STRANGEST THING YOU SAW WHILE DRIVING

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by FenderGyrl, Jun 1, 2019.

1. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

I wouldn't say that this is an unusual occurrence here in B-Town, but it's something you don't see everyday.

[​IMG]

2. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Here’s one.
    About 35 years ago, after an out of town gig, I gave a bandmate a ride home
    He lived near UT, near a bar called either Dirty Sally’s or Sally’s Apartment, memory no longer serves.
    After I dropped him off, I saw:
    Three guys in drag, wearing matching white mini skirts, and white wigs, holding hands walking in the middle of the street.
    Way before cell phone cameras.
    You’ll have to take my word for it.
    Anyways, that’s all I got.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2019
    Random1643 likes this.
  3. HoodieMcFoodie

HoodieMcFoodie Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I saw a guy walking down the footpath with a recliner chair balanced upside down on his head, like he was wearing a hat.

FenderGyrl likes this.
  4. Larmo63

Larmo63 Tele-Afflicted

We went back to Peoria, Illinois for Trudy's high school reunion and we were on the I74 going to the pre-party and all of a sudden she screams out that there is a car headed right at us. A lady in a big old Buick or Oldsmobile four door sedan is cruising the wrong way just as calm as can be. We missed her, and I never heard of any accident or mishap, but we called 911 post haste.

Chunkocaster likes this.
  5. stanger

stanger Tele-Meister

I was driving home after a gig in the middle of a bad, windy winter night. The roads were solid ice and the wind whipping the snow around made the visibility very limited.

As I was going over a particularly nasty stretch along some open fields, I saw what appeared to be 2 guys walking side by side from way up in the field in the snow, coming down toward the road.

It was about -30 outside with the wind chill, so I began slowing down, thinking they may have gotten stuck or something and needed a ride to some shelter. The closest town was over 5 miles away.

The road was really slick I began slowing gradually, trying to time my stop to when they would be by the road.

A good thing I did. It wasn't 2 guys walking side by side. What it was was a huge, enormous, bull moose that was all black except for 4 white legs and some white fringe on his beard. All I could see was the white in the blowing snow.

Good thing I did slow down to a stop. If I had skidded into that moose both of us would have died. I was the only person on the road at 3:00 a.m.
    regards,
    stanger

Hatfield92 and Random1643 like this.
  6. Slowpoke

Slowpoke Tele-Afflicted

Some years back my wife and I got pulled over by the Cops because we were towing a caravan heading north for a couple of months of winter to Shark Bay. I was getting a right dressing down for being clocked at 110 k's per hour while towing a caravan when the limit for towing caravans at that time in Australia was 90K's. While I was engaged with the Cop another landcruiser drove past with a caravan on the back and on the back of the caravan was being towed a boat on its trailer. The Cops saw this and uttered some naughty words referring to a self sexual act (f**k me) and immediate forgot about me and jumped in their cruiser and was gone like a bat out of hell after that poor unfortunate but stupid motorist.

Another time much earlier I was in Germany driving a 10 ton Army Truck with an empty trailer hanging on the back and heading toward Hamburg on the Autobahn. There was an officer (a Captain) as a passenger and he suddenly said "Oh look there's a wheel overtaking us." As it passed us I noticed it was Khaki Green in color and there was no other Army vehicles on the Autobahn anywhere near us. So I kept up with the wheel until it hit the concrete verge and fell over, as soon as I stopped I heard a bump and my trailer (wheel less side) dropped onto the road. With help from some German truckies we managed to get the trailer up on the back of the truck and continue our journey.. S

Matt G likes this.
  7. Dixon in Korea

Dixon in Korea Tele-Meister

9B7F4011-512B-4680-8E10-952147C7B603.jpeg
    On the drive home from work.

