Strat decade sound.

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by Morgancolgrave, May 20, 2014.

1. Morgancolgrave

Morgancolgrave Tele-Meister

Hi guys looking for some info on describing the strat pickup sound from each era.

50's
    Early 60's
    Late 60's

Modern

Not sure what to put in mine. I have original vintage pickups in my tele, which I want to complement with my strat, albeit a bit different.

Cheers in advance.

2. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

I had some old grey bottom 70's that were nice, and tried some 50/60 repro's...many
    of them...be careful of what you wish for ... 70% of the early repros, sound extremely
    surfy...which may be orig sounding, but, I could not use in modern band applications...
    imho

3. rokdog49

rokdog49 Friend of Leo's

4. Morgancolgrave

Morgancolgrave Tele-Meister

Thanks guys. But still al seem to have the same description. What are the clear differences between 50's early 60's and late 60's style pickups in sound?

5. rokdog49

rokdog49 Friend of Leo's

It's really hard to describe. Try listening carefully to the sound clips at D. Allen's site.
    That's the best I can offer.

6. D.Allen

D.Allen Tele-Holic Vendor Member

The 54 Strat had its own tone after that the 56-59 and 65-69 are all fairly close. They will in general have a brighter tone then the 61-63 pickups which have more winds and develop more mids. Now we all know that no set was wound to the exact specs they were supposed to be so there is a lot of differences even with in specific years from Strat to Strat. But in general the early pre 65 60's Strats had more winds and created more mids and the others had less mids and a brighter sound. I hope I don't take heat for speaking so general as there are subtle differences year by year.

7. JTM45blues

JTM45blues Tele-Afflicted

Here is my suggestion, listen to guys who play 50's strats, early 60's strats and late 60's strats.

Here is who I think of:

50's strats: Chess era Buddy Guy, Buddy Holly, Anson Funderburgh

Early 60's strats: SRV, Magic Sam, T-Birds era Jimmie Vaughan

Late 60's strats: Hendrix

8. JKjr

JKjr Tele-Holic

This

9. Teleterr

Teleterr Friend of Leo's

I've had a real '62 and '65. Daves description is right on. The '62 had a deep hollow sound, great for the neck. Nice bite, do to the bevel. The unbeveled '65 had the classic "piano" attack. I found the Fender CS'69 to have exactly the same qualities only improved in every way. Since I also had a modern boutique w the same qualities as the '62, I ebayed both for $400 a piece to 2 guys that wanted period authenticity for their vintage Strats. In terms of sound, Dave, Fender itself, and possibly other winders have totally nailed or even improved on era sounds.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.