Strap lock ball fell off. Grrrrr

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by Hey_you, Jun 18, 2021.

1. Hey_you

Hey_you Tele-Afflicted

I've read on how to remove em. The non destructive methods hadn't worked. Tried wedging toothpicks, super-gluing items to pull up, screwing a small screw in attempt to raise up the lock piece. Nada. Ticks me off big time. I swap straps on my guitars so leaving it was not an option. So what , besides taking a hacksaw to it works? I switched to rubber washers on my last FAILED lock. Never again. Strap locks suck IMO.

2. vhilts1

vhilts1 Tele-Holic

If you’ve had 2 failed locks you might be doing something wrong

I never heard of any failing before

The rubber washer over strap end over strap button is simple cheap and effective

I use Dunlop strap locks and have never had a problem

I do make sure each guitar has its own strap and lockers to avoid switching in and out tho...

3. Hey_you

Hey_you Tele-Afflicted

Well, failed due to the ball falling off the threaded shaft :confused:. Shaller and Fender. The current prob is my 6 month old Am Ultra Strat. Locks were included.

4. vhilts1

vhilts1 Tele-Holic

Schaller design I don’t like. Is the Fender design similar ??

One slight advantage to the Dunlop design is it doesn’t fight physics as much.

And again....not being critical ...I’ve just never heard of strap locks failing....

If you are using the same strap on every guitar perhaps that is contributing to your high failure rate ??

Just a thought

In the future get a strap and lockers for each guitar and use Dunlop’s IMO you might have better results

5. Peegoo

Peegoo Poster Extraordinaire

I started with Schaller and after about five years of contending with them falling apart, I went to Dunlop and have never had a single problem with them in more than 30 years.

Hey_you and vhilts1 like this.
  6. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I have been using Schallers since the mid nineties. I have never had a failure, and never had one come apart on me. In fact, I have a strap on one of my guitars currently that dates back to around 1995. Same Schallers that I installed all those years ago, zero issues. The key is to install them correctly, and use a drop of blue Loctite to keep the nut from coming loose in the first place.

teleplayr and Fretting out like this.
  7. Fretting out

Fretting out Poster Extraordinaire

Same here although not as long, maybe used them for about a decade

Schallers give me that cozy feeling that Dunlop doesn’t since if the mechanism does fail it’s got that horseshoe shaped cup to keep it from dropping, and until recently Dunlop’s stuck out like crazy

Oh heck! I don’t need to justify schaller, I like em

Sorry I didn’t help one bit

Frodebro likes this.
  8. KATT

KATT Tele-Meister

JDB2 likes this.
  9. Hey_you

Hey_you Tele-Afflicted

tried it -failed. prob is holding the guitar upsidedown. its a $2000 guitar. I don't want to muck it up somehow. Guess GC. I tip the tech and am in good graces with him. Something like a ink pen tube might work. need just enough grip to lift the stopper. Very little room to work in. Plus it is attached to the guitar. Makes it tough.

10. vhilts1

vhilts1 Tele-Holic

Dunlop design is so much better

It uses parts from other industries designed to do the same thing

The Schaller design is a guitar specific anti-physics fiddly bit. Lol

Hey_you likes this.
  11. RobRiggs

RobRiggs Tele-Holic

I’ve been using these DiMarzio straps for years. I’ve got them on most of my electric guitars. Solid as a rock and eliminates the need for strap locks.
    1D0769D7-600A-492C-8439-88FDDAF1A275.jpeg

Hey_you likes this.
  12. El Marin

El Marin Friend of Leo's

I use Schaller and rubber beer gaskests.

The feeling of metal against metal ir weird for me. I believe the bibration made the screw to come out. This rubber amortiguates that feeling. ALSO it keeps it tighter

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

tintag27, vhilts1 and Hey_you like this.
  13. Phrygian77

Phrygian77 Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I'm wondering, is it worth the trouble? I've never used them, but I've always been curious because I see a lot of guys using them. I've only ever had a guitar come off a strap maybe twice, and that was my fault for not getting it all the way on the button. Both times I caught the guitar before it even dropped below my waist. My main strap though is made of thick suede leather. I bought it about 16 years ago at a small local shop, and I've yet to find another one like it anywhere.

14. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Doctor of Teleocity

Removed those dodgy, rattling Schallers long ago from all my guitars. The extension they add just strains the screw and they really are only as good as the clamp to a soft, wearable strap material. Not a great design. As many pulled out / loosened screws as slipped through the strap hole. Cup design no use if that happens.

Dunlops and rubber discs for me. Need strap to be as close to body as possible and retained by as big a disc as practical.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2021
    Hey_you likes this.
  15. Festofish

Festofish Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I don’t play live so keep that in mind. I’ve got about twenty sets of Schallers in a box. I used them exclusively for years. The new ones are nice but tend to work themselves out in my experience. I’ve never used the Dunlop style as they don’t cradle the strap button for extra protection like the Schaller style. After 30 years I switched to silicone washers. They work great. Lots of colors to choose from.
    663756C6-AA99-47B4-B708-3AE967045162.png

Hey_you likes this.
  16. KATT

KATT Tele-Meister

That's a shame. I've had multiple Schaller strap locks and have never had one stuck on the guitar, but I'm sure the ball has come off once. I tend not to use them any more any apart from a couple of guitars which already have them on.

The irony is that normal strap buttons with a decent strap will stay on fine (unless you have the strap twisted near the button - easy to check) but the schaller buttons without the locks are more prone to the strap coming off as they don't have the same slanted edges to keep the strap on!

17. fuzz guy

fuzz guy TDPRI Member

I've had the ball end come off some inexpensive Schaller copies before and I was able to use vise grips to grab the shaft and pull it out.

Hands down the best straplocks I've used are the Loxx ones. I have them on my SGs because they have the lowest profile of anything out there, but they're also the most secure. The only thing you need to get over is the weird little ball end connector on the guitar, but it's worth it IME.

Good luck fixing yours, OP.

18. Drew617

Drew617 Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

I’ve used the Dunlop “Dual Design” straploks since forever and have not experienced a failure, FWIW.

As to “worth it,” after a handful of drops, as far as I’m concerned, traditional buttons of somewhat random size and quality are not an acceptable solution. If i only played one or two guitars, Grolsch washers would suit me just fine - they are effective. Since I have many and don’t like leaving straps on in a rack or case, I like Dunlop buttons on everything. My one or two favorite straps work everywhere.

Since nobody asked, a seatbelt strap on most solidbodies and fat leather straps for bass and badly balanced electrics. :D

19. teleplayr

teleplayr Tele-Afflicted

I've used/am using, both Schaller & Dunlop "Strap locks" and haven't had an issue with either for over 30 years.

Occasionally check and make sure they're tight, you should be OK.

20. Hey_you

Hey_you Tele-Afflicted

The part that causes me to to dislike em is due to the threaded piece drops below the housing.It is spring loaded, of course. I can see if it were a couple mm longer there would be no problem to re-attach the ball. A major design flaw imo_Other than that. I would use them. Grolsch for me!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.