8. suave eddie

suave eddie Tele-Afflicted

1979, driving to a Dead concert in Oakland. Going east on 580 toward the Richmond/San Rafael bridge where it passes San Quentin. It's a two lane highway at that point and I'm in the left lane. Up ahead I can see a guy emerging from the bushes on the right shoulder. He pulls on a knapsack and starts trotting across the freeway. I can see pretty quickly that our paths will meet unless something changes. I locked up my wheels and leaned on the horn. He literally ran into my car where the windshield meets the front right fender. I did not hit him, he actually hit me and bounced back onto the roadway. I pulled over in the median strip as well as several other cars. He survived but messed up his knee pretty good. My '65 Chevy needed a new windshield, wiper blade and antenna. I talked to him in the hospital a few days later and he says he never saw me or heard my horn.

Chunkocaster likes this.
  9. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

A few times I have had a car heading towards me driving the wrong way down the road at speed. The first time it happened the person eventually realised and did a panicked turn around. The second time they continued down the road refusing to change direction or slow down despite everyone having to do emergency lane changes and me hanging out the window hurling abuse at them while blowing the horn. It's now happening more often since we have a lot of people from undeveloped countries being imported and let loose on the roads with a poor level of driving skills or training. A few months ago a group decided the middle of the train tracks were as good as any place to take a nap. It made the news and held public transportation up for hours.

LocoTex likes this.
  10. DonM

DonM Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Back in the '70's I was heading west on I-70 in a VW bus and a utility truck with one of those large (6 ft. or so) wooden spools of telephone cable on a two-wheel caisson-like trailer was in front of me. All of a sudden it starts bouncing up and down and I told my friend that something's wrong with that thing. It continued bouncing and then lifted several feet in the air, did a twist and broke from the truck. Going freeway speed with cars on both sides of me I had no where to go and driving a VW bus there's practically nothing between you and the highway. I sat there with a death grip on the steering wheel watching this giant contraption go flying up in the air and rolling past me at over 60 mph down the middle of the interstate. I had to keep driving so I couldn't watch what all happened but I know it made contact with drivers behind me. I still get nervous when on the interstate and I see some of those rickety trailers and campers whizzing past me.

Random1643 likes this.
  11. RoscoeElegante

RoscoeElegante Friend of Leo's

Humanity perpetuating itself while also risking itself, about a dozen times now. Most conspicuously when the parties thus partying bumped the dome light on and, on and off, in a steady rhythm. That was while all travelers were enduring Indiana's endless, and lushly ripe, cornfields, so the power of suggestion was well at the wheel.... Not at all strange, then, except in the luck or skill involved: all of them kept within their lanes.

{Insert pun about "Merge" signs here.}

12. AAT65

AAT65 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

13. dougstrum

dougstrum Tele-Holic

We were going up to visit cousins near Baltimore. We live out in the country; so beltway driving always takes some grit.

We were on 695 and passing a really slow car, I looked over and saw an old couple wearing helmets.:lol:

That was probably 30yrs ago~Now we are old and have kids in Northern VA. Perhaps it's time to break out the helmets:rolleyes:

14. mad dog

mad dog Friend of Leo's

Two different sights, different years, virtually the same spot on a road in northern VT:

- Female moose drinking out of a large puddle. (They splay their front legs to get down, looks really odd.)

- Long-haired man wearing only a loincloth and sandles, carrying a huge cross on his shoulder. (The bottom of the cross had a little wheel attached so he could drag it with less effort.)

Teddyjack and FenderGyrl like this.
  15. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Poster Extraordinaire

Yesterday.
    I was pulling onto the highway as a motorcycle passed in front of me, I pulled in behind what I assumed to be askinny young man riding it.
    A black object flew off the bike and slid to the side of the road. I realized it was a phone so I stopped and picked it up.
    I was hoping I didn't have to chase toofar because I was in a company vehicle.
    Anyway the biker soon realized the loss and was turning around to find the phone.
    I was honking and holding the phone out the window.
    We circled around and met in a parking lot. Turned out to be a tiny, wrinkled, elderly woman.
    I handed her the phone and she thanked me said, "I had it on the back of my bike because I have broken fingers." at which point she held up both her middle fingers with splints on them.
    I guess she flipped off the wrong person...
    There must be some big backstory but I'll never know it.
    At least I did my good deed. Yesterday was a strange day anyway.

