1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Strap Height

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by gitapik, Mar 9, 2016.

1. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

I agree also each to his own.
    Guys that play at crotch level actually make it hard on the wrist and tendons, like a U clamp, must be rough on the left wrist.

2. 10thoufirst

10thoufirst Tele-Holic

I know why that is, it's for the same reason that I lengthen mine...;)

3. nosuch

nosuch Friend of Leo's

The strat balances better because of the horn. That's why the guys at fender modified the original design – for the P-Bass originally. And Les Pauls have such a heavy body they have noch chance but to balance well. ;-)

Teles with light bodies and big necks can be a bit neck heavy. So a middle weight may be more comfortable to play – that's why I prefer my AV52 over my own DIY creations again. But you said your asat is quiet heavy already?

I would try a strap that's a little rough inside - most leather straps or a cotton strap. At least that's what works for me. The planet waves cotton straps work well with my neck heavy telecasters. Distributes the weight evenly and the neck stays where I want it. If the guitar is uncomfortable heavy a padded leather strap may do the trick.

4. telex76

telex76 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I like my strap to carry the load even when I'm sitting. It stays in the same place when I stand.
    Fairly high slung.

5. Old Bill

Old Bill Tele-Holic

I've found that guitar straps get shorter as your beer belly gets bigger:D

6. songtalk

songtalk Friend of Leo's

This.

7. gitapik

gitapik Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

Thanks for all the replies, guys.

I've ordered a Mono "The Betty" strap, both for the width/padding (even weight distribution) and the interior keeps the guitar in place. I think I'll probably keep wearing it higher than my Strat and LP (though they're not glam rock low, by any means). Never done that before but it really does make a difference.

The info about the body weight and body style was really interesting. I didn't know that Fender had developed the Strat's shape to address the neck angle. It's very effective and my most comfortable guitar (standing and sitting).

To the poster who couldn't believe that the G&L is more "Fender" than a Tele:

I think the idea is that the ASAT Classic was Leo's first creation, 10 years to the day after he gave up Fender to CBS. And a lot of the original members of the G&L team are still there, as opposed to Fender, which has had a long time to see a lot of changeovers.

I say it's "really not a Tele" because it's definitely got it's own sound…and I don't say it as: "Aw shucks! Wish it sounded like a Tele". I don't think Leo wanted that. And I don't either. I love Teles and we all know how many players are out there who can make them sing (you might be one)…but there's a reason why I chose the ASAT Classic. It's got a voice and feel that I love. Not a knock on Teles. Just a shout out for the G&L.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.