1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Strap Height

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by gitapik, Mar 9, 2016.

1. gitapik

gitapik Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

This is a general topic, as I have an ASAT Classic, which isn't really a Tele. So this is more of a "T" Style guitar topic.

My go to electric guitars through the years have been a Les Paul and a Strat. Both of them hang at angle that, as a classical guitarist, I'm really comfortable with.

The G&L hangs a bit more parallel to the ground and, though I've adapted to it, I can't say as I like it. But I do love the guitar.

Last night I shortened my strap length. A lot. Though it didn't change the angle, it did make the access to the neck (especially near the head stock) a lot more accessible.

Tonight I'm going to do this again and play for a couple of hours to see how it effects my shoulder. The other thing about that neck angle is that it tends to pull down on the shoulder, which makes for some discomfort, not helped by the fact that it's a fairly heavy ax. I'm hoping that this change in strap height will make a difference there.

Is this particular angle a characteristic of Teles, in general? How do you like to adjust your strap?

2. Georox

Georox Friend of Leo's

I adjust it so it's comfortable for me.

3. Blue Bill

Blue Bill Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Yeah, I would say every guitar is a little different, trial and error finds the comfy spot. I started out with my guitars down by my knees, like Jimmy Page; the older I get, the higher it rides.

voodoostation and old soul like this.
  4. crossroader

crossroader Tele-Afflicted

Ditto.
    And each guitar might be a little bit different, so I usually have a strap for each guitar.

5. Owenmoney

Owenmoney Tele-Afflicted

I usually wear my guitar pretty low, I use 54 " straps and I always put the smooth side against me and the rough side of the leather out, then I can move the guitar as I please while playing !

6. gitapik

gitapik Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

I'm curious about the neck angle when it's hanging, though. I wouldn't call my G&L a neck diver…but the neck definitely hangs at less of an angle than my Strat and LP. Is this what a T style is like, due to the design of the body?

7. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

8. ricardo1912

ricardo1912 Friend of Leo's

My guitar straps have got shorter over the years :)

9. wiretap

wiretap Tele-Meister

I haven't really noticed any way the teles hang versus an LP. I also sling my straps low though so I naturally tilt the neck upwards when playing more labor intensive parts so to speak. If anything the lack of an arch top is the main difference for me, have to flatten my right arm against the guitar a bit more.

10. FenderGuy53

FenderGuy53 Poster Extraordinaire

Firstly, your G&L is arguably MORE a Tele than a Fender Tele!

Secondly, your Les Paul and Strat have heavier bodies, so the natural tendency would be a neck angled upward.

The solution would be to get a heavier body, or try a strap with some texture in the material, to offer some resistance to slippage. As some have mentioned, shortening the length of the strap will bring the fretboard within working distance.

11. HotRodSteve

HotRodSteve Poster Extraordinaire

I adjust the guitar strap so that the guitar is pretty much the same height when I play sitting or standing.

songtalk and Mr. Lumbergh like this.
  12. sbpark

sbpark Friend of Leo's

I've always slung my Teles pretty high, but for whatever reason as I get older I'm actually lengthening my guitar straps and slinging them lower and lower.

13. simond

simond Tele-Holic

I adjust my straps while sitting. Then everything more or less stays the same when standing.

songtalk likes this.
  14. jaybones

jaybones Friend of Leo's

I've always tried to play as close to classical position as I can. Neck at as near 45 degrees as possible, thumb in the middle of the back of the neck, wrist loose and fingers spread and arched over the strings, finger tips touching the strings, shoulders square, back straight, head up and chest normally out. Consequently, I wear my guitars fairly high.

15. Georox

Georox Friend of Leo's

What????

16. surfoverb

surfoverb Doctor of Teleocity

i wear mine high-dork high. Its almost the same as when sitting as standing.

songtalk likes this.
  17. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Ad Free Member

Yeah, me too. I started out on classical and then went to jazz, so for years I had my straps pretty short and the headstock high. In the past couple years I started using my thumb over the top of the neck and playing those voicings where the pinky is playing the root, and the headstock has moved lower and the straps have started getting longer.

18. fendertx

fendertx Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free + Supporter

In addition to adjusting the strap for proper height, consider strap width. For heavier guitars a wider strap makes a huge difference. Better weight distribution across the shoulder and more surface area to help it stay put.

19. Beachbum

Beachbum Friend of Leo's

I try to stand as little as possible.:)

20. Bourboncaster

Bourboncaster TDPRI Member

I like to use a strap with a nylon underside. That way I can easily move the neck angle where I need it depending on where I'm playing on it.
    Also for me, keeping it higher is usually a lot more comfortable. Less pressure on the upper back.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.