Strap Length

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by klkampman, Apr 12, 2018.

1. Rich724

Rich724 Tele-Meister

At sitting down height with the neck at a 45 degree angle.

2. Owenmoney

Owenmoney Tele-Afflicted

Below my belt line with the neck parallel to the ground, I don’t hold it like that but that’s where it sits when parallel. Teles get 54 “ strats get 52” due to the upper horn. It’s low, but I don’t think it’s ridiculously low. It’s at a relaxed height. I use leather straps with the smooth side against my body so the guitar slides to where I want it easily.

3. mijstrat72

mijstrat72 Tele-Afflicted

Here's a funny thing...I bought a Oem style Fender strap...at full length the guitar hangs around my knees...totally way too long

4. edvard

edvard Friend of Leo's

I'm a tall guy, but all I need is like 3 inches lower than the standard strap, it drives me nuts. I bought one of those Everly "Monkey Man" straps that can go to 69 inches just to get those extra 3. Nobody carries those straps anymore, so I'm considering getting some webbing and buckles to make my own. I like the bridge right around pocket/hip height, lower if I'm playing bass. Speaking of which, I washer-and-bolted a length of leather from an old worn-out belt to get the extra length on my bass strap, works pretty good...

klkampman likes this.
  5. INFANT

INFANT Tele-Holic

Don't know if this is considered high or medium height. All I know is that it sits nicely on my belly and feels quite comfortable. I know it's definitely not a bow tie! Best of all, I don't have to worry about buckle rash!
    FB_IMG_1516060417197-1.jpg

6. bftfender

bftfender Poster Extraordinaire

ever since sat in in my cuz jazz band,nothing like a SG for a jazz gig, i started putting my guitar up higher, way more access to lead work, they all play in dinner clubs and my first gig ever in a black jacket lol, sometimes still wear it for my rock gigs..lasts about 3 songs

7. Tony Forman

Tony Forman Tele-Holic

About the same as Roy Buchanan.

8. A.B.Negative

A.B.Negative Friend of Leo's

Then there's Church of Misery low!

Attached Files:

LutherBurger and Bruxist like this.
  9. red57strat

red57strat Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I broke my wrists in a fall many years ago. That kind of thing never really heals completely. As I age, they get aggravated easier and my guitar strap has gotten shorter and shorter.

10. Ira7

Ira7 Doctor of Teleocity

Bingo.

This shortens up your stretch along the entire neck incredibly. And is ASTOUNDINGLY easy on the wrist. Your shoulders will also thank you. And your back. And your legs.

I guess we all want to be "cool" and this isn't considered cool. We look stupid to many just sitting, but I don't care. Playing like this, I can kiss my upper horn, pups, and strings. They're all right in my face.

But here are my two additions to this technique:

I use an angled foot rest under my left foot, and I strive for more vertical than 45 degrees! If I could perfect 90, I would do start playing like that.

My biggest problem is finding the right chair/stool. I really prefer a short and low-backed swivel stool.

TeeHee:

I said "stool."

11. Ira7

Ira7 Doctor of Teleocity

Look at my reply about sitting down on the proper chair/stool using a footrest.

12. Mechanic

Mechanic Friend of Leo's

Image1524672029.601015.jpg
    Not the one I wanted but you get the idea.
    Standing and playing is a challenge to me. Sitting is now also a challenge to me. During the last stay in the hospital, they gave me some meds that had estrogen in it.
    Stop laughing now. Moobs are painful and ALL guitars make playing painful. So I’m trying out playing some where between Buck and our esteemed Keef.

Sorry but you think you’ve got problems!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.