Strat bridge/saddles mod

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by fenderjaguar, Aug 5, 2021.

1. fenderjaguar

fenderjaguar TDPRI Member

I've always hated how the end E saddles can rock/move/slide around and even buzz.

I simply took the brass earth fork out of a UK plug and hack sawed it shorter. Then scored/sanded both the bridge plate and the bottom of the brass, then stuck 2 of them on with super glue.

This feels really solid now. This is a squier jazzmaster mini, but it has strat hardtail bridge:

https://ibb.co/5xzj40R
    https://ibb.co/xGL82X8
    https://ibb.co/FqvC7Zr

Attached Files:

2. LutherBurger

LutherBurger Poster Extraordinaire

That is precisely why I will never own a bridge like that (top-loading, with six block saddles). The strings lift the saddles at the back and push them down at the front. If you kept adding neck relief, I bet you could eventually get the saddles to float above the plate.

3. Lonn

Lonn Friend of Leo's

Not sure what you're talking about unless you haven't had the guitar setup right. I've never (out of about 800 Fender style guitars) had a loose E saddle once the guitar is setup.

4. fenderjaguar

no, the combined downforce on the saddle is the same as if the string had just gone directly from the ball end hole to the saddle. It can't lift the saddle up, that would be opposite of reality.

I appreciate that the force on the saddle is probably different to string thru though (which is actually a pretty easy mod to do on this bridge).

Attached Files:

5. LutherBurger

I'll rephrase: the string applies pressure to both the top and bottom of the saddle, instead of just the top. It's a ridiculous design.

6. fenderjaguar

it doesn't have any more uplift on the saddle than the green line would in my previous uploaded picture.

7. alex1fly

alex1fly Tele-Meister

Nice!! I love seeing hacks/mods like this... household objects used to improve the functionality of a musical instrument. Thanks for sharing!

fenderjaguar likes this.
  8. LutherBurger

How did you measure or calculate the forces and angles, and generate the picture?

9. fenderjaguar

I think the amount of force you get from a pull in straight line is the same force you get from a pull that has been diverted, but then returned to the same place. I try to show in this picture I upload:

Attached Files:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.