper Black Tele-Afflicted

That was me. I never thought I'd own a "signature" anything, but one night I found online a shopworn sunburst MIM Robert Cray Stratocaster for $650 delivered. I did not blink and have had zero regrets about this guitar.

2. BritTwang

BritTwang Tele-Holic

@vibrasonic

Thanks I will. I have a healthy budget available.

@AirbagTester

Interesting thanks for the detailed reply. When I get the Strat, I'll start decked and see how things develop :D

@RevMike

I like locking tuners on all my guitars so if they aren't already on it, I'll fit some.

@CooperBlack

I've read great things about the Robert Cray guitar, but haven't had the pleasure of trying one out.

3. BritTwang

BritTwang Tele-Holic

Amazing feedback thanks guys, I really am feeling more confident about the whole affair. It's gonna be a few months before I finally make the purchase but I'm definitely in a more positive frame of mind :)

I'm not going to be a heavy user of the trem. I guess Gilmour is my greatest influence and he is more of a warbler than someone that goes all out with dive bombs and such. The odd wiggle now and then will suffice, initially at least :lol:

4. Zillinois

Zillinois Friend of Leo's

Once you have a strat setup properly most of those "fears" will go away.
    On my favorite strat, I have the "American Standard" 2-point vibrato set up to float. It doesn't really go out of tune (Thanks to my buddy at my local store), except when you really wrench on it Van Halen style. I also use locking tuners, though I'm not sure how much that helps. I've also used the LSR not in the past as well, but it tends to change the way the strings resonate and sort of changes the overall sound IMO. However, if its good enough for Jeff Beck, I'm sure its good enough for the rest of us. :)

5. AJBaker

AJBaker Friend of Leo's

Install a trem stabilizer and almost ask of a strat's trem problems go away.

6. BritTwang

BritTwang Tele-Holic

Does the backplate fit with one of those installed?

7. dhuber

dhuber Tele-Meister

Fear No Longer!

If you don't use your Trem, block it. All my Strat's Trem's are blocked with a cut and filed paint stick that fits right in front of the Trem Block. Then use 5 or 3 springs, I use 5. All my Trem's are 2 point, but 2 or 6 does not matter. The only thing that would be better is a Hard Tail. Tone wise I can't tell the difference with the Trem blocked or floating. A Luthier once told as long as I have my springs and don't have an actual hard tail the tone will not change. I don't know if that statement is true. My Blue Strat Blue came with the Hip Shot Trem Setter, which is now in my parts drawer.

My Trem's don't move. No tuning issues. Bend strings all day and hit another note while holding the bend and you're always in tune.

I dropped my volume knob down one hole and I use one tone control. Before I did this I'd bump the volume when palm muting.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. KevinB

KevinB Doctor of Teleocity

I only have one Strat, an American Standard that I bought new in 1995. I do float the trem but I don't do major "dive bombs" on it, and I would say that mine stays in tune perfectly. Changing strings is no big deal either. I do have a Callaham trem block, their saddles and their "Gilmour" arm installed, and while all those things either help with the tone, or make it easier for me to play, they have no impact on tuning stability.

When I bought mine, I went all over New York and must have played more than 20 new Strats. They all seemed a little different but the one I ended up with has been terrific. I do all my own setups, fret levelling, nut tweaking etc. and I'm also a big fan of the Erlewine books. Certainly no "Strat Fear" here. ;)

[​IMG]

9. BritTwang

BritTwang Tele-Holic

Well, I was all set to grab a US model in a few months time, but a friend of mine got a Classic Player 50s recently. I had a good session on it last night and decided I MUST have one, it was superb to play.

He has the trem setup close to the body with 5 springs and it seemed fine. My local store is getting hold of a couple for me to test drive so it's likely I'll have a new toy in the very near future!

10. Colt W. Knight

Colt W. Knight Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Everything you have discussed is really just a setup and playing technique issue. At first, the strat setup is awkward, but you will get used to it rather quickly.

If you really want to give a trem hell, I think locking tuners and a roller nut work well.

11. MadJack

MadJack Friend of Leo's

I've got an SX Furrian HH with a Two Point Tremolo and had many of the same fears about tuning stability. I learned how to do a trem set up from (as waparker4 said) FruduaTV. I also just got my first Strat a MIM Standard. I have no fear of the trems on either guitar. I don't use them very often, but do on rare occasions. I also got a Hipshot Tremsetter, but I doubt it will ever be installed, as I have no problems with my Tremolos.

Here's the FuduaTV video:

12. mechtech

mechtech TDPRI Member

2 point trems are great - They knife edge pivot.
    6 point trems blow - they rock on the base plate, and slide on the screws.
    I groove my 6 point screws, knife edge the plate, and convert them to real pivoters - fantastic!

13. nosuch

nosuch Friend of Leo's

AND the Robert Cray model (MIM) not pricey and a great guitar.

14. Stratburst

Stratburst Friend of Leo's

A large chunk of the Strat sound comes from the whammy. That's why Eric Clapton, even though he never uses the whammy, actually has it in his guitar. Hardtails have their advocates but I prefer a whammy-equipped Strat.

As for problems with the whammy bridge, there are plenty of resources to help you keep your Strat in tune and in shape. Premier Guitar had a great DIY guide to setting up your Strat last November and most every guitar maintenance book covers the topic in depth - it is arguably the most popular electric guitar design, certainly in the top 3.

15. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

Don't get a hard tail! You'll be missing out on sooo much of the Strat's magic. You said that this will be added to your "collection". That means to me that you are ready for this. Once I changed to .10s, my MIM stays tuned through a whole session of surf guitar where if I'm not using the whammy bar, I'm about to.
    At first you can adjust the floating bridge down to the body and then adjust it back when you are ready. It is time consuming at first, but you'll get the hang of it pretty quickly.
    Good luck and have fun shopping!

16. BritTwang

BritTwang Tele-Holic

Thanks! There's a Classic Player 50s on its way to my local store for me to try out. Should be in around the 10th. I figured I would try something a bit cheaper initially to try out a few Strat features and get an understanding of what I like (and what I don't).

The CP 50s has a good write up so it could be a good starting point.

17. nosuch

nosuch Friend of Leo's

for the "wiggle" you will like to set your tremolo floating. The CP is as well equipped for that as can be with the locking tuners and the 2 post bridge (my strat is a CP 50s too, decked the tremolo by now but will try floating it as soon as I get to it). If you have tuning problems check the nut, some pencil rubbed into the grooves may help.

18. AussieAndrew

AussieAndrew Friend of Leo's

You can also get a neat warbling effect playing while holding the whammy with your right ring finger & little pinky. That takes some getting used to, it needs to be very subtle, although I have done it rather aggressively doing solo's a few times (like another dimension). Not for strumming though.

19. glyn bob

glyn bob Tele-Meister

Do what Eric Clapton does and block the trem.I ve put five springs in my and that takes it right down to the body,never had any problems with this set up.
    It s all dependant on if you want to use the whammy bar or not,I did nt.

20. lineboat

lineboat Friend of Leo's

Exactly how I do it. Always works fine.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.