1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Strap preferences?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Itgoesto11, Sep 15, 2020.

1. Terrygh1949

Terrygh1949 Tele-Meister

I have a 335 or 339 style guitar and, I like it a lot, I just wish they would locate that front strap button on the body like Fender or some of the other models. I have always used a leather strap. 2".

2. walt0915

walt0915 TDPRI Member

I have Jeri Hart straps on all of my guitars. Leather, various widths and styles from plain to highly customized. Very, very comfortable and soft.

http://www.jeridesigns.com

P Thought likes this.
  3. Terrytown

Terrytown TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

I have gone to the Levy 4 inch straps. It takes the strain off the trapeze muscle in my shoulder. Extended practice or play periods with narrow straps is just brutal.

4. Karl Beach

Karl Beach TDPRI Member

5. biblebound

biblebound TDPRI Member

I've gone thru several straps over the years. By far, the best quality leather straps are made by, 'Brookwood Leather'. They are pricey, but Bob's straps excel in absolute exquisite quality and aesthetics. IMO, there is not a a better, more comfortable, and classy guitar strap made anywhere.

http://brookwoodleather.com/home

Another company making hand-made guitar straps is 'Heistercamp'; great customer service too....

https://www.heistercamp.co.uk/

And finally, 'Sully's Straps', makes very affordable, rugged leather straps for acoustic or electric that are far better than what you can buy from Guitar Center...

https://sullysstraps.com/new-straps/new-leather-guitar-banjo-straps/

6. larsjm

larsjm TDPRI Member

Awful. Just plain awful. It looks like a 3rd grader took two cheap guitar straps and buttoned them together, not to mention the straps look backwards with those adjustment loops on the front.

pixeljammer and Flip G like this.
  7. Erwin

Erwin Tele-Meister

8. Dik Ellis

Dik Ellis Tele-Meister

I don't like to spend a lot on straps, so I usually buy Ernie Ball's. I try to get a color to match the guitar. Also have some nice Fender monagram straps, but they are $25 a pop.

9. NoTeleBob

NoTeleBob Tele-Meister

Seems like a great idea for a heavy guitar (LP) but yeah, looks like you're carry a baby in a pack or you're a nerdy freshman in college with a backpack. The unsexyist of playing looks.

My most comfortable strap was one I made when I was young: I had them cut a 4" wide piece of leather off a cowhide at the local leather-making shop. Unfinished, about 1/8" thick. Cut the piece to rough length, punched holes at the ends, rounded the lower corners and triangled the top end; put it on my guitar. Later I dyed it to make it a better color.

Wonderful strap - the width dispersed the weight of the guitar over a wide area of back. Great with my heavy LP. The thickness meant it never twisted up: it was always in "toss it over your back and play" position.

The downside was that it was one length only so it worked on one specific guitar model. I suppose I could have gotten more creative with multiple holes on the lower side if I'd done some planning. Wouldn't have looked as cool.

Lost it somewhere over the years. Need to find another leather store one of these days.

10. Crobbins

Crobbins Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

11. 33Jayman

33Jayman TDPRI Member

I was visiting my sister in the UK last June and while I was there with my wife we visited Anderton's. While there I checked out Airstraps. I wasn't going to buy one because of the price but my wife said that I needed some kind of souvenir. So I picked one up. After getting back home to Michigan, I put the strap on my Telecaster and that is where it stayed. I love it and wish that I could buy more. They are great looking, comfortable and the leather ends could withstand and nuclear blast! I am really glad that I liked it so much because I don't think I could easily take it off!

Jayman

12. Dietcokedream

Dietcokedream TDPRI Member

I got the signature from this site:

https://sleepwalkltd.com/collections/guitar-straps

The leather has been aging gracefully and I love that it doesn’t have lumps for adjusting. Also the raw leather on the inside grips on to me just right. They also have seatbelt type straps but I have not tried one.

13. wstrnswingster

wstrnswingster TDPRI Member

+1 for El Dorado. Vintage Plain, wide. But I have to give props to my trusty Klondyke, vintage style, Bought it in Arlington in 1991. Had it fixed once but it's still kicking. I also like Lakota Leathers. Super soft, my fav Dobro strap. Buffalo stretches so I use the orange rubber washers for "locks". Got a Walker & Williams I put strap locks on for a heavier guitar. It's OK for the price but I won't buy another.

Crobbins likes this.
  14. skradlee

skradlee TDPRI Member

I have one Souldier strap and it is pretty koo, but I really dig the faux leather ones from Couch. I have a brown and black one that both felt great from day one.

15. skradlee

skradlee TDPRI Member

That a Trussart? It looks like a friggin BEAST!

16. wstrnswingster

wstrnswingster TDPRI Member

Strat56, thanks for the tip on Brookwood. Looks like great quality and he makes amp handles! Even a dog bone! I gotta have one!

Larsjm, those are called DARE straps. I think D'Addario made them? I bought one when I was having shoulder problems. I used it for a bit but it's packed away now. It got me through the shoulder problem so I'll save it in case it happens again! Not super comfy but they do distribute the weight.

El Tele Lobo likes this.
  17. klaus

klaus TDPRI Member

My "everyday strap" is shaped a little like an "s" with the result that it lies better on my should and not on my neck, too. No problems even at loooong gigs!

This is my favorite strap from the look and it's even suprisingly comfortable: http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5338148343&icep_item=324019795446

But the coolest strap in my collection is an old Gretsch for the 60s Tennessean with strass stone on it - bling bling ;-)

El Tele Lobo likes this.
  18. zeke54

zeke54 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I got sucked into the strap thing a few years ago . I had been using the old standby 2 1/2 inch leather straps for years when I was in working bands , those are still great straps . I bought several Fender straps of late , mostly leather , then I bought an old Ace strap on Ebay that reminded me of my youth . Also have a Levy's ( very comfortable ) and a Walker and Williams ( comfortable and stylish ) , have a couple retro straps . The one I use the most is a retro woven one , it rolls up small and doesn't take up much space in the case . But lately I decided I'd rather spend my money on guitars rather than straps . I have more than I need anyway ( straps that is ) !

El Tele Lobo likes this.
  19. doomcaster

doomcaster TDPRI Member

I have DiMarzio Cliplocks on all of my electrics. They don't look like much, but they're pretty reasonably-priced, low-profile, and super secure.

20. Squawker

Squawker Tele-Meister

Fender Patchworks cotton straps with leather ends. Favourite is the green with red star. Sadly not available any more. upload_2020-9-18_22-48-35.png

61fury likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.