1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Strap button - alternative placement

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Jonloder, Oct 19, 2020.

1. Jonloder

Jonloder TDPRI Member

I've always noticed Brad Paisley's alternate strap button placement. It seems to be on the neckplate or somewhere in that area. Today, I noticed that Brent Mason seems to use something similar. Can anyone explain the reasoning behind that?

I have two telecasters, a MIM and a 2003 Highway One. When I try something new, I test it out on the MIM. If I like it, the beloved H1 gets the treatment. I'm planning on trying this. I mostly want to know where the alternate placement should be. Any suggestions?

Greggorios likes this.
  2. Greggorios

Greggorios Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Jonloder likes this.
  3. Jonloder

Jonloder TDPRI Member

I think I just figured all of this out. These guys aren't mounting buttons in alternative locations. They're using benders. A bender is a device I've never heard of. Why doesn't somebody tell me these things?!?

That's the problem with guitar accessories. One minute you don't know something exists. The next minute, you can't live without it. Go figure.

4. WalthamMoosical

WalthamMoosical Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

Yeah I never even heard of TDPRI a year ago!

Greggorios and Fretting out like this.
  5. P Thought

P Thought Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

The first time I heard of a B-bender, on another forum, I thought the poster was joking, and I sort of joked back. Ticked him off, I guess. Sorry. :(

Greggorios and Fretting out like this.
  6. casey2910

casey2910 Tele-Meister

There are 2 distinct types of benders. 1 requires more routing than the other. You can also install a hipshot device that can be activated by your picking hand.

7. Jonloder

Jonloder TDPRI Member

I believe I've seen those and didn't know what they were. I'm learning all kinds of guitar things today.

8. SixStringSlinger

SixStringSlinger Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

For those two guys I'm all but certain the "alternative" placement is bender related. There are other bender types the involve pressing the butt of the guitar against your hip, different pickhand motions, etc. There's a neat-looking one called a B-Blender that integrates with a Bigsby that I'm curious about.

Of course, there are guitars where a behind-the-neck-joint strap button is just a strap button. My Reverend Tricky Gomez is like that. It works fine, though the guitar does want to sort of "fall forward" a bit. It's not problematic, just something to get used to.

I have an acoustic with a similar strap button placement, though that one really feels weird (perhaps due to an acoustic's thickness compared to the Reverend). If I'm going to use a strap on that one, I prefer the kind that ties around the headstock.

Greggorios likes this.
  9. Telecentric

Telecentric Tele-Holic

10. Chicken Curry

Chicken Curry TDPRI Member

Button position could affect where the neck is positioned relative to your body. I think that's why I like Teles so much, because the neck is shifted further to the left. If you move it behind the neckplate, the neck (in theory, because I haven't played one) will shift even further left, which I think is great! Easier to play high up the neck.

In comparison, the neck of my Strat shifts further right because the left strap button is further left and sits further out.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.