Strap Talk—Preferences, Pictures?

afterdarkmusic

TDPRI Member
I'm on the hunt for a new strap! I'd love to hear your thoughts and see any photos you have.

Considering going with something padded and leather. I primarily play in my living room—haven't gigged since 2015—but I'd still like something that has a nice, polished, understated elegant aesthetic. I don't want to spend a ton, but I'm worried one of the cheap leather ones ($40-ish) off Amazon will leave me disappointed? Any brands to look out for or avoid?

But don't stop there, I'd love to see and hear what everyone's preferences are!

Fretting out

Doctor of Teleocity
Platinum Supporter
I just like the old style ones with pads and skinny straps

My favorite fender one actually broke not too long ago :(

But I have a couple

These are the ones I have except the gretsch one is black, the Gibson one is pricey but makes everything feel light

3C4FDD1B-1699-48E7-9A28-1767A375031A.jpeg
3FCEE341-1FF5-4F79-851A-DE142D8DA988.jpeg
8E42F015-903B-412F-B098-78A6E04785EC.jpeg

loopfinding

Friend of Leo's
i use more or less the 3" version of this (it was the widest one they had in the store). i think i paid around 20 something for it. there are the cheaper ones that hardly have any grain though.

https://www.samash.com/perris-35-leather-guitar-strap-with-black-suede-backing-pp35nbbbb-p

i'd totally go for 3.5" too. it distributes the weight well. i got no time for looking cool, i'm bony as hell and the guitar is like almost 7% my body weight, hahaha. also the suede part helps prevent neck dive on my SG.

Killing Floor

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
I just got this from Right On. It’s got tiny little pockets for picks. It’s vegan so you can eat it even if you don’t like meat. It’s got a cool bolted adjustment security thingy too. Very comfortable. I’ve got a bunch of Italia Leather so I wanted to try something different. It’s way more comfortable than the strap I made from a 78 Oldsmobile seatbelt.
upload_2021-10-1_14-26-43.jpeg

upload_2021-10-1_14-27-24.jpeg

afterdarkmusic

TDPRI Member
i use more or less the 3" version of this (it was the widest one they had in the store). i think i paid around 20 something for it. there are the cheaper ones that hardly have any grain though.

https://www.samash.com/perris-35-leather-guitar-strap-with-black-suede-backing-pp35nbbbb-p

i'd totally go for 3.5" too. it distributes the weight well. i got no time for looking cool, i'm bony as hell and the guitar is like almost 7% my body weight, hahaha. also the suede part helps prevent neck dive on my SG.

That's pretty much exactly what I'm looking at on Amazon right now, for sure

stomped box

Tele-Meister
I don't know i fthis is one of the least popular choices, but this is probably my favourite strap.

You didn't see that age poll a while back? I expect some sort of orthopedic strap to come out on top, something in Nurse Blinding White that looks very physical rehabby but is said to be extremely comfortable.

loopfinding

Friend of Leo's
That's pretty much exactly what I'm looking at on Amazon right now, for sure

Cool. Only beef with mine is that it was still a little low for me at the highest setting since I’m short and small (I try to wear my guitar in the same position as sitting), so I had to punch a couple more holes in it.

ping-ping-clicka

Poster Extraordinaire
Ad Free Member
Sir I bought a Levy's guitar strap age and ages ago.
it's better now than when I bought it.
It has always been comfortable Yes it seems expensive and as a couple of decades have rolled by it's proven its value and it is padded . I am supremely happy with my purchase!
https://www.levysleathers.com/product/guitar-strap-mssb2-4-blk/

fretWalkr

Tele-Holic
For straps, to me the first thing is "do no harm." No metal ornamentation, parts, or buckles that can scratch finishes. I also don't like the old style with a sliding padded piece. The pad always seems to slide down where I don't want it. Other than that I like it simple with out a lot of bling or decoration. I've ended up using the cheapo two piece adjustable leather ones, where I can set the length once and forget it.

Mad Kiwi

Friend of Leo's
Sir I bought a Levy's guitar strap age and ages ago.
it's better now than when I bought it.
It has always been comfortable Yes it seems expensive and as a couple of decades have rolled by it's proven its value and it is padded . I am supremely happy with my purchase!
https://www.levysleathers.com/product/guitar-strap-mssb2-4-blk/

I agree with PPC, great straps. I especially like them for Bass and my bigger body and heavier guitars like Gretsch, Les Paul etc.

Awesome straps.