1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Strap Locks

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by Neel, Oct 13, 2007.

1. Neel

Neel TDPRI Member Gold Supporter

I was wondering what were the best strap locks for a telecaster? I don't want anything that looks all out of place. I have never owned any and they seem like a good investment Thanks - Neel :D

2. Rhomco

Rhomco Friend of Leo's

I prefer Dunlops

They dont have an exposed edge to scratch the guitar and they have never failed to lock for me. You really need a strap lock on a Telecaster because it could fall off and cause severe damage to whatever it hits:D
    Rob

3. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Jim Dunlop

I prefer the Dunlop strap locks; I tried a couple other brands, these always seemed the best. This is one item readily available at Guitar Center at $ 10 including the tax if you don't mind dickering, and it is what I buy when a GC salesman has been very helpful to me ($) in the past but has nothing I have to buy on a subsequent visit there.

I do wish Dunlop would sell the buttons alone in volume. Guys having more than 5 guitars seldom also have a strap for every single guitar. Dunlop doesn't respond to my e-mails.

Bubbanov

4. Rhomco

Rhomco Friend of Leo's

Bubbanov?

Get in touch with me.... I have fifteen or twenty of the strap ends and I can help you out.
    Rob

5. hourglass

hourglass TDPRI Member

This is one of the reasons I prefer the Schaller locks. Allparts sells the buttons alone - I think list price is around $5 a pair, so you can usually get them pretty cheap. I also like the mechanism on them a lot more than I do the Dunlop ones.

Ryan

6. ChicknPickn

ChicknPickn Tele-Afflicted

I go for the Schaller brand, too. Started with them years ago, liked the weighty feel and thick chroming. Nice to know one can get the buttons individually.

7. stxrus

stxrus Poster Extraordinaire

another vote for Schaller.

each guitar has it's own strap i play my SG lower that my strat but not as high as the tele. each strap for each guitar. proper length and button orientation.

steve

8. all_identaties_taken

all_identaties_taken Tele-Holic

Schaller. I've used them for well over ten years and never had a problem with them. The dunlop ones look cheap and are cheap a bass player I work with had them, I helped put his head back on when one failed!

9. maestrovert

maestrovert Poster Extraordinaire

Schaller strap locks on ALL of my guitars, no exceptions !

10. blacklinefish

blacklinefish Tele-Afflicted

Schaller.

I started using them over 20 years ago when a regular strap button failed and a Les Paul fell and landed square on my bare foot! I never wanted that to happen again (but at least my foot broke the fall). I am using that same set from 1985, the mechanism still works exactly like the day I put it on.

(Works well on light guitars like Teles too.)
    --gh

11. jmintzer

jmintzer Tele-Meister

Another Schaller fan here. I also bought the bulk buttons AllParts. They work great!

Jamie

12. JimiBryant

JimiBryant Tele-Afflicted

use the rubber ring from the top of a bottle of Grolsch -
    you get a nice beer, and a bonus cheap-but-functional strap lock!

13. Stuco

Stuco Poster Extraordinaire

I prefer the stock strap buttons. Strap locks are too bulky, they don't look right, and they cost a lot. If you want a strap to stay on your guitar then invest in a couple of 5 cent washers.

14. aznrambo481

aznrambo481 Friend of Leo's

I like the plastic Dunlop ones.. ya know, the pick-shaped ones with the rotary thing that locks the strap in place. less than 5 bucks for a set, only problem is that they tend to disappear after a while...

15. stxrus

stxrus Poster Extraordinaire

lets see.... $.20 compared to $$ or $$$ for your guitar. after dropping my 1st SG i've put Schallers on ALL of my guitars, except the lap steel and the acoustic.

cheap insurance, even for an indestructable fender

steve

16. blacklove

blacklove Tele-Meister

I see a lot of "indie" musicians using the duct or gaff tape method. :lol: Very hard core. :rolleyes:

I use the black plastic things that slip on after you put your strap on. You twist them and they lock. They're usually in a fish bowl near the cash register of your local music shop.

I just don't care for the look of strap locks. Sorry!

17. Flat357

Flat357 Banned

I use the Schallers , and it's a good feeling to know your guitar won't fall , but i've also had problems sometimes trying to remove the strap , to a degree where you almost damage the guitar , or pull the screw out :neutral:
    Now I add vaseline to the buttons before putting the lock on . I'll know if it works next time I take the strap off lol :lol:

18. bowlfreshener

bowlfreshener Friend of Leo's

As far as just strap locks themselves, I prefer Schallers over Dunlop, like many do here as well.

Overall though, I prefer DiMarzio Cliplock straps because if you use those, there is no way the guitar is going anywhere. Plus I like the DiMarzio straps because they come with screws for either the predominantly Fender or Gibson sized holes. Which is really handy, because surprisingly, my 3 Squier Teles used the Gibson sized hole for the strap pins, which is why I had to switch out my Schallers, which use the Fender sized hole. Another reason I like the cliplock strap is because its cheaper than getting straplocks and a decent strap, but just as, if not more secure.

19. bender-freak

bender-freak Friend of Leo's

schaller s.l.'s on all my guitars....just what i got used to, dunno if they are any better as such, but they work for me and as others said the buttons can be bought seperate as i have way more guitars than i do straps...

20. xStonr

xStonr Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I have the Schallers on all of my guitars except one. It has the Marvel strap lock system. I don't like it at all. Too many parts that loosen up and they are big. Eventually I'll just get a set of Schallers for that too. They have been very dependable.

Marvel[​IMG]

Schaller[​IMG]

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.