Stranger In A Bottle

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by stxrus, Sep 16, 2021.

1. stxrus

stxrus Poster Extraordinaire

I’m not a song writer nor am I a singer. That’s the truth
    Back in the mid ‘70s I wrote a song that I really thought was good.

My friend Joe is a great singer and also liked the song. We noodled around for a few days and went into the small studio that our friend Bill had.
    Joe and I spent a few hours recording my tune. We tried different styles, genres, and instruments.

As the sun was rising we had done all we could do. We were toast but felt good. A couple of days later we listened to the tapes. We both decided the acoustic version was the best. We made three copies of the acoustic and put that on cassette

Bill’s studio was next to a shaky Chinese restaurant. There was a fire and the restaurant and studio were a total loss. All copies of my song were lost except for the three cassettes

A friend was doing a very low budget film about a family falling apart from alcohol/drub abuse. He wanted to use Stranger In A Bottle in his film. I got mailbox money (for a few months but not a lot) and the film got moderate acclaim

Jump ahead a bunch of years and I find the last remainder copy of my song on cassette. This tape is 47 years old. I’m not sure if I can reclaim it in 2021.

The hand written lead sheet can’t be found. Hopefully I’ve just overlooked it

Four months ago I tried to reconstruct the song. Remembering the lyrics from that long ago was a major challenge. I’m pretty sure I have them as they were first written. I’m not a singer so putting the changes against the lyrics has been a major challenge

Today I think it has all come together. I thought there were three chords but it seems like two chords fit. Am & E7.

I’m not a singer but over the next few weeks I’m hoping to record this. If I can get a close(to me) rendition maybe I’ll get a real singer to record it.

Of the six songs I’ve written in my lifetime this is my favorite

Thanks for reading this. I just needed to put this out out for my own benefit

2. telekaster1999

telekaster1999 Tele-Afflicted

Please share your song. I'd love to hear it.

Fretting out and Greggorios like this.
  3. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

Sounds like a nasty drunk. ;)

4. Skyhook

Skyhook Tele-Holic

If I let little things like that stop me, I'd never get any songs written or recorded. :)

Timbresmith1 and stinkey like this.
  5. MarkieMark

MarkieMark Friend of Leo's

I had a single tape of a similar age, of a song I wrote. The only existing copy performed in rehearsal...
    Upon attempting to play it for the purpose of digitizing the copy- it literally disintegrated. De-laminated. Crumbled into a little pile of unsuccessful flakes.
    I got over it.

6. dented

dented Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

Awesome story. Do it! Best wishes for your own success.

7. stxrus

Thanks. At the time it was just a bunch of friends getting together and playing when we could and suddenly this happened.

I’m not looking to do anything with it but there is guy on island I will approach about maybe playing it when he gets back on stage

This whole episode has awakened many forgotten thoughts and events of that time. All of them good in one way or another

Tele Slacker, dented and Toto'sDad like this.
  8. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

You don't dare play it here on the BD, one of us singing stars is liable to steal it, cut a hit record, make millions, go on tour, and there you'd siting by the doc of the bay, watching the tide roll in thinking of what might have been.

dented, Fretting out and Telekarster like this.
  9. getbent

getbent Telefied Gold Supporter

I'd love to hear it

dented likes this.
  10. stxrus

That’s alright. I’ll just sit on my deck, watching the Caribbean roll on past Buck Island while sipping on a martini.
    I doubt it would ever be a hit record but it worked in the low budget film my friend Fitz put together. Other local Dallas players (none of any notoriety) did most of the music
    Until there is a copy on tape or disc this is all a moot point. Except the deck, martini, Caribbean thing

Dan German and Toto'sDad like this.
  11. Toto'sDad

Well, at least you got the important things right! :)

12. Telekarster

Telekarster Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Hey man, FWIW - I'm working on a project right now with a good friend of mine who was a serious touring rocker for most of his career, toured the world with some very big names etc. Anyway, about a year ago I'm helping him clean out his garage and I came across this old box, full of 10" Teac reels! I said "Hey man... what's all this about?" He says "Oh... yeah man... those are recordings of original songs I did back in 67-71". I about flipped! Make a long story short, incredibly, we were able to get those songs off those old reels and digitize them. As of right now our band is in the process of re-recording all of these songs. There's about a dozen that are really good, and a few that I think probably would've been top 10 hits had they ever been released back then! Point is - We were able to do it. Sure we had a few breaks and had to splice etc. but out of miles and miles of tape we captured probably 90% of what was there! His tapes, for decades, were kept in the worse environs possible yet they survived. You'd have to be careful with yours, being a cassette and all, but it's certainly possible to do.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2021
    Toto'sDad likes this.
  13. Toto'sDad

I surely wasn't making fun of you, or your efforts at song writing. One time a friend of mine made up some CDs of some songs she had written and performed with her local band. I loaned the CD she gave me to a friend of mine who had no interest in music, but thought the songs were pretty cool. When my friend found out I had let the CD out of my possession she had a cow, and two calves right there on the spot.

After we got the cow, and her calves bedded down for the night, I assured her that the CD was back in my possession, and that if would have helped a tiny bit if she had told me how she felt BEFORE I let anyone else listen to her songs. She feared that the songs would be stolen right from under her nose, and no doubt Elton John would be the guy who got 'em, and would be on tour within a very short time with them. Well, as it would turn out, that was abut twenty five years ago, and neither she nor Elton John has done a thing with the material. The cow has passed on, and the two calves went to live on the farm.

Dan German and Telekarster like this.
  14. Fretting out

Fretting out Doctor of Teleocity Platinum Supporter

How dare you! Share a story about an awesome song and not play it!

There must be laws against this! Some type of mental abuse....or something

Gather the pitchforks boys, we’ll make him play it!

Toto'sDad and Telekarster like this.
  15. Jim622

Jim622 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

You have to redo it. You can’t let it die.

16. Telekarster

Telekarster Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Ha! Yep, TD, one thing I didn't mention is that the very first thing we did with his songs was catalog em and got em all copywrited. They are all fully protected, officially... after nearly 50 years of being hidden away in the dark! LOL!!! The Copywrite office sent us an official certification for each song, and we have them all framed and hanging in the recording studio for all to see ;) Looks kinda cool too! Oh yeah... we have copies too, just in case ;)

Toto'sDad likes this.
  17. Bartholomew3

Bartholomew3 Friend of Leo's

I have a couple of cassettes created by a New York pro songwriter buddy in 1966.

There's drop-out but I did a transfer from a cassette player into my PC recording program and was able to cut noise and make it workable a couple of years back. The biggest challenge was finding somebody to lend me a cassette deck - hard to find a unit these days.

A few vocal lines didn't make it but most did. So try it and maybe get lucky...

Or find a recording studio that has a cassette player to clean it up digitally.

18. adjason

adjason Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Yes, please record it -even if just on a phone and post it

19. telleutelleme

telleutelleme Telefied Silver Supporter

Great memory, glad you have a chance to relive some of it. Congrats.

dented likes this.
  20. stxrus

Hey guys
    I’m really going to try to get it recorded again. I know it won’t be the same but the very fact that I could recreate this is great to me.
    Remember this is not a get up and dance tune. It’s very dark and deals with a situation I’m not really familiar with. I’ve been told it’s too close to home to folks I know that have been there. Alcohol and pills may or may not be the central part of the story. Today it could be a mental health issue

Dan German and stevemc like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.