Strat Covers on Mustang Pickups?

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by tellycasta, Oct 27, 2016.

Strat pickup covers on Mustang Pickups, yes or no?

Poll closed Nov 10, 2016.
  1. Yes! Won't affect the sound at all/too much/in an unpleasant way!

2 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. No! They won't fit/they will sound bad!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. tellycasta

tellycasta TDPRI Member

Technically challenged gear noob over here, wondering if I could have some help/opinions on a subject. I'm looking to buy a used '65 reissue Mustang, but it doesn't come with covers on since the guy who's selling it wrecked them somehow. I thought maybe I could buy some Strat pickup covers to use on it (it has a white pickguard, so I want some aged white/parchment/cream pup covers), since I've read and heard that they are pretty simllar, except that in the Mustang pups, the poles have been pushed up further to compensate for the hole-less covers. I'm afraid that the Mustang pups might sound too harsh through the Strat covers, but maybe it won't affect the sound all that much.

So what I'm getting at here is: Will Strat pickup covers sound good on the Mustang pickups, or should I get replacement Mustang covers?

2. acrylicsuperman

acrylicsuperman Tele-Afflicted

They should fit just fine, but the holes will be useless. I am sure there are bound to be mustang covers in the color you want.

tellycasta likes this.
  3. radiocaster

radiocaster Poster Extraordinaire

They'll sound fine, they won't look as good.

tellycasta likes this.
  4. Iago

Iago Friend of Leo's

There's people online selling Mustang pickup covers on Amazon. Darren Riley probably will have them too.

5. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Now and then I use an old Mustang pup as a Strat neck pup and put Strat covers on them all the time. Looks better IMO until you get close and see the mags don't stick up as far.
    What you can't do is pup Stang covers on Strat pups.

6. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Makes no difference regarding the sound, and I agree with others, looks meh, or bleh, or just yeh. YMMV.

The MIJ covers that Angela calls the "Best" are made of very thin plastic: and that makes getting the pickups snug a lot easier. The CV covers, the run of the mill import ones, have thicker plastic, and some differences at the mounting wings and flange.

Only colors are bone white, black, and 'vintage white' CV Duo Sonic covers (really a cream). I needed a parchment or aged white, but I had to age them myself, and the MIJ plastics don't take to coffee/tea very well. I also ran without covers for awhile, check it out:

IMG_2444.JPG

songtalk and Zepfan like this.
  7. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Note: if you go coverless, you will need to tape the coils to protect them, they are exposed and vulnerable without.

telemnemonics likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.