1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Strap preferences?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Itgoesto11, Sep 15, 2020.

1. Telebra

Telebra Tele-Meister

Whaaaat? STRAPS?.......I always wondered what those 'buttons' were for on each end of the guitar. I've spent years trying to hold my guitar up when I'm on stage, even tried Super-glueing the back of the guitar to my belt buckle'( it just made my pants fall down from all the weight).

2. Zoot Zoot

Zoot Zoot TDPRI Member

This is a Telecaster forum - the Tele is the least sexy looking guitar ever! A total Plain Jane. and those Paisley Telecasters just make you look like you're, um... leading an alternative lifestyle.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2020
    Flip G likes this.
  3. thesamhill

thesamhill Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Yep and....

If I'm playing a gig on the second story and things go sideways, I can unravel my strap and escape out the window

sonicsmitty and P Thought like this.
  4. XTRXTR

XTRXTR TDPRI Member

I use the Satriani straps for the cool doodle designs and the Dunlop strap lock system has never failed me. Where as the Schaller lock system allowed my guitar to fall off of my shoulder a few times, though I caught it before the floor, not to mention it was squeaky metal on metal, and if you add grease it gets on you.

5. Frisco 57

Frisco 57 Tele-Meister

It frightens me when I think how many years I've had and used this leather Gibson as my main strap.

IMG_3772.jpg

cat dude and El Tele Lobo like this.
  6. Churchjack

Churchjack Tele-Meister

I'm not super particular, except for width and weight distribution, 'cause I'm the orthopedists' best friend and bankroll due to injuries. I do have a favorite Jeri Hart strap, though, made of glove leather. I aim to get another soon.

7. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

I love the Planet Waves locking straps, but I also like pretty much everything else if it looks cool enough. I also have a "Fender Custom Shop" leather strap that I bought for $4.99 from China.....

8. P Thought

P Thought Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I've always regarded the strap as part of the guitar, and I've tried to match straps with each guitar's "personality", as well as selecting straps for comfort and durability. I used to keep a file of links to strap makers, and browse it whenever I got another guitar, but I deleted most of the links when I stopped using Windows Explorer. I've slowed 'way down (knocks on wood) buying guitars anyway.

There are many great choices out there. On my 10 guitars, I have 2 Franklins, 2 Dog Tireds, a Jeri Hart, a Jodi Head, a Lakota Leathers, an Italia, a homemade classical strap, and a custom-tooled belt-leather strap from a friend who owns a boot and saddle shop. Two of the plain leather ones (the Lakota and one of the Franklins) I've "personalized" by having my saddle-shop friend sew on patches: a Life Scout badge and a SYF patch.

I've never worried about strap locks, but I learned a long time ago (during an ill-advised "Elvis" move that dropped my guitar on the floor) to always have a hand on the guitar guarding against strap failure. It's habit now.

tvvoodoo and DekeDog like this.
  9. DekeDog

DekeDog Tele-Afflicted

Most of my straps are leather, and I've found a local leathersmith who does nice work for low prices.

WVJLvAA.png

greenhornet and P Thought like this.
  10. String Tree

String Tree Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Being the old Hippy that I am, I prefer the wider, soft Leather straps.
    When wielding a Full Weight Les Paul or, a Bass, it spreads the load and is much easier on my shoulder.

11. Hey_you

Hey_you Tele-Holic

Wow, I've looked at their site and passed due to wanting between 2.5-4". Nice to know.Too late now. I'll have to buy another guitar!Lol

Robert H. and P Thought like this.
  12. rrobbone

rrobbone Tele-Meister

Finally, a thread I feel I can add something to!

Over the years, I've found this guy to make my favorites:

https://reverb.com/marketplace?make=well-hung-1

They're well padded and durable. I currently have six that I gigged on my bass for years (not all at once). If you like handmade stuff and want something different, take a look. He's always posting new ideas.

nomadh and tvvoodoo like this.
  13. greenhornet

greenhornet Tele-Meister

A new Suave from El Dorado for the Tele.

A couple years old Levys for the Strat.

14. kuvash

kuvash Friend of Leo's

Last edited: Sep 20, 2020
    edvard likes this.
  15. MiniMig

MiniMig TDPRI Member

Fender "Baseball Glove" leather straps. comfy as can be and made of real leather not "genuine leather" which is scraps held together by a binder.

16. Jay Jernigan

Jay Jernigan Tele-Afflicted

Anything as long as it's leather.
    Most of my pants are denim. I have considered switching it up but that ship has sailed.
    Btw, Perri's makes a worthy strap for a reasonable price. Got suede, too.

17. rockinstephen

rockinstephen Tele-Meister

I have one of those "vintage style" straps that I don't like anymore. Seems like I always have to adjust the pad. Wider straps (2 1/2" or more) are more comfortable, especially with a heavy guitar...

tvvoodoo likes this.
  18. P-Nutz

P-Nutz Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Yes, when I was having severe neck issues from herniated discs, but after some PT and years of TKD, I sold them, because, well, they're ugly.

Flip G likes this.
  19. tvvoodoo

tvvoodoo Tele-Afflicted

A couple small strips of stick-on velcro between the strap and pad will fix that for a long while. There are some wonderful boutique makers here as standing members of the TDPRI... where you can get something uncommon and extra cool, as well as lovingly handmade by a guitar-playing craftsperson (important).

Thank you for the link above @rrobbone

Don't care how beautiful or fine a strap is, if it pounds away at my body, or slides all over the place I can't use it. Nicely padded. The exception is vintagey leather link straps with some "bounce." Minimum 2-3/4" wide, has to be able to hit 54" pin-to-pin without being on the very last ladder loop. A sling that compliments, or speaks to the personality of its chosen guitar and player in a signaturish way. Straps I can call my very own, not those hundreds of other players wear or feature apparent brand names or band names.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2020
  20. Chandlerman

Chandlerman Tele-Meister

I like the look of this Couch strap on my tele

[​IMG]

and this Levy's strap on my X-plorer.

[​IMG]

P Thought likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.