1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Strap preferences?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Itgoesto11, Sep 15, 2020.

1. teletimetx

teletimetx Doctor of Teleocity

I've only had a couple over the years, but have slowly tried to make sure there's one in every case, as it's no fun to show up at a gig and there's no strap. WTF? I have one of the cheap Fender "tweed" cloth pattern ones, 10 or 12 bucks, why not? one or two leather versions, with the ladder business that I don't particularly like. My favorite is a Jicarilla Apache wedding belt, made by a guy who was originally from one of the Pueblo groups around Taos, but married into a JA family, and that's a maternal oriented family approach, so when he weaves, he uses his married into family patterns, which in this case is Badger clan:

Logan tele with Jc Apache strap (2).jpg

It's pretty comfortable. I did the conversion part, making it a guitar strap, but can't say my workmanship is anything to write home about. It works, and so do the Grolsch strap keepers.

btw: thanks to all above who have provided other choices - I'm checking a few of them out.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2020
  2. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Would love to see a pic of your S-shaped strap...as well as brand and model.

3. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Nice. Are they commercially available?

4. rjtwangs

rjtwangs Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

An old girl friend had this strap made from old horse reins.
    20180820_112431.jpg
    This one I had made for the Rocket....
    20200918_163312.jpg
    20171220_190801.jpg

RJ

5. Javier668

Javier668 Tele-Meister

Leather or tweed obiously.

6. teletimetx

teletimetx Doctor of Teleocity

I think so - as just a belt.

I have his business card somewhere - as best I remember, his name was Chris Velarde. Let me try to hunt it down at home, and I'll send along the details. He was a wonderful guy to talk to - met him at the Mabel Dodge museum, there in Taos.

7. NightOwl

NightOwl Tele-Meister

Tell me what you have in mind. I make straps...

P Thought, El Tele Lobo and tvvoodoo like this.
  8. Telecentric

Telecentric Tele-Holic

Yep, my Teles all have the skinny Fender straps

JRapp likes this.
  9. Ebidis

Ebidis Tele-Afflicted

We are the same. I've had this strap for over 30 years. I have the same strap lock buttons on all of my guitars, and this strap is pretty much the only one I use.

I have other straps, and some are more fancy, but none of them are as comfortable as this old broken in thing.

fullsizeoutput_347.jpeg

greenhornet and Frisco 57 like this.
  10. blacktuesday

blacktuesday TDPRI Member

This is making me rethink my selection of plain black straps

11. tvvoodoo

tvvoodoo Tele-Afflicted

P Thought and NightOwl like this.
  12. nobis17

nobis17 Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

I really like the Levy ones that have the cloth braided designs on top and leather underneath

13. 39martind18

39martind18 Friend of Leo's

When you get to my age, the "sexy" factor of guitar diminishes rather steeply. Consequently I like leather straps built like me: wide, well padded and comfortable!:p:D

Flip G and WalthamMoosical like this.
  14. thestratophile

thestratophile TDPRI Member

Souldier ... they just look so cool and are made using recycled car seat belts as I recall ... nicely conscientious as well as - nice!

15. WalthamMoosical

WalthamMoosical Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

It's the guitar that is supposed to be sexy? Boy I'm even more embarrassed now.

Flip G likes this.
  16. BFcaster

BFcaster Tele-Meister

I was sooo close to getting myself a Franklin. Really like the look and feel of them, with that little design towards the strap holes. Basic but classy. Read many reviews on many forums, etc. Then I kept getting a few mentions on Lakota straps, certainly made in the USA and from bison leather (cool). I started to investigate into them a little bit.
    Well, last Christmas my beautiful and loving wife (perhaps without her knowledge....) got for me a Lakota 3" Chocolate strap for my Les Paul 'burst. It's width and color also work well with my orange Gretsch, btw. Have yet to try it with my blackguard Teles (oh, the shame...!! Tsk tsk...).
    It cost a bit more, but being old-school I feel that where/how it was made, and how it works/feels to me as a player, it was totally worth it. I have seriously been considering getting (my wife to buy) one for my mandolin. They are braided and look pretty cool.
    She's so loving and pretty...did I forget to mention that? Only 3 months 'til Christmas!!!

P Thought likes this.
  17. Saxonbowman

Saxonbowman Tele-Meister

18. NightOwl

NightOwl Tele-Meister

Here's my take on straps. If they're too wide and made of a stiff material, padded or not, they'll rub and be uncomfortable. Personally, I think a stiff strap without padding should be about 2 3/4" wide maximum. This gives the best comfort factor. A floppy strap buckles in the center and concentrates the weight in the center of the strap instead of distributing it evenly. Padding is cool and actually lets you run a narrower strap. I usually overbuild my straps a little. I actually kept having the soft vs firm strap debate with my dad until I made him one. As a maker, I can only offer advice to people who want stuff made. It's ultimately their decision. That's just my input on straps.

19. sonicsmitty

sonicsmitty Tele-Holic

Nice. Probably makes a good 5000 lb. strap in a pinch too!

NightOwl likes this.
  20. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

My favorite straps are custom made by my best friend. I've known him for 52 years, and his hobby has been carving leather for all of those years. Through the decades I've had belts, wallets, checkbook covers, a cell phone holster and Bibles rebound...

NIV Study Bible DWB binding.jpg 08-01-2019 - My new phone holster - 1.jpg

...and guitar straps. I have three for my Logan Custom guitars.

I gigged tonight with my Logan Custom Firecaster I (on the left in my avatar pic) and my Logan Custom acoustic/electric tele. I typically gig with the Firecaster II (on the right in my avatar pic) and that Logan a/e tele, so I haven't needed more than three custom straps. Here are the three...

07-14-2019 - DWB straps - 3.jpg

P Thought and El Tele Lobo like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.