Matt G, LocoTex, Cheecharron and 2 others like this.
  16. stxrus

stxrus Friend of Leo's

I remember the first time I drove in Houston freeway traffic. I WAS in a MGB heading to the Houston Boat Show when I realized I had huge Simi trucks in front, behind, & on both sides. We’re doing 70MPH when I realize I’m looking at the lug nuts of the truck to my left. I suddenly felt very small & vulnerable

Matt G, Telecastoff1 and RodeoTex like this.
  17. Bob Womack

Bob Womack Tele-Holic

If you had been on the highway between Ten Mile, Tennessee and Spring City (original home of Cracker Barrel Restaurants) in the summer of 1975 you would have seen a funny sight on the highway. I worked as a maintenance man at a summer camp out there. Every once in a while the camp manager would take the staff to the local drive-in theater on a Saturday night between loads of campers. To do this we'd load the extended bed Ford 100 pickup with two rows of rocking chairs, I think it was eight in all. We'd load up the staff in the rocking chairs with quilts over their legs and go to the drive in. Once there we parked sideways between two sound posts, pull the speakers over, and enjoyed the movie.

Of course, in transit you'd see a load of people riding in rocking chairs facing sideways in the bed of an old beat-up Ford pickup, zipping down the highway. Being young, exuberant, and of mixed genders, you can imagine the vignettes we concocted for the benefit of other drivers as we sped by in the rocking chairs. All in good clean fun, though.

Bob

LocoTex likes this.
  18. Hatfield92

Hatfield92 Tele-Meister

About a decade ago, I was headed east on I64 between Richmond and Williamsburg. There, the interstate narrows to two lanes in each direction.

I’d just gotten into the left lane and was beginning to pass a tractor trailer, when I noticed a deer was about to run onto the interstate. I did a pretty sudden stop, without endangering anybody behind me or anything.

The poor semi driver couldn’t do much except plow right into that poor deer.

It was one of those “I couldn’t look away” moments. It seemed to be slow motion, as that poor animal was suddenly flying through the air, accented by orange, sparkly fragments of the truck’s reflectors.

It was awful, but it was also a pretty spectacular sight, in a weird way.

19. O- Fender

O- Fender Tele-Afflicted

One evening driving through Northern Ontario, I had 6 or so deer run across the highway. They were being pursued by 4 wolves.

Another time, driving down a country road, there was a clearing and two bull moose were battling it out. I watched a bit but realized I was too close and a Toyota wouldn't give much protection or enough acceleration to get away if one decided to charge at me.

Years ago, my wife and I drove across Australia from Sydney to Perth:
    We drove through a roadside rest area. We rounded a corner and startled a bird having his lunch. He flew off but dropped his meal, a headless tiger snake, on our windscreen.

We were in the middle of nowhere and an ostrich was standing by the road, watching us pass. We stopped, watched it watch us for a while. We were excited that on the trip we saw emu and an ostrich... then it dawned on us that ostriches aren't native to Oz . Someone's escaped pet or one of the many feral animals.

Driving past fields, I looked over as some birds were taking flight and a very large lizard jumped up and caught one in mid air.

20. esseff

esseff Tele-Holic

Botswana #1. Came round a corner and there was a ratty old car driving along by itself at about 30 km/h. Followed it for a minute or so, completely dumbfounded and then overtook it. Looked at the driver's position and saw a tiny old woman who could barely see over the dashboard. Heaven-knows how her feet could reach the pedals.

Botswana #2 Driving along the Maun - Nata road and there was a dinosaur a couple of hundred yards in the bush. Time passes by slowly in Africa but not that slowly. Turned out to be a display piece for a tourist camp or something...

Lerwick, Shetland. Stopped at a roundabout to give way to someone riding a tall unicycle.

Matt G likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.