1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Strat Advice: Professional or Original '50's (sorry to ask, but stores are closed)

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Mike M, Jun 9, 2020.

1. Mike M

Mike M Tele-Meister

I know this is a Tele Forum, but I'm a Tele player and want advice from other Tele players.

3 months ago I bought an American Professional Tele, and I just love the neck. Running it through a new GTX100.

Had a Strat 20 years ago, and its sound and feel are now calling me back.

Stores are closed, so can't really try the different models and A/B them. Might have to just order online.

If anyone wants to weight in, would love any advice you can give me on these two models, and which one you prefer.

Thx

2. 53Strat

53Strat Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

It's a difficult one.

I too own the Professional series Telecaster but was not sold on the standard pickups.
    I opted for a set of twisted Tele Bridge and Neck along with a RWRP Texas Special Strat pup in the middle.
    A push Pull tone switch allows me to get the trad tele Neck/Bridge and all those fantastic Strat combinations. See my Avatar.

Like you I really enjoy the neck which should be the same on the Strat.

50's Strats offer a range of neck profiles from soft V's to U and D shapes so without trying it out I would be reluctant to purchase unseen/unplayed.
    Then of course you have the pickups to assess. Again I'm not sold on those V Mod pups on the Professional.

At least you know what the neck will feel like on the Pro series and pups are changeable. :confused:

Mike M likes this.
  3. Mike M

Mike M Tele-Meister

Drooling over that Avatar

4. Mike M

Mike M Tele-Meister

Update, went with Pro, to match the Tele

IMG_3485.jpg

GK34, Paul G. and Telecaster88 like this.
  5. Irondog

Irondog Tele-Meister

NICE. opinions on the V mod's.? They do appear to be hit and miss. some people really hit the sweet spot with them.

6. urbandefault

urbandefault Tele-Holic

I bought my first Strat in 1981. At that time, there were two options: new or used.

I chose new.

Take from that what you will. ;)

Telecaster88 likes this.
  7. Mike M

Mike M Tele-Meister

I like them, but my knowledge of fender pick ups is pretty limited.

I had a Strat back in the late 70's and a Tele in the mid 90's, but haven't played electric guitar in about 20 years. I didn't get to play a lot if other Teles (wanted to try the 50's ) but not a lot of stock because of the covid situation. So hard to compare and contrast.

8. tamer_of_banthas

tamer_of_banthas Tele-Holic

if fret buzz / fret rattle bothers you EVEN A LITTLE

Do Not Get A 7.25 inch radius guitar

just don't.

get the Am Pro or an Am Orig series w. the 9.5 inch radius

thank you that is all

9. tamer_of_banthas

tamer_of_banthas Tele-Holic

oh yea and spend a little extra to get a loaded Lindy Fralin pickguard. when it comes to stratocaster pickups, i think his are the very best of the best. as long as we are talking proper vintage single coil sounds. if you want noise free, i gotta say i recently got into Lace Sensor strat pickups and i am very happy with them.

10. fenderrookie

fenderrookie A fan of Leo! Ad Free Member

A properly set up Strat won’t have fret buzz or rattle. It’s about proper neck relief and fret prep, not neck radii

11. stnmtthw

stnmtthw Friend of Leo's

I have an American Performer and it's easily the best Strat I've ever had in my life. It's a few hundred dollars cheaper than the Professional, too.

12. Paul G.

Paul G. Friend of Leo's

The American Professional Stratocaster is a really great instrument. I love mine.

13. DougM

DougM Poster Extraordinaire

I agree! My Performer is also my favorite Strat ever of the dozens I've owned in 5 decades. The Yosemite pickups are the best ever! But after replacing the V-Mod pickups in my Pro with some vintage spec A5s, it's a very close second. DSCN0748.JPG DSCN0687.JPG I love the narrow tall frets on the Pro.

stnmtthw likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.